Upgrade time

Old February 15th 04, 05:01 AM
AMDfan

Default Upgrade time

I'm currently using a K6-III+ running at 500-Mhz in a Gigabyte board. I
would like to upgrade to a new system that runs at 1-Ghz or higher. I
would also like the new board to use my 168-pin 100-Mhz SDRAM for now,
with the possibility of upgrading the RAM later.

Please recommend some motherboards and AMD processors for this upgrade.

Thanks

Old February 15th 04, 05:51 AM
Amir Facade

This should prove an interesting thread, but I'll throw in my .02.
Mobo= ECS K7S5A and an athlon 1700XP chip.
Sounds like you are on a tight budget.
That combo can be had for around $80.
Of course you may need an ATX PSU, new case, etc.

Old February 15th 04, 06:35 AM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 00:01:43 -0500, AMDfan wrote:

I'm currently using a K6-III+ running at 500-Mhz in a Gigabyte board. I
would like to upgrade to a new system that runs at 1-Ghz or higher. I
would also like the new board to use my 168-pin 100-Mhz SDRAM for now,
with the possibility of upgrading the RAM later.

Please recommend some motherboards and AMD processors for this upgrade.

Only very old cpu's and MB's will support PC100 ram. If you are going to
upgrade, do it right. Get new MB/CPU and ram, then sell you old MB/cpu and
ram on ebay (they'll buy anything there). If you are determined to to use
your old ram, go to ebay and buy a used/pulled MB cpu cheap. tell me how
much you can afford to spend and I'll recommend somthing.

Old February 15th 04, 02:55 PM
Identity

Wes Newell wrote:

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 00:01:43 -0500, AMDfan wrote:

I'm currently using a K6-III+ running at 500-Mhz in a Gigabyte board. I
would like to upgrade to a new system that runs at 1-Ghz or higher. I
would also like the new board to use my 168-pin 100-Mhz SDRAM for now,
with the possibility of upgrading the RAM later.

Please recommend some motherboards and AMD processors for this upgrade.

Only very old cpu's and MB's will support PC100 ram. If you are going to
upgrade, do it right. Get new MB/CPU and ram, then sell you old MB/cpu and
ram on ebay (they'll buy anything there). If you are determined to to use
your old ram, go to ebay and buy a used/pulled MB cpu cheap. tell me how
much you can afford to spend and I'll recommend somthing.

I'd also like to point out that the AMD K6III+ is a rare CPU, the best for
Socket 7 there is. People will pay you good money for it 2nd hand.

Also, it I believe it interprets a 2x multiplier setting as a 6x multiplier.
So if you set the multiplier to 2x on the motherboard, it'll run at 600MHz.
They're meant to be good for overclocking.

Old February 16th 04, 08:21 AM
John Smith

"Identity" wrote in message
Wes Newell wrote:

[...]

If you are sure it is a k6-III*plus* model just name your price!
Also PC100 (or better still PC133) goes for good money - you could get the
more for it than the cost of say PC1600/2100 bought s/h.

BTW all K6-2/IIIs (apart from a few 233-350 models) recognise 2x as 6x, but
only really useful on *old* mobos that do not have 4-5.5x multipliers - my
mum has my K6-3/450 (6x75) on a P55-t2p4.

Keith

Old February 16th 04, 01:21 PM
Dave

..

Also, it I believe it interprets a 2x multiplier setting as a 6x

multiplier.
So if you set the multiplier to 2x on the motherboard, it'll run at

600MHz.
They're meant to be good for overclocking.

If you are sure it is a k6-III*plus* model just name your price!
Also PC100 (or better still PC133) goes for good money - you could get

the
more for it than the cost of say PC1600/2100 bought s/h.

BTW all K6-2/IIIs (apart from a few 233-350 models) recognise 2x as 6x,

but
only really useful on *old* mobos that do not have 4-5.5x multipliers - my
mum has my K6-3/450 (6x75) on a P55-t2p4.

Good Board. Try the 83 Mhz FSB option, though you may have to increase the
VCore. There is a series of articles on Tom's Hardware that has the hidden
FSB settings for the board. I ran my K6-2/500 with a little extra VCore to
make it work on that board at 500 Mhz (6x83). It also took a lot of
tweaking of the EDO ram to make it work, basically dropping a lot of the
speeds down so it worked but the increased bus speed more than compensated.

Dave

Old February 16th 04, 09:17 PM
Geoff

AMDfan wrote:
I'm currently using a K6-III+ running at 500-Mhz in a Gigabyte board.
I would like to upgrade to a new system that runs at 1-Ghz or higher.

very good

I would also like the new board to use my 168-pin 100-Mhz SDRAM for
now, with the possibility of upgrading the RAM later.

you could have done this a few years ago, but not anymore, put some nice DDR
ram on your shopping list
hardware is dirt cheap these days anyway

i'd say, xp2400 cpu
via kt600
256 meg pc2100(or 2700, might as well get faster, it's the same price more
or less)

that'll do for a cheap system
don't skimp and buy anything cheaper than above, it'll only come back to
haunt you

Old February 20th 04, 03:47 AM
AMDfan

Identity wrote:

Wes Newell wrote:

[...]

It's definitely a K6-III+ I bought it online about two years ago when
they were getting hard to find then. I usually run it at 500-Mhz and
have occasionally gone up to 600-Mhz, using a software clock multiplier.
It's neat to be able to change the CPU speed on the fly. It's been a
good processor but it's time to move on to something above the 1-Gig
mark. I'm not a gamer so it doesn't have to be a super hot system.

I'd appreciate more suggestions regarding specific motherboards for the
Athlon-XP family, maybe a 2400. I'm now willing to give up my 168-pin
PC100 SDRAM for the sake of upgrading to a better system with DDR.

Thanks