AMD has the answer for Intel

Old October 2nd 03, 02:48 PM
Ben Pope

chrisv wrote:
On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 18:00:11 +0100, "Ben Pope"
wrote:
I don't see as that as an excuse to lie or misrepresent the truth.

I have not seen you present evidence that anyone is lying or
"misrepresenting the truth".

Calling the Intel "FSB" or system bus or whatever they're calling it 800MHz
is incorrect. The clock is 200MHz. It is a 200MHz bus that can trasnfer
data 4 times per clock.

PC3200 is not 400MHz as many people call it. Thats misrepresentation, the
clock is 200MHz.

About the closest example to that that I
can think of is AMD's CPU naming. In any case, my point is that there

Amd call their CPUs 3200+ not 3200MHz. Since they have no unit, they cannot
be misrepresenting the truth.

inevitably be loss of detail when a ton of information (how PC's work)
is compressed into an amount of information that the average consumer
can absorb.

Loss of information, fine. Misrepresentation, not so.

I have zero problem with the way, for example, Intel is
rating their front-side bus.

I think the average person can cope with double data rate means twice as
fast.

Twice as fast as what? RDRAM?

Don't act stupid. You're cleverer than that. SDR, normal SDRAM.

What if I have two channels and you have one?How wide are your channels?

How many MB? What's the clock
rate? How about latency?

So as has already been said, compress that down to a bandwidth figure in
Megs/s or whatever. Don't lie about the clock speed to make the numbers
work.

And this is only one small corner of the PC. Lossy compression is
REQUIRED.

I totally agree. I don't see how misrepresentation has to be a part of
that.

Ben

Old October 2nd 03, 06:38 PM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 08:15:52 -0500, chrisv wrote:

I have zero problem with the way, for example, Intel is rating their
front-side bus.

Bus speed is adressed in 2 ways, the clock speed, which is measured in Hz,
and data rates which are measured in bps/Bps, more commonly called
throughput. Throughput is the effective data rate. A term you might be
more familiar with when talking about modems. Many people have called a
2400bps modem a 2400 baud modem incorrectly, using the throughput as the
signal rate, when in fact the signal rate was 600 baud. But if you ever
looked at the specs you would see that the box would say 2400bps, not 2400
baud. What Intel and AMD has done is taken the clock speed (MHz) and
multiplied it by the data rate (bps) and used the result as MHz. If you
can't see the error in this then you must be blind.

Old October 2nd 03, 09:32 PM
chrisv

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 14:48:58 +0100, "Ben Pope"
wrote:

Calling the Intel "FSB" or system bus or whatever they're calling it 800MHz
is incorrect. The clock is 200MHz. It is a 200MHz bus that can trasnfer
data 4 times per clock.

PC3200 is not 400MHz as many people call it. Thats misrepresentation, the
clock is 200MHz.

About the closest example to that that I
can think of is AMD's CPU naming. In any case, my point is that there

Amd call their CPUs 3200+ not 3200MHz. Since they have no unit, they cannot
be misrepresenting the truth.

Let me guess... You're an AMD FANatic. "AMD good. Intel bad."

There's nothing wrong with the "800MHz FSB" abbreviation. I use it
myself, and not to deceive, to communicate. It's a lot easier than
saying "200MHz quad-data-rate" and then having to explain what the
hell that means to someone who probably couldn't care less.

AMD's rating system, on the other hand, is quite shady. "No unit"
bullsh*t. A unit is strongly implied. It's deceptive. It
misrepresents the truth.

Old October 2nd 03, 09:41 PM
chrisv

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 17:38:36 GMT, "Wes Newell"
wrote:

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 08:15:52 -0500, chrisv wrote:

I have zero problem with the way, for example, Intel is rating their
front-side bus.

