AMD 5000+ BLACK

Old September 26th 07, 03:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Withheld at Owners Request

Default AMD 5000+ BLACK

http://game.amd.com/us-en/unlock_athlonblack.aspx

So, what all does this mean to the OC crowd?

Old September 26th 07, 05:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Augustus

"Withheld at Owners Request" wrote in message
http://game.amd.com/us-en/unlock_athlonblack.aspx

So, what all does this mean to the OC crowd?

It means this...
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/328

Old September 26th 07, 05:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Paul

Withheld at Owners Request wrote:
http://game.amd.com/us-en/unlock_athlonblack.aspx

So, what all does this mean to the OC crowd?

They mention the tangible benefits of the AMD program here
- a black cardboard box for the processor, without a retail cooler.
What could be better ? (/sarcasm)

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...129TX1K0000532

Take the chart here, then extrapolate the 6000+ (nom. 3GHz)
to whatever you imagine the top overclock might be (3.5GHz maybe
on air). The E6600 at stock, is still keeping up. And then
it is the Intel guy's turn to overclock...

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...roundup_6.html

Paul
Old September 27th 07, 02:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Augustus

"Paul" wrote in message ...
Withheld at Owners Request wrote:
http://game.amd.com/us-en/unlock_athlonblack.aspx

So, what all does this mean to the OC crowd?

They mention the tangible benefits of the AMD program here
- a black cardboard box for the processor, without a retail cooler.
What could be better ? (/sarcasm)

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...129TX1K0000532

Take the chart here, then extrapolate the 6000+ (nom. 3GHz)
to whatever you imagine the top overclock might be (3.5GHz maybe
on air). The E6600 at stock, is still keeping up. And then
it is the Intel guy's turn to overclock...

I don't think he's even talking about the 6000+. The 5000+ has 1/2 the L2
per core, and from the reviews I've seen will stably do 2.8 to 2.9 max on
air with voltage boosting.

Old September 27th 07, 03:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Paul

Augustus wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message ...
Withheld at Owners Request wrote:
http://game.amd.com/us-en/unlock_athlonblack.aspx

So, what all does this mean to the OC crowd?

They mention the tangible benefits of the AMD program here
- a black cardboard box for the processor, without a retail cooler.
What could be better ? (/sarcasm)

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...129TX1K0000532

Take the chart here, then extrapolate the 6000+ (nom. 3GHz)
to whatever you imagine the top overclock might be (3.5GHz maybe
on air). The E6600 at stock, is still keeping up. And then
it is the Intel guy's turn to overclock...

I don't think he's even talking about the 6000+. The 5000+ has 1/2 the L2
per core, and from the reviews I've seen will stably do 2.8 to 2.9 max on
air with voltage boosting.

My point is, no matter how high they clock on air, you still aren't
winning any prizes. And AMD would be stupid to take a higher binning
part and put it in the box, when they could simply put it in a box
with a higher number to begin with. The net result: You get a
black cardboard box, and no retail cooler.

AMD products cover the low to mid range. Yes, you can overclock them.
Yes, they're good for games. But if you think you'll be at the top
of the Orb, by using a 5000+ in a black cardboard box, then no, ain't
gonna happen.

Paul

Old September 27th 07, 03:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Augustus

My point is, no matter how high they clock on air, you still aren't
winning any prizes. And AMD would be stupid to take a higher binning
part and put it in the box, when they could simply put it in a box
with a higher number to begin with. The net result: You get a
black cardboard box, and no retail cooler.

AMD products cover the low to mid range. Yes, you can overclock them.
Yes, they're good for games. But if you think you'll be at the top
of the Orb, by using a 5000+ in a black cardboard box, then no, ain't
gonna happen.

Paul

Agreed....it wasn't always thus. Back 22 months ago when I bought my A64
4000+ San Diego and clocked it at FX57 spec there wasn't an Intel chip P4EE
or P4D around that compared. A bit different now. When I build my next box
it'll likely be Intel unless AMD pulls something miraculous out of the hat.
AMD isn't doing miracles for ATI either lately.