how high cpu voltage do I dare (3500+)

Old October 14th 07, 04:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Kris[_2_]

Default how high cpu voltage do I dare (3500+)

system in sig.

I have been running this cpu at 220 since I got it (a year ago?), but I never
played with the voltages, and I didn't know whether it was the cpu or memory
or what that was limiting it (I couldn't go over 223 or so).

For some reason I started playing with voltages and nvidia system tune that
came with 163.71 (nforce 6.86) and relatively easily determined that it was
the cpu (venice core as I recall) so I upped cpu, and also memory cpu orig
1.440 now 1.540 mem orig 2.60 now 2.70
pcie orig 1.5 now 1.60

I use speedfan 4.33 - cpu in cpu gets to 56C, cpu on mobo gets to 49C, idle
is 35 and 40 respectively. case abmient is about 32 or so.

cpu was retail and I use the hsf that came with it as it has always run very
cool. I do not let the mobo control the hsf speed. As I recall, I set the
bios to shut the mobo down if cpu on mobo reaches 56C.

cpu 2.40 2640mhz
HT (4x) 960
memory 480 (rather surprised this goes!)
pcie still at 100 (2500mhz) so next I will try playing with that and see.

But the question is, how high can I push the voltage on the cpu and be
relatively safe?

Case is Ultra with 120mm in in front, 120mm out in back, 80mm in on side over
cpu sorta, 350watt Ultra (600 on way) with 120mm fan.

tia!!!

--
-Kris
ABIT KN8 Ultra(NForce4Ultra), Ath64 3500+, 2x512MB Geil, Leadtek PX6600GT TDH 128mb, Leadtek WinFast TV2000 XP Expert TV card.
Old October 15th 07, 12:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Kris[_2_]

cpu 240 2640mhz --------- EDITED
HT (4x) 960
memory 480 (rather surprised this goes!)
pcie still at 100 (2500mhz) so next I will try playing with that and see.

But the question is, how high can I push the voltage on the cpu and be
relatively safe?

Case is Ultra with 120mm in in front, 120mm out in back, 80mm in on side
over cpu sorta, 350watt Ultra (600 on way) with 120mm fan.

tia!!!

I backed the cpu voltage to 1.520 which I see speedfan lists as 1.55 and
dropped cpu speed to 235 to get 3DMARK05 to not hang.

I then played around with the pci-e clock going up from 100 to 120 and got a
huge increase in 3DMARK05 from 3648 to 3666. wow. LOL. I don't understand why
it doesn't have a bigger effect, but..... That had no effect on stability.

Old October 15th 07, 01:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
rms[_2_]

But the question is, how high can I push the voltage on the cpu and be
relatively safe?

http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm#amd

The major factor is cpu temp, which must be kept well below the max case
temp as listed in the website above. You don't say which flavor of 3500+
you have, but I'd be staying 10C below the max, or 55C or so.

There are multiple variables to play with, and I'd usually judge that
when only fairly large changes to the voltage produce higher clocks, that's
when you stop.

rms

Old October 15th 07, 04:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Paul

Kris wrote:
[...]

For AMD's idea of the max value, try this doc. Note that this document never
got updated, as newer S939 processors came out, but presumably it is still
accurate. I'm not really crazy about AMD's skills at documentation. I
prefer a set of docs for each unique creation (one for 90nm, one for 65nm etc).

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/31411.pdf

On page 53, the value for VDD is the Vcore voltage.

"VDD supply voltage relative to VSS –0.3 V to 1.65 V"

So don't go over 1.65V. Officially speaking.

Since the Vcore regulator on some boards, overvolts a bit at idle, I might
choose 1.60V as the highest BIOS setting for Vcore. That leaves 0.05V of
margin, in case the regulator chip is running on the high side.

For other overclocking info, you should try looking at some threads
here. They have a search feature, so you can narrow your search down
a bit.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...splay.php?f=58

For example, the thread on "Opteron 185" will give you some
ideas as to the range of conditions those people were using
with their gear. There are probably a few other threads
there, where S939 processor get mentioned.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=131814

Paul
Old October 15th 07, 06:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Kris[_2_]

On 10/14/2007 8:57:59 PM, "rms" wrote:
But the question is, how high can I push the voltage on the cpu and be
relatively safe?

http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm#amd

The major factor is cpu temp, which must be kept well below the max case
temp as listed in the website above. You don't say which flavor of 3500+
you have, but I'd be staying 10C below the max, or 55C or so.