Bus speed is adressed in 2 ways, the clock speed, which is measured in Hz,
and data rates which are measured in bps/Bps, more commonly called
throughput. Throughput is the effective data rate. A term you might be
more familiar with when talking about modems. Many people have called a
2400bps modem a 2400 baud modem incorrectly, using the throughput as the
signal rate, when in fact the signal rate was 600 baud. But if you ever
looked at the specs you would see that the box would say 2400bps, not 2400
baud. What Intel and AMD has done is taken the clock speed (MHz) and
multiplied it by the data rate (bps) and used the result as MHz. If you
can't see the error in this then you must be blind.

I can't even tell what your point is. English your second language?

It seems like your modem example argues for using terminology like
"2400 baud" and "800 MHz FSB", which is my point.

If you want to argue that a "2400 baud" modem should always be
desribed "properly" as a "600 baud modem with quadrature
amplitude modulation", then I'd say you're a freakin' nutcase.

Old October 2nd 03, 09:52 PM
Ben Pope

chrisv wrote:
Let me guess... You're an AMD FANatic. "AMD good. Intel bad."

No, not at all. I've had about 4 Intel systems and have just purchased an
AMD system. No major problems with each... why would I be an AMD FANatic
for suggesting that the unit MHz should be used for clock rate and BPS for
Bandwidth, I don't see your reasoning. And if you think that me mentioning
Intels FSB as an example (when I also mentioned RAM) then you should stop
being so damn defensive of Intel... I really didn;t mean any harm to the
Intel architecture... merely the marketing BS.

There's nothing wrong with the "800MHz FSB" abbreviation. I use it
myself, and not to deceive, to communicate. It's a lot easier than
saying "200MHz quad-data-rate" and then having to explain what the
hell that means to someone who probably couldn't care less.

Yeah, great bit of communication. Try setting the clock rate to 800MHz.
Good luck.

AMD's rating system, on the other hand, is quite shady. "No unit"
bullsh*t. A unit is strongly implied. It's deceptive. It
misrepresents the truth.

Where do they imply the unit? If you want to stick a unit on their fine.
Thats your problem.

I'm looking at it from an engineering perspective. If you tell me the FSB
is 800MHz and I design a motherboard and clock it at 800MHz, it ain't gonna
work, now is it? Thats my point.

And why won't it work? Explain to my why an 800MHz clock on an Intel system
will not work, if the FSB of Intels is 800MHz. It really is that simple.
Convince me. Please.

Ben

Old October 2nd 03, 09:54 PM
Ben Pope

chrisv wrote:
If you want to argue that a "2400 baud" modem should always be
desribed "properly" as a "600 baud modem with quadrature
amplitude modulation", then I'd say you're a freakin' nutcase.

2400bps would fine though, wouldn't it?

If people use the correct units, there would be no confusion. It's the
poeple that use incorrect units, incorrect terminology and incorrect
reasoning that cause confusion.

Ben

Old October 3rd 03, 02:36 AM
Wes Newell

wrote:

[...]

No, but it must be your 3rd or 4th if you can't understand what's above.

It seems like your modem example argues for using terminology like
"2400 baud" and "800 MHz FSB", which is my point.

You're hopeless.

If you want to argue that a "2400 baud" modem should always be
desribed "properly" as a "600 baud modem with quadrature
amplitude modulation", then I'd say you're a freakin' nutcase.

Well it appears that you can't read. It's a 2400bps modem as I clearly
pointed out above. The last modem that used Baud was the 300 Baud/bps
modem since its Baud rate and data rates were the same, 300.

Old October 3rd 03, 04:19 AM
The little lost angel

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 15:32:46 -0500, chrisv
wrote:
There's nothing wrong with the "800MHz FSB" abbreviation. I use it
myself, and not to deceive, to communicate. It's a lot easier than
saying "200MHz quad-data-rate" and then having to explain what the
hell that means to someone who probably couldn't care less.

In my experience doing sales, people who ask the question actually are
somewhat interested in knowing and many do think about the new
information. The problem is most people also never get to asking the
question as they usually had already decided, it's a Pentium so it
must be good, nevermind what numbers.

