Why widescreen in monitors

Old December 5th 07, 03:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
bealoid

Default Why widescreen in monitors

Geri wrote in
news9Gdna_BpaggacjanZ2dnUVZ_viunZ2d@brainstormin ternet.net:

I’m looking for a new LCD monitor something around 19 or 20 inches. My
question is why widescreen? If my needs are viewing the internet and
word processing or spreadsheet I can’t see an advantage. Since the
screen size is measured diagonally from corner to corner a 20 inch
widescreen monitor is about the same as a 17 inch monitor vertically.
Please tell me why widescreen is so popular. BTW, I don’t watch TV on
my PC.

Some graphics cards allow you to rotate the display. So you can buy a
widescreen, tip it on its side, and software rotate the display. You end
up with a nice -but unstable- portrait monitor.

I dunno what hapens with mice pointers - you might have to hold the mouse
sideways.

Personally, I like widescreen because I use RS feeds, so i have them open
on one side and a browser open on the other.
Old December 5th 07, 03:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Phisherman

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 00:47:20 +1030, "Fred" wrote:

Geri wrote:
I’m looking for a new LCD monitor something around 19 or 20 inches. My
question is why widescreen? If my needs are viewing the internet
and word processing or spreadsheet I can’t see an advantage. Since
the screen size is measured diagonally from corner to corner a 20 inch
widescreen monitor is about the same as a 17 inch monitor vertically.
Please tell me why widescreen is so popular.

I'd say Wide Screen video is better on a Widescreen monitor. Also there is
not much side scrolling needed on certain apps when using my 24" widescreen
compared to my 22" CRT.
Apart from that I believe a widescreen monitor is better value from the
manufacturers because they can cut the Flat Panels from the glass substrate
using widescreen dimensions with less wastage.

BTW, I don’t watch TV on
my PC.

It's personal preference. I have used both and prefer the widescreen
as this greatly reduces side-to-side scrolling, allows vertical menu
bars, and comparing two documents easier (than using two monitors).
After you have used both formats, chances are good you'll favor the
widescreen. Great for spreadsheets.
Old December 5th 07, 04:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Weiss[_2_]

"Bob Fry" wrote...
You're preaching to the choir. I shopped for an LCD monitor a few
months ago and managed to get a 20" 4:3 ViewSonic. 20" in widescreen
is a joke, you have to go up to 24" at least. I'd rather have two 4:3
monitors.

When shopping for a monitor for my new build, I decided on a 24" wide screen,
mainly because of the lack of good 4:3 monitors and the lack of vertical size on
anything smaller.

I am VERY happy with my Samsung 244T. I suspect that it would be equivalent to
a pair of 17-19" 4:3 monitors, but it is hard to find those of similar
quality/specs any more. I am getting used to re-arranging my open windows to
make better use of the real estate.

FWIW, the Samsung T series is WAY different than the B series -- wider/better
view; must be different TFT!

Old December 6th 07, 07:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Franc Zabkar

On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 17:46:41 -0700, Geri put finger to
keyboard and composed:

I’m looking for a new LCD monitor something around 19 or 20 inches. My
question is why widescreen? If my needs are viewing the internet and
word processing or spreadsheet I can’t see an advantage. Since the
screen size is measured diagonally from corner to corner a 20 inch
widescreen monitor is about the same as a 17 inch monitor vertically.
Please tell me why widescreen is so popular. BTW, I don’t watch TV on
my PC.

Thanks, Geri

As someone else stated, widescreen would be good for spreadsheets, but
a 4:3 screen would be better for letters and A4 documents. IMO the
best aspect ratio for word processors would be 210:297 (A4 size).
That's about 7:10. During the late 80s Wang word processors had paper
white, "portrait", full-sheet-of-paper monitors. More recently there
were 4:3 LCD panels that you could rotate 90 degrees, but I haven't
come across any lately.

- Franc Zabkar
Old December 6th 07, 03:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Weiss

"Franc Zabkar" wrote...

IMO the
best aspect ratio for word processors would be 210:297 (A4 size).
That's about 7:10. During the late 80s Wang word processors had paper
white, "portrait", full-sheet-of-paper monitors. More recently there
were 4:3 LCD panels that you could rotate 90 degrees, but I haven't
come across any lately.

So, pivot the wide screen and come as close as you can feasibly get!

Old December 6th 07, 07:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill

In article ,
says...
[...]

There's a couple of them out there.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?
Submit=Property&Subcategory=20&Description=&Type=& N=2010190020
&srchInDesc=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&PropertyCodeValue =3019%3A19996
&PropertyCodeValue=2970%3A19608&PropertyCodeValue= 2970%3A28603
&PropertyCodeValue=2970%3A19522&PropertyCodeValue= 2970%3A19613
&PropertyCodeValue=2970%3A19525

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yujzyg

Bill
Old December 9th 07, 10:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Chris Darwin

"Geri" wrote in message
news9Gdna_BpaggacjanZ2dnUVZ_viunZ2d@brainstormin ternet.net...
I’m looking for a new LCD monitor something around 19 or 20 inches. My
question is why widescreen? If my needs are viewing the internet and word
processing or spreadsheet I can’t see an advantage. Since the screen size
is measured diagonally from corner to corner a 20 inch widescreen monitor
is about the same as a 17 inch monitor vertically. Please tell me why
widescreen is so popular. BTW, I don’t watch TV on my PC.

Thanks, Geri

I finally went to widescreen and would never go back.

Now when looking over at the regular monitor on the desk it just doesn't
look right. I think it has something to do with the fact that if you look at
the shape and extents of human vision it's closer to the shape of a
widescreen than a conventional one.

More screen space in any direction is always an advantage. You have to
adjust some of your habits to make better use of the space on the side, but
after awhile it becomes normal.