Laserjet 6P and XP

Old February 4th 12, 01:19 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gene West[_2_]

Default Laserjet 6P and XP

I have XP Pro and an HP Laserjet 6P with which I cannot print after
installation. I got the latest drivers for XP (lj632) from the HP web
site and unzipped and installed them. The installation seemed to go OK,
however, I cannot print a test page or print from MS Notepad. I
reinstalled several times to no avail. I am at a loss as to what to do
next. Any ideas?

Geneo
Old February 4th 12, 02:39 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "Gene West"

| I have XP Pro and an HP Laserjet 6P with which I cannot print after
| installation. I got the latest drivers for XP (lj632) from the HP web
| site and unzipped and installed them. The installation seemed to go OK,
| however, I cannot print a test page or print from MS Notepad. I
| reinstalled several times to no avail. I am at a loss as to what to do
| next. Any ideas?
|
| Geneo

How - Parallel port, USB, JetDirect ?

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
Old February 4th 12, 04:15 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gene West[_2_]

Parallel port on Lpt1. Also, it works well with all my Linux programs,
(Mint and Ubuntu)

From: "Gene West"

Old February 4th 12, 11:10 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Peter Hill

From: "Gene West"

| I have XP Pro and an HP Laserjet 6P with which I cannot print after |
installation. I got the latest drivers for XP (lj632) from the HP web |
site and unzipped and installed them. The installation seemed to go OK,
| however, I cannot print a test page or print from MS Notepad. I |
reinstalled several times to no avail. I am at a loss as to what to do |
next. Any ideas?
| | Geneo

How - Parallel port, USB, JetDirect ?

There are a number of different BIOS settings for parallel ports.
Make sure it's set as ECP as that's what HP spec says it uses. The XP
Device manager will show it as "ECP Printer Port".

And there's port settings tab on the properties in XP device manager.
Try not to use interrupt
Never use interrupt
Use any interrupt assigned to the port.

And enable legacy PnP detection.

No help to you but my antique Epson EPL-5200 laser printer is fine on
ECP, never use interrupt and legacy PnP unchecked.

Now you need someone that knows what settings a 6P needs in XP for the
HP driver. Linux is probably quite willing to assume the printer is
dumb and just shoves PCL6 at it, while the HP driver will expect it to
talk back with list of installed options etc. and fails if it doesn't.

This suggests you need to check the Legacy PnP.
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer...-6p/td-p/34548
--
Peter Hill
Spamtrap reply domain as per NNTP-Posting-Host in header
Old February 4th 12, 02:28 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "Gene West"

| Parallel port on Lpt1. Also, it works well with all my Linux programs,
| (Mint and Ubuntu)

On the same computer using LPT1: or a different computer's parallel port ?

From: "Gene

| I have XP Pro and an HP Laserjet 6P with which I cannot print after |
installation. I got the latest drivers for XP (lj632) from the HP web |
site and unzipped and installed them. The installation seemed to go OK,
| however, I cannot print a test page or print from MS Notepad. I |
reinstalled several times to no avail. I am at a loss as to what to do |
next. Any ideas?
| | Geneo

How - Parallel port, USB, JetDirect ?

There are a number of different BIOS settings for parallel ports.
Make sure it's set as ECP as that's what HP spec says it uses. The XP
Device manager will show it as "ECP Printer Port".

And there's port settings tab on the properties in XP device manager.
Try not to use interrupt
Never use interrupt
Use any interrupt assigned to the port.

And enable legacy PnP detection.

No help to you but my antique Epson EPL-5200 laser printer is fine on
ECP, never use interrupt and legacy PnP unchecked.

Now you need someone that knows what settings a 6P needs in XP for the
HP driver. Linux is probably quite willing to assume the printer is
dumb and just shoves PCL6 at it, while the HP driver will expect it to
talk back with list of installed options etc. and fails if it doesn't.

This suggests you need to check the Legacy PnP.
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer...-6p/td-p/34548

Problem solved -- thank you, thank you, thank you

First of all I discovered my LPT was disabled in the BIOS -- LPT also
didn't show in the Device Manager
In BIOS I enabled LPT with 3F8 (Int 7, I believe was also enabled)
Changed to mode ECP
Saved changes and booted into XP
All pages began to print --- Hooray
Now I see "ECP Printer Port (LPT1)" in Device Manager under the Ports
(COM & LPT) category -- before I only saw COM1 and COM2

As a footnote, my Linux Mint and Ubuntu systems (which printed OK) were
on a different computer which did have LPT enabled, however, it was not
in the ECP mode (guess it didn't make any difference). That pretty much
explains why the HP 6P worked on that computer.

Thanks again for your help.
Geneo

Old February 4th 12, 11:48 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "Gene West"

| Problem solved -- thank you, thank you, thank you
|
| First of all I discovered my LPT was disabled in the BIOS -- LPT also
| didn't show in the Device Manager
| In BIOS I enabled LPT with 3F8 (Int 7, I believe was also enabled)
| Changed to mode ECP
| Saved changes and booted into XP
| All pages began to print --- Hooray
| Now I see "ECP Printer Port (LPT1)" in Device Manager under the Ports
| (COM & LPT) category -- before I only saw COM1 and COM2
|
| As a footnote, my Linux Mint and Ubuntu systems (which printed OK) were
| on a different computer which did have LPT enabled, however, it was not
| in the ECP mode (guess it didn't make any difference). That pretty much
| explains why the HP 6P worked on that computer.
|
| Thanks again for your help.
| Geneo

Good deal -- Thanx for the update.