Request DMA suggestions

Old November 1st 03, 02:10 PM
default

Default Request DMA suggestions

I finally have some time to fool with my computer and would like to
get the CDR working a little faster. Right now I can burn audio at 8X
and data at 16X. Can set any speed - but it still takes that long and
write testing shows similar numbers.

Burner is a Lite on 52X, computer is a Celeron running at 333MHZ, Lots
of random access memory, A pair of recent manufacture IBM 20GB drives
on IDE primary channels, CDR and CD on secondary IDE channels, Windoze
98 OS, drives defraged (or not - doesn't matter)

The Device manager won't let me set the DMA. It allows me to check the
box, says that I have to restart the computer, do so and the box is
unchecked when I look again.

I show the PCI Bus Master IDE to be a ALi M5229 with an Acer version
032 Primary IDE controller.

Didn't see anything in the BIOS regarding DMA (or didn't look in the
right place or understand what it was telling me).

I have another drive on the USB (1) cable - Lite on 48X CDR -same
speeds writing to blank media.

Media good for at least 48X, tried various media, Sony, Maxell, TDK,
Etc.

Any suggestions what to try next? I figure DMA might be the culprit
but no idea how to force it to turn on. Any FAQ that helped with
similar problems?

Old November 1st 03, 02:23 PM
Dan G

Try removing the CDROM drive and set the burner as master alone on the
channel.. Make sure that BIOS is set to auto detect.
Do the HD's show as DMA?

Old November 1st 03, 08:21 PM
Tj

How fast is your blanks? The blank speed will determine burn speed.
16x blanks burn at 16x.... max.

Old November 2nd 03, 10:21 AM
Li'l Roberto

"default" wrote in message
I finally have some time to fool with my computer and would like to
get the CDR working a little faster. Right now I can burn audio at 8X
and data at 16X. Can set any speed - but it still takes that long and
write testing shows similar numbers.

Burner is a Lite on 52X, computer is a Celeron running at 333MHZ, Lots
of random access memory, A pair of recent manufacture IBM 20GB drives
on IDE primary channels, CDR and CD on secondary IDE channels, Windoze
98 OS, drives defraged (or not - doesn't matter)

The Device manager won't let me set the DMA. It allows me to check the
box, says that I have to restart the computer, do so and the box is
unchecked when I look again.
Any suggestions what to try next? I figure DMA might be the culprit
but no idea how to force it to turn on. Any FAQ that helped with
similar problems?

Take a look at MS KB article 159560 which discusses the problem of DMA
not remaining checked after a reboot.

rgds
Li'l Roberto

Old November 2nd 03, 12:24 PM
Howard Kaikow

Upgrade from Win 98 to Win 2000 and you should not have difficulty setting
DMA.
I had same problem with Win 98.

Also, max out your system's memory.

--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.

Old November 2nd 03, 04:06 PM
default

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 20:21:08 GMT, "Tj"
wrote:

How fast is your blanks? The blank speed will determine burn speed.
16x blanks burn at 16x.... max.

My blanks is 48X. Blanks don't seem to be the limiting factor.
Something in the box or software is causing it.

Old November 2nd 03, 04:10 PM
default

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 07:24:22 -0500, "Howard Kaikow"
wrote:

Upgrade from Win 98 to Win 2000 and you should not have difficulty setting
DMA.
I had same problem with Win 98.

Also, max out your system's memory.

I hate the idea of paying micro$oft for solving one of their problems
.. . . I cling to 98 for that reason and the fact that it lacks some of
the "features" later versions added. So switching operating systems
is a greater evil than slow speed.

System memory is 320 MB RAM

Old November 2nd 03, 06:09 PM
default

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 07:23:38 -0700, "Dan G" wrote:

Try removing the CDROM drive and set the burner as master alone on the
channel.. Make sure that BIOS is set to auto detect.
Do the HD's show as DMA?

My box is tightly packed.

Before I monkey around with the works, it would be nice to have some
absolute reason or authority to look at.

I will invariably knock a connector or two loose that I won't discover
until the case is back on, so fixing one problem means correcting the
inadvertent ones I add . . .

"Trying" things is always the option, but this is supposed to be
science not magic, religion, astrology, or sorcery. Somewhere there
must be a "reason" for doing things in a certain way.

The hard drives only "show" PIO in the BIOS under the first screen
which is only an informational one no settings to change other than
the date. All the BIOS shows is DMA enabled for PnP devices. No
particular reference to drives other than S.M.A.R.T. drive
enable/disable (tried it both ways).

Running the DOS debug routine that Li'l Robert has suggested shows
both hard drives and all IDE drives accepting DMA protocol timings
(DMA modes one and two)

Old November 2nd 03, 06:50 PM
Dan G

Many older CDROM drives do not run in DMA, and will not share a channel with
a drive that does.
Removing the CDRom is the only way to troubleshoot that possibility.

news