Nero 5.5 problem with XP Home and NEC ND-3550a

Old March 28th 06, 10:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default Nero 5.5 problem with XP Home and NEC ND-3550a

I just built a new XP Home system for a friend using an NEC ND-3550a
DVD-R/CD-RW drive with a Sony CD-ROM. Both drives work fine and I can
burn to the NEC with WMC.

I installed Nero 5.5.10.56 but it doesn't see either drive when I try to
copy or burn a DVD, CD-R or CD-RW, or erase a disk. It reports "Virtual
Drive" and that's it.

Nero looks like it's going through the motions of burning but the NEC
drive light never comes on and the disks are still unused.

All I want to be able to do is copy and or compile CDs and DVDs

I don't want to go to Nero 6.6 or 7 because they are both bloatware and
have a lot of features that I don't want or need.

Is there anything that I can do to get Nero 5.5 to work with XP Home and
these drives?

I use Win98 and Win2k on my own PCs. I only have XP on several laptops.
I've been running Nero since version 4 on all of my Plextor drives
without any problems.

Chas.

Old March 28th 06, 10:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

The NEC drive is far newer than Nero 5.5, you will have to update to Nero
6.6 or later to use it. No way around this, the software must contain the
drive's ID to recognize it.

Old March 28th 06, 10:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

"Dan G" wrote in message
The NEC drive is far newer than Nero 5.5, you will have to update to

Nero
6.6 or later to use it. No way around this, the software must contain

the
drive's ID to recognize it.

That's what I was afraid of. I did a bunch of Google searches and
several people reported that 5.5 worked for them but they had already
been running a different burner in their system before upgrading to an
NEC 3550a.

Thanks,

Chas.

Old March 31st 06, 11:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

I use Nero 5.5 and have no problems with Xp, heard of people having
problems with the latest version which I do have but never tried,
whether it was Sp2 related I can't say.

The one I have was a bundled package that came with the LG burner I
also use a LG DVD drive which I use to copy the CD to the Burner.

I wonder if it's because the burner has found the drivers in Xp as
opposed to the drivers on the CD...could be entirely wrong here.

Davy