Axcel 46CD obtained

Old July 10th 10, 05:25 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers[_2_]

Default Axcel 46CD obtained

Just to stir up this group a little, I need to say that I got myself a
PB Axcel 46CD desktop system today. Customer housecleaning, along with
other work I did there. Haven't touched it yet to see if it powers up or
what is inside. Any interest in either the whole system or parts?
Assuming that it actually works, of course. Will probably try to power
it up early in the week... Ben Myers
Old July 11th 10, 02:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Hi Ben

Details. CPU. Mem. Works. Pic.

Any news about the other item we discussed a couple of months ago?

( Hint: ATX )

bob

Old July 11th 10, 06:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers[_2_]

"Ben wrote in message
Just to stir up this group a little, I need to say that I got myself a PB
Axcel 46CD desktop system today. Customer housecleaning, along with other
work I did there. Haven't touched it yet to see if it powers up or what is
inside. Any interest in either the whole system or parts? Assuming that
it actually works, of course. Will probably try to power it up early in
the week... Ben Myers

Powered it up yesterday and peeked inside. 66MHz 486-DX2, 20MB (!!!) of
memory, full-length PB sound card, probably a proprietary CD-ROM drive,
420MB IDE disk drive, floppy drive. Case pretty clean, but I may have
to work a bit to remove some discoloration. No dents or dings in the
case. Motherboard identifies self as some sort of PB450, and complains
that it needs a new CMOS battery.

I still have low-profile AGP cards set aside. The last few weeks have
been pretty intense, as I have a server project moving along, the usual
din of broken and virus-laden laptops and desktops to work on, and my
stock of most Dell and IBM laptops to sell off in parts... Ben
Old July 11th 10, 06:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Hi Ben !

Forgot to ask, what case ? Tower or desktop ?

They ALL complain about the battery. :-)

And I was referring to the PB ATX thingy I recently found, and you mentioned
that you might know of another one. Been wondering if that would ever be
available. I need to find another to bring "up to date" with modern innards.
:-)

bob

-

Old July 12th 10, 03:00 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers[_2_]

"Ben wrote in message
-

Powered it up yesterday and peeked inside. 66MHz 486-DX2, 20MB (!!!) of
memory, full-length PB sound card, probably a proprietary CD-ROM drive,
420MB IDE disk drive, floppy drive. Case pretty clean, but I may have to
work a bit to remove some discoloration. No dents or dings in the case.
Motherboard identifies self as some sort of PB450, and complains that it
needs a new CMOS battery.

I still have low-profile AGP cards set aside. The last few weeks have
been pretty intense, as I have a server project moving along, the usual
din of broken and virus-laden laptops and desktops to work on, and my
stock of most Dell and IBM laptops to sell off in parts... Ben

The Axcel 46CD is a desktop case.

The PB ATX system is currently in use at a somewhat destitute public
library, and they come up with money now and again for me to do minimal
work to keep computers running. I will prod them to take it out of
service, replaced by anything more modern... Ben
Old July 18th 10, 08:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Hi Ben !

"Ben Myers" wrote in message

The PB ATX system is currently in use at a somewhat destitute public
library, and they come up with money now and again for me to do minimal
work to keep computers running. I will prod them to take it out of
service, replaced by anything more modern... Ben

I wonder if it would help if I sent over a PIII machine to replace the PB ?
Maybe something even better.

:-)

bob

Old July 19th 10, 04:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers[_2_]

On 7/18/2010 3:39 PM, Robert E. Watts wrote:
Hi Ben !

"Ben wrote in message

The PB ATX system is currently in use at a somewhat destitute public
library, and they come up with money now and again for me to do minimal
work to keep computers running. I will prod them to take it out of
service, replaced by anything more modern... Ben

I wonder if it would help if I sent over a PIII machine to replace the PB ?
Maybe something even better.

:-)

bob

The library in question remains as destitute as ever. They have not
paid the very modest bill I sent for parts and labor and time spent
training their part-time in-house computer person.

I have a low-end P4 system I would donate in return for the PB ATX
system, but I'll be darned if I will spend another minute doing anything
for them until they pay up.

In the meantime, I have not taken photos of the PB 486 desktop system.
I have some other computer photo work to do soon, so maybe I'll line it
up for a photo when the sun shines on it just so... Ben
Old August 18th 10, 07:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers[_2_]

Default Last Call: Axcel 46CD

"Ben wrote in message
[...]

This wonderful and perfectly working Axcel 46CD has been sitting here
for over a month with no takers. Price is highly negotiable + exact
cost of shipping to you. If nobody wants it by next Wednesday, Aug 25,
it gets torn down for scrap. I need the space here.

Photos available on request... Ben Myers

Old August 19th 10, 01:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Hi Ben !

"Ben Myers" wrote in message

This wonderful and perfectly working Axcel 46CD has been sitting here for
over a month with no takers. Price is highly negotiable + exact cost of
shipping to you. If nobody wants it by next Wednesday, Aug 25, it gets
torn down for scrap. I need the space here.

Hate to see it go to the scrapyard Ben. Sure you can't find a hole for it
somewhere ? I would pick it up if it was at a yard sale for $5 or $10, but
with a collection of about 30 PB's, and various other items, I have to draw
the line somewhere. Shipping is always the big issue with collecting. It
adds up after a while, and I tend to look at the "bottom line" when it comes
to collecting the "usual", as opposed to the "unusual". ( If that was a
Corner Computer, I would have jumped on it the instant your message hit the
ng. :-)

Find a spot for it Ben. It will certainly be a "collectors item" in about
200 years. 8=}

Keep us posted when stuff comes along Ben, I appreciate it !

bob