Laptop as USB Removable Media

Old April 1st 05, 05:11 PM
Mark

Default Laptop as USB Removable Media

I don't know if this is an appropriate group for this question.

I have a laptop I take everywhere. At work I want to use my laptop for
things like photoshop, and then be able to transfer files to the
desktop. I can't install anything on the desktop at work. Both
machines run WinXP.

Is there a device that I can install on the laptop, which would allow
me to share files, by plugging a USB plug into the desktop? I am
imagining a PCMCIA card that has a cable coming out. Ideally, the
desktop would mount the share as a removable media drive just like any
USB Flash Drive would. Something not unlike this:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/firewire...usb11hosa.html

Again, I want some sort of hardware to allow by laptop to BE a USB
device, rather than to USE one. Thanks in advance.

Old April 1st 05, 05:42 PM
Peter

I don't know if this is an appropriate group for this question.

I have a laptop I take everywhere. At work I want to use my laptop for
things like photoshop, and then be able to transfer files to the
desktop. I can't install anything on the desktop at work. Both
machines run WinXP.

Is there a device that I can install on the laptop, which would allow
me to share files, by plugging a USB plug into the desktop? I am
imagining a PCMCIA card that has a cable coming out. Ideally, the
desktop would mount the share as a removable media drive just like any
USB Flash Drive would. Something not unlike this:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/firewire...usb11hosa.html

Again, I want some sort of hardware to allow by laptop to BE a USB
device, rather than to USE one. Thanks in advance.

Two solutions.
Use USB memory key to transfer files (plug/unplug) or network.
Create a network share on your laptop and pull files using desktop.

Old April 2nd 05, 07:50 PM
CWatters

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...

Again, I want some sort of hardware to allow by laptop to BE a USB
device, rather than to USE one. Thanks in advance.

Well there are USB Laplink products that connect two PC together via USB -
they have a lump in the middle that allow the two hosts to be connected.
However I think you need S/W on both ends. I think it looks like a network
connection to the system rather than a USB device but I might be wrong.

Examples:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846

http://www.mic-innovations.com/mi/de...cfm?id=USB600A

http://www.spearit.com/USB_transfer.html

A S-Video connection fried both my laptop and TV! Help needed! [email protected] General 2 March 2nd 05 06:31 PM
Troubleshooting a laptop..help!! [email protected] General 0 January 6th 05 06:08 PM
120GB WD is removable media? R. Wink Homebuilt PC's 3 September 27th 04 04:21 PM
Media for i9100 Bastet Printers 5 December 29th 03 06:55 AM
Help! Did Gateway break my laptop? Anthony Giorgianni Gateway Computers 1 August 6th 03 11:42 PM