Can I use Intel Mobile Pentium 4 on Asus P4PE

Old August 19th 06, 01:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Sophie Prunelle

Default Can I use Intel Mobile Pentium 4 on Asus P4PE

Hello,

Do you known if I can use Intel Mobile Pentium 4 on an Asus P4PE ?

http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SL726
http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL726.html

http://support.asus.com/ say P4PE support Pentium 4 3.06 Ghz, but say noting
about Mobile Pentium 4

(Of course, all these cpu are socket 478)

Old August 19th 06, 06:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Barry Watzman

I have used Mobile P4's on a desktop motherboard. It may run [VERY]
slow, because without speedstep support the CPU may operate at the
low-power speedstep settings, but it should post and run in most cases.

Old August 19th 06, 07:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

In article , "Sophie Prunelle"
wrote:

Hello,

Do you known if I can use Intel Mobile Pentium 4 on an Asus P4PE ?

http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SL726
http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL726.html

http://support.asus.com/ say P4PE support Pentium 4 3.06 Ghz, but say noting
about Mobile Pentium 4

(Of course, all these cpu are socket 478)

When plugged into a desktop board, a processor like that runs
at 1200MHz. As Barry said, it uses Speedstep, a laptop (mobile)
technology, and the multiplier on all models starts the
processor in the low power state, which is multiplier x12.
When signalled by GHI and DPSLP, it switches to the x23
multiplier (133MHz x 23 = 3.06GHz).

That processor is known as the "overclockers special". The
best board for that processor is P4C800-E Deluxe, or any
875P chipset based motherboard. An 865PE motherboard is
another possibility, but they do not overclock quite as
high.

When plugged into an 875P board, the FSB starts at FSB400
and the processor reports 1200MHz. The user then adjusts
the CPU clock from 100Mhz to 300MHz. The FSB then runs
at FSB1200 and the processor at 3600MHz. The processor
runs cool and stable at 3600MHz. Generally, the memory
divider has to be turned down, unless you have DDR600
capable memory.

On a P4PE, the FSB can probably be pushed from FSB400 to
FSB800, which means the processor will go from the startup
value of 1200MHz to 2400MHz. (To do that on a P4PE, you can
only run one stick of RAM at DDR400, and the clock must be
adjusted for stability. It may only work at FSB796 for
example.) Which is not nearly as impressive.

If you can get a SL726 for a reasonable price, then try
to find an 875P chipset based motherboard, like a P4C800-E
Deluxe, as you will then be able to get the best performance
from the chip.

Note that for the mobiles, stepping D1 is the good one.
There are people who sell the other steppings (B, C) and
those don't overclock to 3.6GHz. So the SL726 is the
"best of the best". Chances are, if you buy it second
hand, it has been overclocked for all of its life.

Paul