How to diagnose a dead PS?

Old July 22nd 08, 02:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bruce.

Default How to diagnose a dead PS?

I have what I think is a dead power supply. There are no lights or any sign
of activity anymore. Normally there is a ASUS P5E MB LED on even when the
PS if off. No response to the power button at all. Completely inert. No
fans, no lights, no nothing.

To make sure it's the PS, is there a voltage on one of the PS connectors
that is ALWAYS present that I can check for to see if the PS is producing
anything at all? I recently upgaded to all new parts so both the PS and MB
are relatively new.

Thanks.
Bruce.

Old July 22nd 08, 02:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Clas Mehus

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 08:02:48 -0500, "Bruce."
wrote:

I have what I think is a dead power supply. There are no lights or any sign
of activity anymore. Normally there is a ASUS P5E MB LED on even when the
PS if off. No response to the power button at all. Completely inert. No
fans, no lights, no nothing.

To make sure it's the PS, is there a voltage on one of the PS connectors
that is ALWAYS present that I can check for to see if the PS is producing
anything at all? I recently upgaded to all new parts so both the PS and MB
are relatively new.

You can start it with using a paperclip or something to short-circut a
couple of the connectors:
http://www.google.com/search?q=how+t...e7&rlz=1I7GGLJ

--
Clas Mehus
- "Den som har flest prylar när han dör vinner..."
Old July 22nd 08, 03:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Craig Sutton

wrote:

I have what I think is a dead power supply. There are no lights or any
sign
of activity anymore. Normally there is a ASUS P5E MB LED on even when the
PS if off. No response to the power button at all. Completely inert. No
fans, no lights, no nothing.

To make sure it's the PS, is there a voltage on one of the PS connectors
that is ALWAYS present that I can check for to see if the PS is producing
anything at all? I recently upgaded to all new parts so both the PS and
MB
are relatively new.

You can start it with using a paperclip or something to short-circut a
couple of the connectors:

Can we get Skybuck to test this?

Old July 22nd 08, 06:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
RobV[_2_]

Bruce. wrote:
I have what I think is a dead power supply. There are no lights or
any sign of activity anymore. Normally there is a ASUS P5E MB LED on
even when the PS if off. No response to the power button at all.
Completely inert. No fans, no lights, no nothing.

To make sure it's the PS, is there a voltage on one of the PS
connectors that is ALWAYS present that I can check for to see if the
PS is producing anything at all? I recently upgaded to all new parts
so both the PS and MB are relatively new.

Thanks.
Bruce.

The LED on the MB that is normally on, even when the PSU is turned off,
should be lit as long as the PSU is plugged in. It indicates that +5 V
Standby voltage is present, which is necessary to turn the system on.
Since the LED is out, that indicates the PSU is indeed bad.

Old July 22nd 08, 09:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bruce.

"RobV" wrote in message ...
The LED on the MB that is normally on, even when the PSU is turned off,
should be lit as long as the PSU is plugged in. It indicates that +5 V
Standby voltage is present, which is necessary to turn the system on.
Since the LED is out, that indicates the PSU is indeed bad.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Not only is that LED usually on all the time,
but the sound card that came with the P5E is usually lit up too.

It's completely inert. No fans, no nothing. I measured the line voltage at
the socket of the power cord and that looks fine.

No sign of any activity at all, ao I've ordered a PSU replacement for it.
This Corsair 620 PSU was only about 7 weeks old.

Thanks.

Old July 22nd 08, 09:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bruce.

"Clas Mehus" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 08:02:48 -0500, "Bruce."
You can start it with using a paperclip or something to short-circut a
couple of the connectors:
http://www.google.com/search?q=how+t...e7&rlz=1I7GGLJ

Thanks. No sign of activity so I guess it's toast.

Bruce.

Old July 22nd 08, 09:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
William

"Bruce." wrote in message
I have what I think is a dead power supply. There are no lights or any
sign of activity anymore. Normally there is a ASUS P5E MB LED on even when
the PS if off. No response to the power button at all. Completely inert.
No fans, no lights, no nothing.

To make sure it's the PS, is there a voltage on one of the PS connectors
that is ALWAYS present that I can check for to see if the PS is producing
anything at all? I recently upgaded to all new parts so both the PS and
MB are relatively new.

Thanks.
Bruce.

In the good old days, I could open up a power supply and look around for
blown fuses. Pop a new fuse in and see if it ran. If the fuse blew again,
time to buy a new supply. Sometimes a power spike popped the fuse and all
would run OK after installing a new fuse.

Now, the power supplies are so cheep, you couldn't get a technician to touch
that power supply for what you can purchase a new one for. Also - what user
doesn't need a larger wattage power supply for their computer. It's time to
upgrade your system!

William

Old July 22nd 08, 10:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
RobV[_2_]

Bruce. wrote:
"RobV" wrote in message
The LED on the MB that is normally on, even when the PSU is turned
off, should be lit as long as the PSU is plugged in. It indicates
that +5 V Standby voltage is present, which is necessary to turn the
system on. Since the LED is out, that indicates the PSU is indeed
bad.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Not only is that LED usually on all the
time, but the sound card that came with the P5E is usually lit up too.

It's completely inert. No fans, no nothing. I measured the line
voltage at the socket of the power cord and that looks fine.

No sign of any activity at all, ao I've ordered a PSU replacement for
it. This Corsair 620 PSU was only about 7 weeks old.

Thanks.

Yeah, it's the PSU then. No decent power supply should fail that soon.
I've used Antec PSUs for years and the oldest one, about 6 years old, is
still working fine. I'm not advocating Antec PSUs, just commenting that
a good PSU should last for years. Good luck and you're welcome.

Old July 22nd 08, 11:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bruce.

"William" wrote in message
acquisition...
In the good old days, I could open up a power supply and look around for
blown fuses. Pop a new fuse in and see if it ran. If the fuse blew again,
time to buy a new supply. Sometimes a power spike popped the fuse and all
would run OK after installing a new fuse.

Now, the power supplies are so cheep, you couldn't get a technician to
touch that power supply for what you can purchase a new one for. Also -
what user doesn't need a larger wattage power supply for their computer.
It's time to upgrade your system!

It's funny you should mention that because I was just thinking the same
thing. I used to service IBM type equipment and I can't count the number of
times a repair was nothing more than replacing a blown fuse or resetting a
breaker.

I don't know if these supplies have internal fuses they don't want us to
know about, but it's frustrating than small line surges can take out the
whole power supply instead of popping a fuse.

But in this case I don't know if it was a line surge or a PS that went bad,
or maybe both. Since it's only 7 weeks old, I suspect it was a defective
PS.

I did my homework and this power supply it came highly recommended in a
power supply shootout article and the reviews on NewEgg are excellent.

Sigh.

Bruce.

Old July 23rd 08, 12:32 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
mr deo

"Bruce." wrote in message
"William" wrote in message
acquisition...
[...]

Been a long time since I used american sockets, all of the plugs you find in
europe are fused, I seem to recall that nearly all nema plugs had no fuse..
The supply you spoke of doesnt have a fuse removal plug in the back of it, a
lot of supply's dont. But the supply you have does have a lot of nitfy
features so it's possible that something simple is dead (it has a temp
sensor that can go, and the psu is dead)..

Checking for the +5v as mentioned earlier is real important, as "typically
speaking" most of the internal controls are ran from that +5v..
I would (for kicks) just use the same power plug on your monitor and make
sure that all is well there.. for such a new supply it's not worth opening
it as you should be able to get a warranty replacement.