Socket A mobo??

Old April 11th 04, 02:15 AM
TANKIE

Default Socket A mobo??

I have an Athlon 1500+ chip, and need to know what motherboard/memory combo
works with this chip, and what to get that can be upgraded the highest? Also
could use some help about the generations of Athlons. This will be a home
office PC for a while so the 1500 is fine. But when I get tired of it I want to
be able to put in a fast chip, good video card and give it to my grandkids for
games

What is the fastest chip that will share a motherboard with an Athlon 1500? I
think I saw something about a 3000 speed chip. What about memory? Isn't the
Athlon 1500 a 200 speed bus while the faster chips are 333? Will I have to buy
new memory for the faster chip? What memory and mobo do I need to get that
works with both chips? Would a $30 TigerDirect work? Any advice appreciated.
Thanks.
Old April 11th 04, 04:11 AM
kony

On 11 Apr 2004 01:15:28 GMT, (TANKIE) wrote:

I have an Athlon 1500+ chip, and need to know what motherboard/memory combo
works with this chip, and what to get that can be upgraded the highest? Also
could use some help about the generations of Athlons. This will be a home
office PC for a while so the 1500 is fine. But when I get tired of it I want to
be able to put in a fast chip, good video card and give it to my grandkids for
games

What is the fastest chip that will share a motherboard with an Athlon 1500? I
think I saw something about a 3000 speed chip. What about memory? Isn't the
Athlon 1500 a 200 speed bus while the faster chips are 333? Will I have to buy
new memory for the faster chip? What memory and mobo do I need to get that
works with both chips? Would a $30 TigerDirect work? Any advice appreciated.
Thanks.

Just about any board that supports the fastest modern Socket A processors
will also support your Athlon XP1500. It uses a DDR266 (133MHz) front
side bus, and "usually" a synchronous DDR266 (133MHz) memory bus, for
which the minimum specified memory is PC2100, or a very few old
motherboards with legacy PC133 support do exist, but there would be
nothing positive about buying a board that uses PC133 memory today unless
you already had a boat-load of PC133 memory.

To support future processors you'd want to buy memory of a higher PC(nnnn)
rating now, specifically, PC3200 to support 400MHz in DDR-speak, 200MHz
memory bus clock rate.

Any current generation motherboard should suffice. For example a Via
KT600 or nForce2 Ultra (400) chipset based board.
I would advise against a Tigerdirect discount special, Tigerdirect is a
shady dealer to begin with and many of their products are junk with
deceiving specs or rebates you may never receive payment on. Better to
buy from a respected vendor like mwave.com, or better yet newegg.com.
When dealing with unknown vendors, first see
http://www.resellerratings.com , read the store reviews.
Old April 11th 04, 12:22 PM

[...]

Try Newegg.com

They have some terrific refurb specials from time to time which seem
to work well with many buyers. Ive bought two so far and they have
been great.

An Asus A7n8x model board - most or all can do 400 mhz - take the 3200
XP which seems like the top of the line of the current line.

Theres also the abit nf7 I think its called and many other cheap
nforce boards as well as the Via based chipset boards. There are some
new boards in the $50-60 range mainly biostar - which has decent
feedback - nforce2 based. Its been rebated in the past and on sale at
newegg in the $50s.

You can get refurbs in the $30-60 range but some are barebones - no
back panel , manual , drivers or cables. The funny thing is I bought a
barebones one recently - a leadtek and I got a full retail package
this time. It worked great and got decent reviews. Its a nforce board
that can do 400 mhz IF you dont use the onboard video. It already has
400 mx level video built in. If you use the video built in - it maxes
at 333. I got it for $50.

Older Socket A mobo?? TANKIE General 1 April 7th 04 03:03 AM
"Socket A" vs "Socket 478" (Amd vs Intel) Minstro General 13 March 26th 04 10:59 PM
1st time bldg a machine: Case, Mobo, CPU, RAM OK? [email protected] General 8 February 7th 04 01:49 PM
What can I do about my dead mobo? Zenobia General 3 January 5th 04 09:30 PM
How to connect front audio ports to mobo *Vanguard* General 5 December 17th 03 09:35 PM