Duplex printing curling paper

Old December 13th 11, 11:34 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David Hare-Scott[_2_]

Default Duplex printing curling paper

I have a Samsung CLX-6220FX multifunction colour laser which is capable of
manual duplex printing. I am using standard 80gsm white A4 paper. In
single-side operation it rarely jams. The duplex printing works tolerably
well except that in some cases the paper curls after the first pass and then
jams on the second pass. The curl is along the long side of the paper, that
is the long sides curl up (or down) towards each other.

Is this tendency to curl inherent in the type of paper? If so how do I
choose paper that doesn't do it?

Is curling caused by mishandling the paper? If so how do I handle it to
prevent the problem?

If it does curl is it possible to uncurl the paper after the first pass in
some way?

The manual gives no clue on this.

David

Old December 14th 11, 12:01 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Eager[_2_]

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 10:34:22 +1100, David Hare-Scott wrote:

I have a Samsung CLX-6220FX multifunction colour laser which is capable
of manual duplex printing. I am using standard 80gsm white A4 paper.
In single-side operation it rarely jams. The duplex printing works
tolerably well except that in some cases the paper curls after the first
pass and then jams on the second pass. The curl is along the long side
of the paper, that is the long sides curl up (or down) towards each
other.

Is this tendency to curl inherent in the type of paper? If so how do I
choose paper that doesn't do it?

Is curling caused by mishandling the paper? If so how do I handle it to
prevent the problem?

If it does curl is it possible to uncurl the paper after the first pass
in some way?

Is it related to which way up the paper is placed in the printer?

Years ago I was told, by a photocopier trainer (really) that there was a
right and wrong way up. On the paper I come across (several makes) it's
the right way up if you unwrap the pack with the opening uppermost (as
you usually do!). If you hold the paper between finger and thumb (a good
chunk, say 100 or more sheets) halyway along each long side, the ends
flop down of course. They do it more if it's the 'right' way up.

Try and see if there's any consistency between the 'way up' and the jams
etc.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Old December 14th 11, 04:06 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
I have a Samsung CLX-6220FX multifunction colour laser which is capable of
manual duplex printing. I am using standard 80gsm white A4 paper. In
single-side operation it rarely jams. The duplex printing works tolerably
well except that in some cases the paper curls after the first pass and then
jams on the second pass. The curl is along the long side of the paper, that
is the long sides curl up (or down) towards each other.

Is this tendency to curl inherent in the type of paper? If so how do I
choose paper that doesn't do it?

Is curling caused by mishandling the paper? If so how do I handle it to
prevent the problem?

If it does curl is it possible to uncurl the paper after the first pass in
some way?

The manual gives no clue on this.

David

Paper has a grain, A4 paper has a grain that runs parallel to the long side (A5
is parallel to the short side usually).
Laser printers nearly all cause curl due to the heat generated by the fuser.
The cheaper the paper, the more curl that may occur (due to higher percentages
of clay in the paper).
You can try a more expensive paper. Or check the settings in the printer driver
for paper type, in some laser printers these settings will adjust the fuser
temperature.
Tony

Duplex Printing Art Goldford Printers 1 August 29th 07 03:13 AM
No duplex printing on LJ 8000 DN? Newshound Printers 6 January 21st 07 06:23 PM
Duplex printing Art Ford Printers 0 September 29th 06 02:09 AM
HP Duplex printing always uses 2 pages even when printing just 1 xyZed Printers 0 November 5th 04 02:55 PM
Duplex Printing Andy Baker Printers 0 July 7th 04 09:47 AM