HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD

Old November 4th 06, 01:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default HP Refuses to provide XP installation CD

I purchased a new HP Pavilion dv8000t laptop, and HP refuses to send me the
Windows installation disk saying it is already loaded on the machine. Can
they do this?

Mike Norton

Old November 4th 06, 02:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
beenthere

wrote in message
I purchased a new HP Pavilion dv8000t laptop, and HP refuses to send me the
Windows installation disk saying it is already loaded on the machine. Can
they do this?

Mike Norton

Yes, they`ve done it. It`s on a partition on your hard drive.

Old November 4th 06, 07:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

wrote:

I purchased a new HP Pavilion dv8000t laptop, and HP refuses to send me the Windows installation
disk saying it is already loaded on the machine. Can they do this?

Yes.

Old November 4th 06, 08:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
beenthere

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

I purchased a new HP Pavilion dv8000t laptop, and HP refuses to send me
the Windows installation disk saying it is already loaded on the machine.
Can they do this?

Yes.

I`ve already said that Rod g.

Old November 4th 06, 10:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

CBFalconer wrote
beenthere wrote
CBFalconer wrote

I purchased a new HP Pavilion dv8000t laptop, and HP
refuses to send me the Windows installation disk saying
it is already loaded on the machine. Can they do this?

IBM did too, on a T30 I bought recently. At least they would
supply it for $50. Supposedly there is a way to create it from XP,
but you can't do that without agreeing to the EULA. So I abandoned
it and installed Ubuntu. No signs of Microsoft remain, except the
!@#$% nameplate, which I covered with an Ubuntu sticker.

If everyone returned machines without adequate
backup, the practice would go away.

Presumably tho`, you can return the system to pristine `factory`
condition, if you wish g. It just happens to wipe out all the
software you happen to have installed for your own use. ;(.
Little wonder people get sick of being controlled eh ?.

No, the delivered machine included a hidden partition holding
the XP install stuff. When I installed Ubuntu it wiped that out.
No going back, which is why I wanted the recovery CD.

Anyone with a clue, which obviously counts this fool out,
would be able to image the physical drive so that they can
restore that image if they ever want to get back to the original.

Old November 4th 06, 11:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
DaveW

Yes they can, as you discovered.

--
DaveW