HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD

Old November 5th 06, 12:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

Default HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 13:04:17 GMT,
wrote:

I purchased a new HP Pavilion dv8000t laptop, and HP refuses to send me the
Windows installation disk saying it is already loaded on the machine. Can
they do this?

Mike Norton

yes
If the disc wasn't listed as a part of the system package
you don't get one- unfortunate but too often true.

You have the OEM license sticker with the key on it?
If so, copy someone's Windows disc, but it has to be the
same (OEM version of) Home, or Media Center or Pro
(whichever is installed) presumably SP2 revision. You'd
then need to test your key, if it doesn't accept it you have
the wrong version.
Old November 5th 06, 01:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Robert Heiling

CBFalconer wrote:

beenthere wrote:
"CBFalconer" wrote in message
wrote:

I purchased a new HP Pavilion dv8000t laptop, and HP refuses to
send me the Windows installation disk saying it is already loaded
on the machine. Can they do this?

IBM did too, on a T30 I bought recently. At least they would
supply it for $50. Supposedly there is a way to create it from XP,
but you can't do that without agreeing to the EULA. So I abandoned
it and installed Ubuntu. No signs of Microsoft remain, except the
!@#$% nameplate, which I covered with an Ubuntu sticker.

If everyone returned machines without adequate backup, the practice
would go away.

Presumably tho`, you can return the system to pristine `factory`
condition, if you wish g. It just happens to wipe out all the
software you happen to have installed for your own use. ;(.
Little wonder people get sick of being controlled eh ?.

No, the delivered machine included a hidden partition holding the
XP install stuff. When I installed Ubuntu it wiped that out. No
going back, which is why I wanted the recovery CD.

I hadn't previously caught on that you actually wanted to be able to reinstall
WinXP. There should still be some hope.

HP expects the users themselves to create their own CD's (or DVD) shortly after
buying the computer. That's HP's alternative to furnishing an OS installation
disk. Under Start - Programs - PC Help & Tools they provide a routine to burn
those. You get only one crack at this to make a set of disks as it is a ONE-TIME
operation. I believe this is all to combat software piracy, at least in part.

If you have recently purchased that system then I think your chances are better,
but you will need to call customer support with your tale of woe. You could
probably tell them your system was dead from a virus and you've formatted and
need to install and that's when you couldn't find the installation CD's. You are
entitled to the OS and they're just trying to guard against piracy, so if you
tell a good enough story they might ship you the disks. Do not mention Ubuntu
though as you will be told that they do not support Ubuntu and it will destroy
your chances. Yes, I know that makes no sense, but trust me and don't do it.g

For the OP, I'm amazed that they haven't told you about the Start - Programs -
PC Help & Tools if they haven't. It is a very inferior approach for us as
users, but that's the way it is. :-(

HTH
Bob
Old November 5th 06, 01:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
CBFalconer

Robert Heiling wrote:
CBFalconer wrote:

.... snip ...

No, the delivered machine included a hidden partition holding the
XP install stuff. When I installed Ubuntu it wiped that out. No
going back, which is why I wanted the recovery CD.

I hadn't previously caught on that you actually wanted to be able
to reinstall WinXP. There should still be some hope.

In my case I don't really want it, because it involves agreeing to
the EULA. However I do want the option to change my mind.

http://cbfalconer.home.att.net

Old November 5th 06, 05:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Citizen Bob

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 09:46:51 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Anyone with a clue, which obviously counts this fool out,
would be able to image the physical drive so that they can
restore that image if they ever want to get back to the original.

Everyone on this and other forums are sick of your continual trolling.

FOAD!

--

"First and last, it's a question of money. Those men who own the earth
make the laws to protect what they have. They fix up a sort of fence or

Old November 5th 06, 05:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Citizen Bob

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 15:50:20 -0500, CBFalconer
wrote:

No, the delivered machine included a hidden partition holding the
XP install stuff. When I installed Ubuntu it wiped that out. No
going back, which is why I wanted the recovery CD.

Can you get it from the vendor you bought the machine from?

If not, send it to HP for warranty repair.

Old November 5th 06, 05:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Citizen Bob

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 19:07:49 -0500, kony wrote:

If the disc wasn't listed as a part of the system package
you don't get one- unfortunate but too often true.

You have the OEM license sticker with the key on it?
If so, copy someone's Windows disc, but it has to be the
same (OEM version of) Home, or Media Center or Pro
(whichever is installed) presumably SP2 revision. You'd
then need to test your key, if it doesn't accept it you have
the wrong version.

Failing that, go to bit torrents. For all your trouble, download the
version you want.

Old November 5th 06, 08:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

Citizen Bob wrote

Never ever could bull**** its way out of its predicament, pathological liar.

reams of your puerile **** any 2 year old could leave for dead flushed where it belongs