"Overclocking failed" but no overclocking attempted

Old November 13th 04, 03:35 PM
jbgcjncg

Default "Overclocking failed" but no overclocking attempted

Okay, so my A64 3000+ system occasionally emits this sound as if a
wire is touching a spinning. After a little bit of makig it, it stops.
I'm really not sure what's up with that, but I'm fairly sure that no
wires are actually in any fans.

So anyway, when it began to make this sound today, I was rebooting
right around then, and when the American Megatrends logo showed up, I
was told that overclocking failed.

I ran ASUS probe to look at temperatures. MB is stable at 23C and CPU
is between 25-27C. Voltages appear to be consistent as well.

Should I be worried? Is my system trying to overclock itself?
Old November 13th 04, 06:42 PM
CoCo

jbgcjncg wrote:
Okay, so my A64 3000+ system occasionally emits this sound as if a
wire is touching a spinning. After a little bit of makig it, it stops.
I'm really not sure what's up with that, but I'm fairly sure that no
wires are actually in any fans.

So anyway, when it began to make this sound today, I was rebooting
right around then, and when the American Megatrends logo showed up, I
was told that overclocking failed.

I ran ASUS probe to look at temperatures. MB is stable at 23C and CPU
is between 25-27C. Voltages appear to be consistent as well.

Should I be worried? Is my system trying to overclock itself?

hi

no but you may have instable power. (or maybe a fan is going dead soon)

coco
Old November 14th 04, 12:53 AM
jbgcjncg

CoCo wrote in message ...
jbgcjncg wrote:
Okay, so my A64 3000+ system occasionally emits this sound as if a
wire is touching a spinning. After a little bit of makig it, it stops.
I'm really not sure what's up with that, but I'm fairly sure that no
wires are actually in any fans.

So anyway, when it began to make this sound today, I was rebooting
right around then, and when the American Megatrends logo showed up, I
was told that overclocking failed.

I ran ASUS probe to look at temperatures. MB is stable at 23C and CPU
is between 25-27C. Voltages appear to be consistent as well.

Should I be worried? Is my system trying to overclock itself?

hi

no but you may have instable power. (or maybe a fan is going dead soon)

coco

I put this system together about a month ago, and first noticed the
sound 3-4 days ago. Other than that "overclocking" episode, it's been
working perfectly. Voltage monitor software shows all stable voltages,
I have a not-so-shabby Enermax PSU and all fans are new. I suppose
it's still possible, but I don't know.
Old November 15th 04, 01:53 AM
Dennis E Strausser Jr

"jbgcjncg" wrote in message
om...
CoCo wrote in message

jbgcjncg wrote:
[...]

Watts, how many?
I've heard it's good to have @ least a 450 W PSU or higher for almost all
the
AMD 64's.
I just might've took that long to start having problems.
+
Put you hand at the back of your PSU, is it cool air coming out or warm.
If it's warm air, your overworking your PSU & you need a higher one.
If it's cool air, then it's not having any problems.
Also keep in mind how much stuff you have running off of that PSU
Hard Drives, CD-Roms, etc, etc.
Almost all hd's are about 15W each
CD-Roms are sometimes as much as 30W
CPU's as high as 70W and over.
boards take up around, well I would have to say close to half as much, if
not more.
Some boards today take up almost as much as the CPU.
I would guess your cpu is closer to 90 or 100 Watts.
I just did the figures on mine, and without Overclock, I get 315W
I only have a 350 in this thing, so I am cutting it close.
I also counted my Black Light, and don't always have it on.
Denny. ;-) :-)
Denny. ;-) :-)

Old November 15th 04, 11:36 PM
jbgcjncg

[...]

Hi, thanks for the suggestions.

The air coming out of my PSU is cool, and I doubt I'm overworking it
because it's a 430W Enermax and I only have one HD and one CD-ROM.
That and the CPU on its own 12V line, so there should be enough
wattage. I don't seem to be experiencing any other problems, other
than what I outlined above, but the slight rattling sound does
periodically come and go. Sometimes, it comes right as I turn the
computer on. Confusion.
Old November 16th 04, 03:54 AM
Michael Brown

jbgcjncg wrote:
Okay, so my A64 3000+ system occasionally emits this sound as if a
wire is touching a spinning. After a little bit of makig it, it stops.
I'm really not sure what's up with that, but I'm fairly sure that no
wires are actually in any fans.

Prime suspect would be northbridge fan, GPU fan, or any other fans in the
40mm range. Most northbridge fans tend to start having problems within 6
months, sometimes sooner.

So anyway, when it began to make this sound today, I was rebooting
right around then, and when the American Megatrends logo showed up, I
was told that overclocking failed.

I had an ASUS board that did this periodically. IIRC it seemed to be caused
more often than not when the system wasn't soft-powered off (for example,
sometimes came up when you hit the reset button if Windows locked up). Just
check to make sure nothing's configured oddly in the BIOS and don't worry
about it

[...]
--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more

Old November 17th 04, 12:58 AM
jbgcjncg

"Michael Brown" wrote in message ...
jbgcjncg wrote:
[...]

I think you may have nailed it.

I do have an ASUS K8V-X board, and I do believe that before I did this
controlled reboot, I switched the computer off while it was booting
because the sound scared the crap out of me. ASUS weirdness? Perhaps,
but it better not be attempting anything funny. I'm quite happy with
the board, otherwise.

I'll check out the fans from up close again, thanks for the hints!
Old November 17th 05, 12:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

I just started building my own computer using the Asus k8v-x but it
hangs during the install of XP. Then when I reset it I get the same
Overclocking Failed error. Asus recommended a bios
update on the bord using their aflash.exe program so I tried but when
I go to do it I get an error that reads ERROR, cant find
system BIOS hook. ANY HELP?????