Laptops Direct + Missing Pixels

Old October 20th 04, 08:48 AM
Gama Chameleon

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 08:31:45 +0100, Fat Freddy's Cat
wrote:

Dr Teeth wrote:
On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 12:43:20 +0100, Gama Chameleon
wrote:

Of course just below that, it also reads:

"Guarantee of no missing pixels "

NOT on the page I was looking at it didn't!

You must be related to that cerebrally challenged flamebating feline,
join him in the killfile.
--

BWahahahahahahahahhahaha
He killfiles everyone who proves him wrong! What a rich debating tactic.

You want to have a look at the Cleaning a screen thread. Currently 2
killfiled for proving his definition of paper is wrong and looking at
it about 6 pending :-)
--
Gamma gamma gamma chameleon
You come and glow, you come and glow.
Old October 20th 04, 09:29 AM
Tx2

In article , ,=20
a.k.a Johannes H Andersen says...

=20
OK, I see "Guarantee of no missing pixels"...

I'm not sure if this an apology, or an admission of being wrong in the=20
first place?

But I'm still puzzled about what you're actually paying the =A349 for.

*sigh*

It says that it's for a 'Pre delivery inspection' which is a 'Complete qu=

ality
check by our engineers'. In reality you don't need an qualified engineer =

find missing pixels, but suppose that you saved the =A349 and had it insp=

ected
instead by an independent top qualified engineer and that he found it had
1 missing pixels? Would they then replace the laptop

I doubt it, as it would (likely) then fall within manufacturers=20
guidelines. There's nothing wrong with that.

If they wouldn't, then the =A349 is for more than the inspection, it's fo=

getting a different quality level. Hence the =A349 is effectively a surch=

arge=20
on their computers.

No, it's for *ensuring* the laptop shipped has no dead pixels, and all=20
updates applicable to installed software applied. It's =A349 for a=20
different level of service, not a surcharge.=20

They sell laptops .... some of those laptops will have dead pixels. Some=20
of these will fall under manufacturer guidelines, and be perfectly=20
acceptable for sale, some will not.=20

Pay the =A349 and get one that is perfect, so as to avoid the=20
'disappointment' in getting one which is imperfect but acceptable. He=20
was buying peace of mind, instead of taking a gamble.

It really is so simple, i fail to see how you cannot understand it, or=20
even question why it exists.
Old October 20th 04, 09:47 AM
Tx2

In article ,
, a.k.a Simon Zerafa says...

I am surprised you had to pay to have all the recent XP patches installed.

Why?

Any half competent computer company / dealer should be doing this anyway.

Why?

This is something which I do as standard before shipping any PC to a
customer for free

Ah, i see. Because you do it, so should everyone else. Fair enough.
Old October 20th 04, 10:04 AM
Gama Chameleon

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:29:55 +0100, Tx2
wrote:

snip

Pay the £49 and get one that is perfect, so as to avoid the
'disappointment' in getting one which is imperfect but acceptable. He
was buying peace of mind, instead of taking a gamble.

It really is so simple, i fail to see how you cannot understand it, or
even question why it exists.

Give it a day or two and teeth will pop along and kill file you for
talking reason. :-)

It really is silly. All the details are listed on their web site.

My concern is that they will be checking laptops then ones that fail
the PDI check but acceptable will be put to side for the next person
who doesn't pay for the PDI. In effect you pay the PDI or have a much
higher chance of dead pixels that if you went elsewhere.

Of course with all the comlaining by others about £49 quid being too
high, I suspect they assume the magic packing faries unpack the
machine and re-pack it. If its anything like my old Toshiba, its like
trying to heard a pack of Red Setters into the back of a car.
Old October 20th 04, 01:50 PM
Peter Parry

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:13:43 +0100, Tx2
wrote:

There are acceptable levels of dead pixels. The payment was to guarantee
any product shipped won't have them.

Exactly my point, don't pay for this extra service and you increase
your chances of getting a machine with dead pixels compared with
buying from a supplier who doesn't do this.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Dots and Pixels measekite Printers 17 March 17th 05 10:43 PM
Direct CD on DVDs - it kind of sucks [email protected] General 0 April 15th 04 11:05 AM
Anyone know where I can buy an LCD screen with no dead pixels? Alex Vallat UK Computer Vendors 6 January 16th 04 09:24 AM
Dial up modem problem Richard Freeman General 21 September 22nd 03 05:50 AM
Dial up modem problem Richard Freeman Homebuilt PC's 21 September 22nd 03 05:50 AM