CD back up for Pentium 200

Old July 16th 03, 08:44 PM
Cardo

Default CD back up for Pentium 200

I am looking for a CD writer for my Pentium 200 PC with Windows 95 and only
want it for backing up files. All the options I have looked at say that they
either require something higher than Windows 95 or higher than a Pentium
200. Is this strictly true for what I want it for or is this for music
burning and the like?

Thanks
Richard

Old July 16th 03, 08:53 PM
Amethyst

Cardo wrote:
I am looking for a CD writer for my Pentium 200 PC with Windows 95
and only want it for backing up files. All the options I have looked
at say that they either require something higher than Windows 95 or
higher than a Pentium 200. Is this strictly true for what I want it
for or is this for music burning and the like?

Thanks
Richard

No, they are the minimum specs to burn anything, I believe.
--
Cassandra
Card carrying member of the Fresh Start Club 'The Undead Are People

Reply address is fake. Please send all praise, abuse, insults, bequests
of £1million to cassandra (at) craigy34 (dot) freeserve (dot) co (dot)
uk. Change the obvious to the obvious.
Private requests for assistance will not be acknowledged. Please post
all correspondence to the group so that all may benefit. Thank you.

Old July 16th 03, 10:34 PM
Ralph Mowery

I am looking for a CD writer for my Pentium 200 PC with Windows 95 and
only
want it for backing up files. All the options I have looked at say that

they
either require something higher than Windows 95 or higher than a Pentium
200. Is this strictly true for what I want it for or is this for music
burning and the like?

Not sure about the win 95 but you can burn the cd's with a 200. It may not
burn them at full speed and you may have to shut down all the other
processes that are running to do it.

Old July 16th 03, 10:50 PM
Steve Reinis

My first CDRW drive was an Imation 12-8-24 IDE drive running on a P233
system with 64MB of RAM running Windows 95b. I was not able to do five
other tasks while burning a CD, but I was able to effortlessly burn a full
CD at 12x in about 10 minutes. I used Easy CD Creator 4 and never had any
problems.

Just like another poster said, don't expect to run all sorts of applications
while burning and you should be just fine. And you may not be able to burn
at very high speeds like they have today, but I know that I was able to burn
at 12X just fine.

-Steve

Old July 17th 03, 02:29 PM
Mike Walsh

One limitation of Win95 is it does not support IDE DMA. A Pentium 200 is more than adequate if DMA is enabled for for both hard drive and CDR, or if the drives are SCSI. There is a good chance that Win98 CD writer software will work with Win95, but you might have to burn at a slower speed than the newer drives are capable of.

Cardo wrote:

I am looking for a CD writer for my Pentium 200 PC with Windows 95 and only
want it for backing up files. All the options I have looked at say that they
either require something higher than Windows 95 or higher than a Pentium
200. Is this strictly true for what I want it for or is this for music
burning and the like?

Thanks
Richard

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old July 17th 03, 03:17 PM
Roby

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:44:13 +0100, "Cardo"
wrote:

I am looking for a CD writer for my Pentium 200 PC with Windows 95 and only
want it for backing up files. All the options I have looked at say that they
either require something higher than Windows 95 or higher than a Pentium
200. Is this strictly true for what I want it for or is this for music
burning and the like?

Thanks
Richard

My Pentium 166 and Win95 OSR2 setup works fine with a burner. Most
(all?) new burners include some flavor of burn-proof technology that
slows down the data rate as necessary. My 48X burner slows down to
about 12X to 16X, but never makes a coaster.

Roby
Old July 17th 03, 09:59 PM
Peter McVries

wrote:

I am looking for a CD writer for my Pentium 200 PC with Windows 95
and only want it for backing up files. All the options I have looked
at say that they either require something higher than Windows 95 or
higher than a Pentium 200. Is this strictly true for what I want it
for or is this for music burning and the like?

Thanks
Richard

My Pentium 166 and Win95 OSR2 setup works fine with a burner. Most
(all?) new burners include some flavor of burn-proof technology that
slows down the data rate as necessary. My 48X burner slows down to
about 12X to 16X, but never makes a coaster.

Roby

I had a Pentium 133 with 64mb Ram and a HP 7200 x2 speed CDRW and was able
to back up full cd's with that. Just dont run anything else, leave it alone
while its burning and set the write speed to well below the max.