There are multiple variables to play with, and I'd usually judge that
when only fairly large changes to the voltage produce higher clocks,
that's when you stop.

rms

Thanks. It's a Venice core and I believe rev E6 (per cpu-z 1.41 "DH-E6")
so I am guessing: http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskto...il.aspx?id=143
which also says 65C max.

So the highest I saw it go was 56C, per speedfan, so I think I'm quite safe,
but thanks for the info!

I had it at 240 and 1.55 but 3DMARK05 kept hanging in the 2nd slow runthrough
of Proxycon or whatever it is, so I went down to 235, and also lowered the
voltage to 1.52 (which cpu-z says is 1.552)(speedfan just says 1.55) and 3D
runs fine.

I could go back and put it to 140 and then push the vcore up until 3DMARK05
runs through, but in agreement with the next poster, I am reticent to go much
above 1.55 (which apparently I am already actually at.

Thanks again!

I notice virtually no change in anything by changing the pci-e clock from 100
to 120 - any idea why or what that is? tia!

Old October 15th 07, 06:41 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Kris[_2_]

On 10/14/2007 11:24:25 PM, Paul wrote:
Kris wrote:
[...]

Ah! thanks for that one!

Since the Vcore regulator on some boards, overvolts a bit at idle, I might
choose 1.60V as the highest BIOS setting for Vcore. That leaves 0.05V of
margin, in case the regulator chip is running on the high side.

I notice that though I have the bios set to 1.520, cpu-z says 1.552, so I am
guessing that this is what you are talking about here - off by 0.032 . But
0.05 sounds like a very good approximation!

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fX

For example, the thread on "Opteron 185" will give you some
ideas as to the range of conditions those people were using
with their gear. There are probably a few other threads
there, where S939 processor get mentioned.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ead.php?t1814

Paul

Neither one of those links worked for me, but I will definitely poke around
that site.

Thanks!

Old October 15th 07, 07:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Paul

Kris wrote:
[...]

:-) Compare what you just posted for those two links, to my original post.

Some characters in the links are corrupted (in your posting). "f=58" got
changed to "fX". "t=131814" became "t1814".

You might want to verify the stability of your overclock. Orthos should
be able to run for hours, without stopping and reporting an error, if
everything is stable. You can get Orthos here. If it stops in 30 seconds
and reports some kind of error, you've got some adjusting to do on
your motherboard settings.

http://sp2004.fre3.com/beta/beta2.htm

Paul

Old October 16th 07, 12:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Kris[_2_]

Kris wrote:
[...]

Some characters in the links are corrupted (in your posting). "fX" got
changed to "fX". "t1814" became "t1814".

You might want to verify the stability of your overclock. Orthos should
be able to run for hours, without stopping and reporting an error, if
everything is stable. You can get Orthos here. If it stops in 30 seconds
and reports some kind of error, you've got some adjusting to do on
your motherboard settings.

http://sp2004.fre3.com/beta/beta2.htm

Paul

I just ran it for 5 1/2 minutes with no problems and stopped it out of
boredom. the can got up to 59C which does not make me particularly happy
(vcore=1.54, mult=11,fsb=235)

I widened the hole in the lucite on the side of my case and now have a 120mm
fan blowing at the cpu, but I don't think it helped much (rel to 80mm)

I discovered that this abit does not allow incremental adjustment of memory
clocking - only DDR400, DDR433, DDR466, etc. I also found that when set to
433, it would run, but sandra showed it to be clocked at 167 or something
like that instead of the 216 I would have expected.

This is all a product of boredom. I expect that in a few months I'll spring
for something like a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L and an E2160, or somesuch, which
can actually be overclocked!.

Tonight I may try lowering the mult and raising the fsb and testing the mem
that way. max HTT is about 330 so 313.
max CPU is about 240 so probably 230 or so.
The mem's spd is 2.5 4 4 8 400ddr.

Probably time to pull the Zalman off the Shuttle an35n and apply it to this
mobo...

Old October 16th 07, 02:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Kris[_2_]

Kris wrote:
[...]

Yeah, stuck the Zalman on there - an old CNPS7000A, all copper. I'm sure
putting fresh AS3 in there didn't hurt. Board wouldn't power so had to take
it all apart and put an extra layer of cardboard as the mobo's resisters were
touching the Zalman metal bottom plate. Ran Orthos for 10 min with no probs
and temp barely touched 50, vs 59 with the other hsf.

Old October 16th 07, 03:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Paul

Kris wrote:
[...]

Can you access these links OK now ?