"Casing gives current" thread

Old October 3rd 04, 06:32 PM
Papa

Default "Casing gives current" thread

Folks, most of us with any common sense at all know the dangers involved
with unsafe wiring and unsafe electrical practices such as removing the
grounding prong from a 3-prong plug. The above mentioned very long thread is
only long because, IMO, a few teenagers and other rascals are pulling your
leg and egging it on. Why don't we quit falling for this mischief and just
ignore? OK ?

Old October 3rd 04, 08:36 PM
Al Smith

Folks, most of us with any common sense at all know the dangers involved
with unsafe wiring and unsafe electrical practices such as removing the
grounding prong from a 3-prong plug. The above mentioned very long thread is
only long because, IMO, a few teenagers and other rascals are pulling your
leg and egging it on. Why don't we quit falling for this mischief and just
ignore? OK ?

I'm not trying to egg anybody on. I do remove the third prong from
plugs, because I find them to be a damned nuisance. There are too
many wall sockets that don't accept three prongs. I've also often
filed down the wide prong on polarized plugs so that I can plug
into "normal" sockets. Under certain conditions, I grant you this
might lead to problems. I have never encountered a problem with
it. But I take care not to use electrical equipment under damp
conditions, or when it is obviously in need of repair.
Old October 3rd 04, 09:33 PM
ric

Papa wrote:

Folks, most of us with any common sense at all know the dangers involved
with unsafe wiring and unsafe electrical practices such as removing the
grounding prong from a 3-prong plug. The above mentioned very long thread is
only long because, IMO, a few teenagers and other rascals are pulling your
leg and egging it on. Why don't we quit falling for this mischief and just
ignore? OK ?

I own a 70 year old house that doesn't have three-prong or polarized
electrical outlets. I have a drawer full of non polarized "cheater"
plug adapters which I have to use on much of my newer electronic
equipment.

I've never had lightning damage, shocks, or any electrical failure due
to lack of grounding. My computer equipment is connected to a six outlet
strip (which *does* have 3-prong connections), which is connected to a
wall outlet via one of the "cheater" adapters.

Much ado about nothing, IMO.
Old October 3rd 04, 09:57 PM
Ron Reaugh

"ric" wrote in message ...
Papa wrote:

[...]

You're an accident waiting to happen.

Old October 3rd 04, 10:09 PM
JAD

NORMAL sockets are 3 PRONG and polarized! you sir have OUTDATED
outlets, that is not normal.

news

Old October 4th 04, 02:00 AM
Al Smith

NORMAL sockets are 3 PRONG and polarized! you sir have OUTDATED
outlets, that is not normal.

Right. I'm just waiting for the day when the insurance companies
force me to upgrade my house wiring. It will cost me five thousand
dollars, and the benefit I will reap from it will be ... oh,
that's right, nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Squat. I always love it
when bureaucrats take it upon themselves to cost me money I can
ill-afford to spend, for no good reason. It happens regularly.

Old October 4th 04, 03:07 AM
David Maynard

Al Smith wrote:

NORMAL sockets are 3 PRONG and polarized! you sir have OUTDATED
outlets, that is not normal.

Right. I'm just waiting for the day when the insurance companies force
me to upgrade my house wiring. It will cost me five thousand dollars,
and the benefit I will reap from it will be ... oh, that's right,
nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Squat. I always love it when bureaucrats take
it upon themselves to cost me money I can ill-afford to spend, for no
good reason. It happens regularly.

Definitely the '3 prong outlet conspiracy'.

Old October 4th 04, 05:29 AM
ric

Ron Reaugh wrote:

I own a 70 year old house that doesn't have three-prong or polarized
electrical outlets. I have a drawer full of non polarized "cheater"
plug adapters which I have to use on much of my newer electronic
equipment.

I've never had lightning damage, shocks, or any electrical failure due
to lack of grounding. My computer equipment is connected to a six outlet
strip (which *does* have 3-prong connections), which is connected to a
wall outlet via one of the "cheater" adapters.

Much ado about nothing, IMO.

You're an accident waiting to happen.

Been waiting for 30+ years. What sort of accident should I be expecting?

Casing gives current MAB General 72 October 4th 04 12:32 AM
Casing gives current MAB Homebuilt PC's 84 October 4th 04 12:32 AM
Advice Please: The Importance of Hard Drive RPMs Darren Harris Homebuilt PC's 95 August 24th 04 11:16 PM
What is the thread size used with brass motherboard standoffs? Gene Homebuilt PC's 6 November 18th 03 05:16 PM