Phenom 9850 Temperature Control

Old September 13th 08, 03:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Peter van der Goes[_2_]

Default Phenom 9850 Temperature Control

Please share your solutions. My 9850 is running at 2.7 GHz with CPU voltage
set to 1.175V.
In a well-ventilated case (25C), SpeedFan reports CPU at 54 - 56C with very
little activity (web surfing, email, etc.)
No, I haven't run a full-on stress test for fear of the obvious.
I'm using a ThermalTake TMG A1, which seems no better than the HSF that came
with the 9850.

Asus M3A motherboard.

What are you using? Suggestions?

Old September 14th 08, 03:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Richard P

Peter van der Goes wrote:
Please share your solutions. My 9850 is running at 2.7 GHz with CPU
voltage set to 1.175V.
In a well-ventilated case (25C), SpeedFan reports CPU at 54 - 56C with
very little activity (web surfing, email, etc.)
No, I haven't run a full-on stress test for fear of the obvious.
I'm using a ThermalTake TMG A1, which seems no better than the HSF that
came with the 9850.

Asus M3A motherboard.

What are you using? Suggestions?

My 9850 also runs alittle warm at 48-50c Idle and 54-56C Full Load
(prime95). You could reseat the HSF to see if that helps.

Old September 14th 08, 04:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Peter van der Goes[_2_]

"Richard P" wrote in message
Peter van der Goes wrote:
Please share your solutions. My 9850 is running at 2.7 GHz with CPU
voltage set to 1.175V.
In a well-ventilated case (25C), SpeedFan reports CPU at 54 - 56C with
very little activity (web surfing, email, etc.)
No, I haven't run a full-on stress test for fear of the obvious.
I'm using a ThermalTake TMG A1, which seems no better than the HSF that
came with the 9850.

Asus M3A motherboard.

What are you using? Suggestions?

My 9850 also runs alittle warm at 48-50c Idle and 54-56C Full Load
(prime95). You could reseat the HSF to see if that helps.

May I ask what HSF you are using? To be honest, I'm not confident the TT
mounting system is all that good. The mounting "arm" doesn't appear to put
that much pressure on the HSF, as it's easy to slide around with the lever
in the locked position (not to mention that it's a pain to install).

I was looking at this one as a possibility:

http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/view_detail/338

I guess common sense would dictate that I try the HSF supplied with the CPU
before spending more $$. eh?

Old September 14th 08, 04:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Richard P

Peter van der Goes wrote:
"Richard P" wrote in message
Peter van der Goes wrote:
[...]

I'm using the stock hsf that came with the cpu as my Freezer 64 pro wont
fit in my case. The HSF toyr using definately doesnt sounnd as if it's
fitting properly.
Old September 14th 08, 05:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Paul

Peter van der Goes wrote:
"Richard P" wrote in message
Peter van der Goes wrote:
[...]

Says here, the theta_R is 0.17C/W. The 9850 has a TDP of 125W.
0.17 * 125 = 21.25C rise above computer case ambient air temp.
If the computer case air is 35C, the CPU should be 56.25C at
full load (four Prime95 test threads). If you're at 56C when
the CPU is idle, then it can't be working right.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Produc...C=1151&ID=1578

The weight of the thing is 505g, so it isn't that heavy.
About normal for an after market heatsink.

The fan speed could play a part, and if the fan speed
setting is adjusted down, that could be why it is that
warm. In which case, maybe it'll speed up when it gets
warmer. Or you could try adjusting the speed using
Speedfan from almico.com .

I trust it got some thermal paste during installation,
as otherwise it would be even hotter.

Paul
Old September 14th 08, 09:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
None[_3_]

"Peter van der Goes" wrote in

I was looking at this one as a possibility:

http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/view_detail/338

I guess common sense would dictate that I try the HSF supplied with
the CPU before spending more $$. eh?

Indeed. However if the stock cooler fails to do the job, review some of the
candidates in the following chart:

http://www.frostytech.com/articlevie...id=2233&page=5

Although the tests were performed on an Intel processor, it is likely that
you may see similar cooling effects on your AMD processor.

Good luck.