Need spare part for my fried Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA2

Old July 30th 07, 03:36 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TorbenGB

Default Need spare part for my fried Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA2

I have fried the controller board on one of my Seagate Barracuda 320GB
SATA2 drives (accidental short while rebuilding a rig) and I am
looking for a spare board. Does anyone have a broken or used disk that
I could get or buy? Should I contact Seagate directly for a
replacement?

Luckily the controller board is easily exchanged, so as a short-term
solution I could use the board from one of my other identical drives,
but I still want to revive this (unless the costs are similar to
getting a new drive).

I noticed that there are many products called "Seagate Barracuda 320GB
SATA2", so I will update this post with additional details tonight. I
would still appreciate any comments in the meantime!

Old July 30th 07, 03:46 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage TorbenGB wrote:
I have fried the controller board on one of my Seagate Barracuda 320GB
SATA2 drives (accidental short while rebuilding a rig) and I am
looking for a spare board. Does anyone have a broken or used disk that
I could get or buy? Should I contact Seagate directly for a
replacement?

Luckily the controller board is easily exchanged, so as a short-term
solution I could use the board from one of my other identical drives,
but I still want to revive this (unless the costs are similar to
getting a new drive).

I noticed that there are many products called "Seagate Barracuda 320GB
SATA2", so I will update this post with additional details tonight. I
would still appreciate any comments in the meantime!

Depending on what you diod do, you may also have fried the
preamplifiers inside the disk. So maybe you should try this
with a board from your other disks, before spending mone.

Come to think of it, the board will likely be as expensive or more so
than a new disk, unless you manage to get an used one.

Arno
Old July 30th 07, 04:52 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
TorbenGB

Some responses:

Isn't the drive still under warranty??

It would be, except that the warranty doesn't cover self-made idiot
mistakes like this...

you should try this with a board from your other disks

I have tried that, successfully. Sorry for not mentioning this.

the board will likely be as expensive or more so than a new disk, unless you manage to get an used one.

That's why I call out here :-) Perhaps somebody has a spare part lying
around.

Old July 30th 07, 07:17 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
TorbenGB

I noticed that there are many products called "Seagate Barracuda 320GB
SATA2", so I will update this post with additional details tonight.

It's a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB, Product no. 9BJ14G-300.

Old July 30th 07, 10:09 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Pecos[_3_]

TorbenGB wrote in
ups.com:

I have fried the controller board on one of my Seagate Barracuda 320GB
SATA2 drives (accidental short while rebuilding a rig) and I am
looking for a spare board. Does anyone have a broken or used disk that
I could get or buy? Should I contact Seagate directly for a
replacement?

Luckily the controller board is easily exchanged, so as a short-term
solution I could use the board from one of my other identical drives,
but I still want to revive this (unless the costs are similar to
getting a new drive).

I noticed that there are many products called "Seagate Barracuda 320GB
SATA2", so I will update this post with additional details tonight. I
would still appreciate any comments in the meantime!

Read this thread before you go to all the effort and expense to find a new
controller card.

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3092465-1.php

If you are successful in swapping the boards of the two drives you own and
the dead drive works, you might be able to find an identical controller
card (Make/Model/Firmware Rev/Card Rev) and have it work. Please read the
ESD discussion in the linked thread before swapping the boards.

The important thing right now is to back up all of your data before doing
anything else!

--
Alan Norton - Pecos SoftWareWorks
Review of Foxconn 975X7AB-8EKRS2H Mb, IT Articles

Old July 30th 07, 10:29 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Odie Ferrous

Pecos wrote:

Read this thread before you go to all the effort and expense to find a new
controller card.

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3092465-1.php

I just read it.

The person claiming to have worked for "Seagate in the Product Assurance
Department" wasn't aware that the "serial numbers" he was going on about
were actually the drive part numbers.

There was some potentially damaging information in that thread.

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk
Old July 31st 07, 12:22 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
bealoid

"HDRDTD" wrote in
:

"TorbenGB" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have fried the controller board on one of my Seagate Barracuda 320GB
SATA2 drives (accidental short while rebuilding a rig)

Isn't the drive still under warranty??

Would a warranty cover this?
Old July 31st 07, 05:13 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
isaac4all

hi Sorry for that. you can buy a used or fairly used one from
1. Amazon
url
http://affiliate-program.amazon.com/...fieldKeywords=

2. finditall Store
url
http://astore.amazon.com/finditall10...ew=&x=11&y =8

i hope you will be more careful.Sorry once more
have a nice day

isaac okoye
information rules the world
www.finditall100free.ds4a.com/Shopping.htm

Old August 1st 07, 02:40 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
isaac4all

hi
to get a used one. you have to visit amazon to get used ones at a
cheap price
url http://astore.amazon.com/finditall10...69038-9717616?...
to get a used one