Why is Celcius used for measuring the temps?

Old March 23rd 04, 07:58 PM
Dingo

In article , .
@text.news.virgin.net says...

=20
As a instrument technician I must say that it's noted with the =B0 in eve=

ry
peice of documentation I have ever seen. Same with the Rankine Scale

Yes I noticed it but check older literature, mistake is made=20
(presumably) by US publishers and users at first and (as usualy) for=20
some reason rest of the world easily follow tham (there is plenty=20
mistakes like that but i can only remember just now some "modified"=20
signs in marks for electronic parts ( I am not "at home" wih my english=20
but you will understand if I write NAND, NOR, AND gates in my language=20
we use NI, NILI, ILI logic doors and some diodes too).

If you don't belive ma abou K, check Un sites or just click on this link=20
and inlight your co-workers as for this mistake your tests here will end=20
up ripped apart..

http://www.eia.doe.gov/neic/pubstyle/si.htm
http://www1.bipm.org/en/si/base_units/
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...523539,00.html

in last one there is note of abbreviation of =B0K but it is still WRONG

--=20
remove X from e-mail addy to reply
ukloni X za odgovor na mail

pozdrav
Dinko
Old March 23rd 04, 08:50 PM
Lars Hansen

Well, it doesnt sound stupid if youve been living with the celcius and
metric systems all you life. Inches, Yards, Fahrentheit and so forth dont
ring a bell in my head.

I think, the most polite thing would be to use both fahrenheit and celcius
while writing in international newsgroups... Still, I dont think I could be
bothered to do so. For sure, it would be a bit arrogant to try to impose on
others what kind of scale they should use, at least in an international
newsgroup.

On the other hand, I must bow in recognition of your statement, I will now
totally convert to the fahrenheit scale!!! Even though everyone will look
funny at me when I go, WoooW its 100 Fahrenheit here!! hehe :-)

With regards

lars

"Sruples4Nuples" wrote in message

"BigBadger" wrote in message
In Europe do they say
"wow, it's 30 degress out here!"?

Yes

News to me. Still sounds stupid though.

Old March 23rd 04, 09:20 PM
BigBadger

"BigBadger" wrote in message
In Europe do they say
"wow, it's 30 degress out here!"?

Yes

News to me. Still sounds stupid though.

Not as stupid as the imperial system of measurement....I mean; 12" in a
foot, 3ft in a yard, 1760yds in a mile....Who the f*#k thought of
that...what's wrong with multiples of 10?........Oh hang on...I was us Brits
who invented it...still we at least had the sense to realise it was crap and
move to metric.

Old March 23rd 04, 09:41 PM
Sruples4Nuples

"BigBadger" wrote in message
In Europe do they say
"wow, it's 30 degress out here!"?

Yes

News to me. Still sounds stupid though.

Not as stupid as the imperial system of measurement....I mean; 12" in a
foot, 3ft in a yard, 1760yds in a mile....Who the f*#k thought of
that...what's wrong with multiples of 10?........Oh hang on...I was us

Brits
who invented it...still we at least had the sense to realise it was crap

and
move to metric.

That metric system must be great at helping them calculate their enormous
taxes.

Old March 23rd 04, 10:08 PM
BigBadger

"BigBadger" wrote in message
In Europe do they say
"wow, it's 30 degress out here!"?

Yes

News to me. Still sounds stupid though.

Not as stupid as the imperial system of measurement....I mean; 12" in a
foot, 3ft in a yard, 1760yds in a mile....Who the f*#k thought of
that...what's wrong with multiples of 10?........Oh hang on...I was us

Brits
who invented it...still we at least had the sense to realise it was crap

and
move to metric.

That metric system must be great at helping them calculate their enormous
taxes.

Tell me about it....
Units of 10 may come in handy in the USA too especially with a president
who's intellect is such that he has to count on using his fingers.

Old March 23rd 04, 10:09 PM
Sruples4Nuples

"BigBadger" wrote in message
[...]

Clinton's been out of office for years.

Old March 23rd 04, 11:07 PM
rstlne

Clinton's been out of office for years.

Yea but do you know who the current president is?

pfft
americano's

Old March 23rd 04, 11:39 PM
LBJGH

Having grown up in Canada (70's) I'm a 1/2 ass product of the metric system.
I was taught celcius through public school and only learned imperial
measurements while taking a drafting class in grade 10 (10th grade to my
American friends). While I was taking a surveying course in college I
learned about other odd imperial measurements like:

1 yard = 3 ft
1 rod, perch, or pole = 25 links = 16.5 ft
4 rods = 1 chain
1 chain = 4 rods = 66 ft = 100 links
10 chains = 1 furlong
1 link = 1/100 of surveyor's chain = 7.92 inches
25 links = 1 rod = 16.5 ft
100 links = 1 chain = 66 ft
1 furlong = 10 chains = 1/8 mile = 220 yards = 660 ft
8 furlongs = 1 mile
1 mile = 80 chains = 320 rods = 1,760 yards = 5,280 ft
league = 3 statute miles

.... all of which has a history but complete usless as far as I'm concerned.

When I started working full time (with older co-workers) I was forced to
learn imperial. Funny though... I still buy 2x4's at the lumber store not
38x89's ... and to top it off 2x4's are actually 1-1/2" x 3-1/2"!

:-)

---

Old March 23rd 04, 11:43 PM
Roger Hunt

In article , BigBadger
wrote

Tell me about it....
Units of 10 may come in handy in the USA too especially with a
president who's intellect is such that he has to count on using his
fingers.

Do you mean to say that he can use *both hands*?
I'm impressed - this means he's far more advanced than our man Blair!
--
Roger Hunt