BLACK too dark...

Old December 15th 11, 09:30 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Rob[_18_]

Default BLACK too dark...

On 15/12/2011 12:52 PM, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
writes:

On 14/12/2011 1:25 AM, a wrote:

/../

I don't have your printer but there are ways to correct it in the
settings. thats not in the quality settings.

its the advanced settings,

Hi Rob,
I went and installed the driver on my WinXP installation. I looked and
looked, and could not find anything in color management to do with
black. Only CMY/RGB sliders or color wheels. If you can find something,
please let us know (you can install the driver even without a printer by
choosing FILE: as the connection during the installation procesS).

I will look at a the R200 up on a friend system tomorrow and find where
it could be.

I have a black density control with my printer Epson 7900 and can't
remember where the others are controlled.

What programme are you printing through??
Old December 15th 11, 01:31 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
a[_6_]

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 12:32:55 +0900, Gernot Hassenpflug
wrote:

You probably should find the PPD used by the printer. Get the driver
file (the .exe which is just an archive), open it with an archiver
program and look at the various files in it if you can't do a proper
search on your system.

my cdrom installation driver has no ppd file

so i went here (italian page)
and i found ver. 6.62
http://esupport.epson-europe.com/Pro...q 0U003D&tc=6
(at the bottom I notice a ICC file (if you click it ther eis an explanation
about what it does)

i downloaded and opened what i found (epson325334eu.exe)
but no PPD file found

Also i goggled but didn't find any XP SX510W Ver. 3.7.6.0(08-2009)

Old December 19th 11, 05:02 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gernot Hassenpflug

Joel writes:

Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:

Rob writes:

On 14/12/2011 1:25 AM, a wrote:

/../

I don't have your printer but there are ways to correct it in the
settings. thats not in the quality settings.

its the advanced settings,

Hi Rob,
I went and installed the driver on my WinXP installation. I looked and
looked, and could not find anything in color management to do with
black. Only CMY/RGB sliders or color wheels. If you can find something,
please let us know (you can install the driver even without a printer by
choosing FILE: as the connection during the installation procesS).

I don't think you should look any further, because there has never been
one in the past and I don't think there will be one in the future. Because

- The printer will print to whatever color or level base on the command from
the image. Or it will print whatever the image tells the printer to print.

- If you want to control or adjust the color or level then you will have to
adjust using graphic program.

- *IF* you want to print using *LESS* ink (or toner of you use laser
printer) then you may need to find a util design for it.

With laser there should be option to control the amount of toner, Inkjet
and Laser there used to be a small program called InkSaver which only work
with WinXP and older *not* Win7. And it will reduce the amount of ALL
COLORS

So, if you want to control the BLACK or any specific color then you may
want to use a graphic editor with option to adjust each individual color.

Two comments:

1) Joel, you are likely correct about the Windows driver, it is
evidently crap and if the user does not want to use MacOSX or linux to
get access to the better driver there, he will have to do as you
suggest;

2) looking at the CUPS driver for the SX510W, I see it has tons of
options, including separate density controls (course and fine) for all
the inks (including of course black). So even a cursory look show that
the CUPS driver can access far more capabilities of the printer than the
Windows driver.
--
Gernot Hassenpflug
Old December 21st 11, 03:21 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gernot Hassenpflug

Joel writes:

Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:

Joel writes:

Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:

Rob writes:

On 14/12/2011 1:25 AM, a wrote:

[...]

Hi Joel,
I'll explain this for the benefit of other readers, so they don't get
the wrong information from you.

It doesn't matter if the driver is for Windows, Mac, Linux, Unit,
Commodore or whatever, they do not have any option to control the image. The
image is a file with many commands to tell the computer how to display the
image on monitor, how to print to paper etc..

The above is totally irrelevant to the driver and printer, so it should
be deleted.
(Essentially, as you say, what is shown on the computer is totally
unrelated to what the driver does).

The driver is a file with command to tell the printer to obey the command,
and that's it.

Sweet Jesus...

Let me correct this:

The driver, for most printers, is a filter program that accepts RGB data
from an application and outputs a printer-specific language to the
printer to print those data.

Note 1: some printer drivers can accept different data than RGB, but
they are few and far between. On most consumer-level printers a driver
takes RGB input.

Note 2: if the application (or worse, usually an ignorant user) sends
non-RGB data to the driver, the driver accepts it but *first converts it
to RGB* before further processing it to finally output the
printer-specific language. The conversion from the non-RGB to RGB input
mostly results in a severe change in the resultant printout.

If you want to talk about driver and OS, then it's a different story. In
Windows we have tens of thousands of apps, and over 1/2 dozen of differant
version of Windows to face more compatibility issue. When MAC, Lunix has
few, and Commodore has none so they face fewer incompatible issue

Possibly your use of the word "driver" is different to mine, but
whatever the case may be, essentially each printer has a driver, but it
may be that some applications can output printer-specific language and
there is no need for a separate "driver" filter program. This is rather
rare, but can certainly be the case. The reason it is rare is that even
with standard formats, like postscript, printers usually have
printer-specific functionality which the "driver" filter program
inserts into the application-generated output file. It would be crazy to
have applications support printers in such a manner!

Heck, some OS don't even have driver to begin with. Then the operators
(owners) issue.

See above.

I still don't think there is any printer driver with option to adjust any
individual color. I am a professional photographer and I often send to
printlab hundreds of photos (at once), so I know pretty well the
relationship between color + printer + monitor + color space + printer
profile etc.

I have no problem with your expertise with profiles.
However, you are dead wrong about the actions of a driver and what it
can do.

Since a driver converts RGB (see notes above) into printer-specific
language and color-set (with Epson it is physical colors in 1-to-1
mapping, with Canon you send logical color data to the firmware which
then converts that to the real inks), and of course you can do whatever
you like in the conversion process.

That Epson in their Windows driver only chose to give the user certain
functionality is sad, but common. That is why I mentioned that the linux
and MacOSX driver has far more options, including of course the control
of individual colors.

And some color I don't even dare to touch (just leave it/them alone or
real light). IOW, some colors (they says 256K of colors which I can't count
them, but I know some color either the program or monitor can't handle)

Some example

BLACK = always be BLACK and there is no lesser BLACK

BLACK = the combination of BLUE + RED, antyhig in between (more/less) will
be different color

Just remember some color printer has between 4-6 colors (Inks or Toners),
and just between the Greyscale - BLACK it has dozens of levels (years ago
some mentions 64 levels of greyscale but I can't count them either).

What I am trying to say that *if* we adjust any of the 4-6 colors (from
printer driver) then it will mess up the 256k of colors system.

Sure, accepted. However, if you choose to tone down BLACK (and not
PHOTO-BLACK), then that will not affect images, just the text (yes,
understood that grayscale also uses other colors, but if the OP is using
just the black ink cartridge, this is not an issue).

Regards,
--
Gernot Hassenpflug
Old December 28th 11, 01:15 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gernot Hassenpflug

I would just like to note that the linux/MacOSX driver *can* be compiled/installed
on Windows, so the OP could definitely get the tuning he wants for his
black ink printing. It is available as a plugin for Photoshop.

Download:
http://code.google.com/p/wingp/downloads/list

Why gutenprint drivers are often better than the default drivers
supplied by the manufacturer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutenprint

Developer weblog with instructions for installation:
http://webblog.ru/Dickobraz/58513/In...Photoshop.html
http://www.webblog.ru/Dickobraz/gutenprint/
--
Gernot Hassenpflug