Anyway, I'm getting quite confused by this thread to be honest. I had
always thought the 800Mhz was the result of adding 2 channels, 4x data
rate and 100Mhz clock. But you guys are giving me the impression it's
4x data rate, 200Mhz clock... the Intel spec sheet says the P4 blah
blah processor 400Mhz, 533Mhz, 800Mhz blah blah either 100Mhz or
133Mhz bus.

So did the engineering department forgot to tell the
marketing/publishing department they have a 200Mhz bus now, or is it
the other way round???

AMD's rating system, on the other hand, is quite shady. "No unit"
bullsh*t. A unit is strongly implied. It's deceptive. It
misrepresents the truth.

It's about as deceptive/useful as the 800Mhz figure. Looking at
800Mhz, I would guess that it's faster than the 533Mhz perhaps by as
much as 50%.

Looking at XP3200 vs P4 3.2Ghz, I might think they are about the same,
which isn't as far from the truth as the 50% of the "800Mhz" FSB. The
same applies when comparing between AMD's own products using the
rating figure as the guide. A lot more accurate than between Intel's
FSB figures!

If you need basic to med complexity webpages at affordable rates, email me
Old October 3rd 03, 07:50 AM
Tony Hill

wrote:
On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 08:15:52 -0500, chrisv wrote:

I have zero problem with the way, for example, Intel is rating their
front-side bus.

Bus speed is adressed in 2 ways, the clock speed, which is measured in Hz,
and data rates which are measured in bps/Bps, more commonly called
throughput. Throughput is the effective data rate. A term you might be
more familiar with when talking about modems. Many people have called a
2400bps modem a 2400 baud modem incorrectly, using the throughput as the
signal rate, when in fact the signal rate was 600 baud. But if you ever
looked at the specs you would see that the box would say 2400bps, not 2400
baud. What Intel and AMD has done is taken the clock speed (MHz) and
multiplied it by the data rate (bps) and used the result as MHz. If you
can't see the error in this then you must be blind.

An interesting point of note for you. If you look at Intel's spec
sheets, they do indeed state things like "800 MHz" bus speed for the
Pentium 4. However, if you read AMD's own documentation, they seem to
mostly avoiding the use of the frequency units on their numbers. They
instead just say "400 FSB" (there are a few places where they seemed
to have slipped up and said "400 MHz" though).

I don't know that either is a particularly good way of going about
things, I'd much rather just see bandwidth numbers, since that is what
really matters in the end. Just a bit of food for thought though.

-------------
Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca
Old October 3rd 03, 07:50 AM
Tony Hill

wrote:
Amd call their CPUs 3200+ not 3200MHz. Since they have no unit, they cannot
be misrepresenting the truth.

Let me guess... You're an AMD FANatic. "AMD good. Intel bad."

There's nothing wrong with the "800MHz FSB" abbreviation. I use it
myself, and not to deceive, to communicate. It's a lot easier than
saying "200MHz quad-data-rate" and then having to explain what the
hell that means to someone who probably couldn't care less.

AMD's rating system, on the other hand, is quite shady. "No unit"
bullsh*t. A unit is strongly implied. It's deceptive. It
misrepresents the truth.

I personally feel that the only deceptive part about it is the fact
that the model numbers so closely related to clock speed of P4
processors. I MUCH prefer the model numbers of the Opteron and
Athlon64 FX, which really have no connection to clock speed.

Now, that being said, it's tough to argue too much against the model
number system that AMD uses due to the simple fact that it works.
AMD's revenue was really lagging before their numbering system because
they were unable to sell their Athlon 1.4GHz chip for any more than
Intel's Pentium4 1.4GHz chip. OEMs and customers just wouldn't buy
it. In comes the AthlonXP, and all of a sudden their 1.4GHz chip (the
AthlonXP 1600+ is accepted by customers and OEMs alike as being
equivalent to a P4 1.6GHz chip. Revenues went up quite a bit. In
short, like it or not, their model numbering system worked.