CPU too hot on boot up

Old July 27th 08, 03:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Default CPU too hot on boot up

On Jul 27, 6:39*am, " wrote:
On Jul 27, 5:13*am, " wrote:

On Jul 27, 3:20*am, Paul wrote:

wrote:
On Jul 26, 7:17 pm, tobe wrote:
wrote:
Now , that's interesting but let me understand - why if at 92c you say
heatsink is making good contact ?
However that's an excellent question because it's cool to the touch.
So, no the conditions are not consistent with the readout.
Also the HSF has not been removed. *I put down a nice coat of arctic
before laying the heatsink down.
By "a nice coat" how thick do you mean. *It is recommended, IIRC, that
the coat should be 0.003" thick! *Too thick a coat can cause
overheating, too!

Well I didn't have my micrometer but I believe it was about close
enough. *Not thick.
I am going to reset it but I think replacing the HSF wouldn't be a bad
idea either. *I

I think when you remove it, you're going to see a pattern in the AS
that tells you it wasn't making good contact. If you clean off the
AS, put a single rice grain of AS in the center of the CPU, install
the heatsink, remove it and examine the pattern, the AS probably won't
have spread over the entire surface. And that implies a problem with
the fit.

* * Paul

I readl through an AS pdf online. *It shows a line in the center,
longer then a rice grain but short of the height of the chip. *The
heat spreader is apparently wider then the actual cpu so it need not
spread corner to corner. *Unless this document is incorrect I'll try
that.

Stuart

Postedit - removed HSF, cleaned and prepped with AS kit both,
reseated, on load completion in Windows BEFO 67C CURRENT 47.
About to try Prime

Prime after just a few minutes that I stopped, using RealTemp , first
core was at 82 already , other 3 under 70 but high 60's.
82 concerns me. Perhaps I need to make some adjustments in Prime
program .

Stuart