ASUS a7v can't boot after power of for ex. 8 hours

Old February 3rd 04, 11:02 PM
jam rock

Default ASUS a7v can't boot after power of for ex. 8 hours

like subject:

when posting, the speaker goes "BEEEEB" and the power shuts off.

then if I unplug the ac-power cord while powering up for maybe 10 times, it
suddently boots ok. i'm not sure what exactly helps, anyway it helps being
desperate.....

i've had the problem before, but at dissapeared. Now it's back

Any ideas ?

regards Morten

Old February 4th 04, 12:26 AM
DaveW

It sounds like either your power supply or your motherboard isfailing. The
easiest thing to check first is to replace the power supply with a known
good one of adequate wattage.

--
DaveW

Old February 4th 04, 02:09 AM
Joe101

Here are some things to try:

0) Stuck key on keyboard?
1) If you have a voltmeter, check voltages at the motherboard power
connector,
or when it does boot, [Del) to BIOS and read voltages with hardware monitor
or load ASUS PC Probe software to see voltages,
remember voltages my be ok, but my have ripple (bad filter capacitor) that
can not be seen without an oscilloscope,
so as last resort replace PSU.
2) Pull out all PCI cards, and go to one memory DIMM (if you have more than
one).
3) Eliminate things....If you have an old PCI video card, remove your AGP
and try with PCI video card.
4) Re-seat your memory, reseat your Athlon CPU, check for loose jumpers,
flip all dip switches several times, carefully setting them back.
5) with canned air blow off your motherboard, if metallic particle between
pins you might make it worse by impacting it, best to remove mobo hold it on
edge and tap it lightly (on workbench) on all 4 axis, then lightly blow with
canned air, easy with the air on DIMM and PCI connectors....pins will start
oscillating and break off.

Please post your results to group so we can all share.

Old February 4th 04, 02:21 AM
Joe101

One more thing. The number of beeps have significance.
1 beep = normal
continuous beep or repeating short beeps = power supply
one long and one short = system board
there are other codes , but I can't remember

Old February 4th 04, 09:34 AM
sigmun

"jam rock" escreveu na mensagem

Problems with memory, PSU or CPU can cause the same symptoms.

1)

The first thing to check is the memory, if the memory sticks are correctly
installed and in good shape without errors, you may test your memory with :

http://www.memtest86.com/

or

http://www.docmemory.com/

2) Look your CPU, is it overheated ? is the fan working correctly ? is it
correctly settled into the socket ?

3) Is your PSU delivering the right power ? must be replaced ? do you
encounter Random Shutdowns and Reboots without explanation ?