Asus M2V-MX Motherboard AMD Socket AM2

Old April 27th 08, 06:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Desmond

Default Asus M2V-MX Motherboard AMD Socket AM2

Am I loosing the plot with SATA. This board comes with 2 SATA
connections. Older motherboards came with 2 IDEs. The IDEs had master
and slave totaling 4 devices. I can only have 2 devices on this
motherboard?

Desmond.

Old April 27th 08, 08:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Desmond wrote:
Am I loosing the plot with SATA. This board comes with 2 SATA
connections. Older motherboards came with 2 IDEs. The IDEs had master
and slave totaling 4 devices. I can only have 2 devices on this
motherboard?

Desmond.

Two on the PATA ribbon cable. Two via the two SATA connectors.
A total of four devices. You paid $49 for a motherboard, and
you got capability for four devices total.

For $90, this one has two PATA (on one ribbon cable) and six SATA.
The extra $40 buys you four more SATA ports.

For $180, this one has two PATA, six SATA (Southbridge), two SATA
(on a separate SIL3132 controller).

And you can always buy an add-in card with more storage
interfaces, if you want to. For $20, you can get two
extra SATA ports. This card is from Syba and uses a
SIL3132 PCI Express x1 chip to make the two ports.
(This would only work if you have the M2V-MX SE, as it
has a PCI Express x1 slot. You can plug this into the
PCI Express x16 slot, but that would be a terrible waste
of a video card slot.)

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggIma...124-027-06.jpg

If you connect one of these boxes to the SIL3132, it converts one
SIL3132 port into five ports. Using two of these boxes
(the boxes are $100 each), you could control up to ten disks
from the SIL3132 chip.

http://www.sataport.com/

And you can always use a USB2 to SATA or USB2 to IDE adapter,
and connect disks that way (external enclosures or the bare
adapter cable products).

Paul
Old April 27th 08, 08:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Desmond

On Apr 27, 8:11*am, Paul wrote:
Desmond wrote:
[...]

Two on the PATA ribbon cable. I don't see this cable and no strange
cable came with the board. I have 2 IDE coneectors suporting 4 IDE and
2 DATA connections. I paid £60 for this ($120)

Desmond.

Old April 27th 08, 09:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Desmond wrote:
On Apr 27, 8:11 am, Paul wrote:
Desmond wrote:
[...]

The manual will have a list of the box contents. You can compare the
list of the contents in the manual, against what actually shipped.

You can also download the manual from Asus, before making a purchase
decision. Then you will know what comes in the box, and can plan
accordingly.

It could be that the motherboard box has no SATA cables in it.

This is an example of a SATA cable.

http://www.satacables.com/assets/images/P72551603.jpg
Old April 28th 08, 03:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Desmond

On Apr 27, 9:13*am, Paul wrote:
Desmond wrote:
On Apr 27, 8:11 am, Paul wrote:
Desmond wrote:
[...]

http://www.satacables.com/assets/images/P72551603.jpg- Hide quoted text -

No what I said was What is a PATA cable
Old April 28th 08, 05:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Desmond wrote:

No what I said was What is a PATA cable

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggIma...131-223-07.jpg

It is the ribbon cable on the left. That cable has 80 wires and
40 pin connectors. The cable on the right is for the floppy drive.

PATA stands for parallel ATA.

Paul