ports locked up

Old August 14th 03, 06:31 AM
Me

Default ports locked up

Hi Guys...
I am having a problem with a computer. I am running windows 200 Pro on it.
I cannot receive email from my ISP account on it. Hotmail seems to work
fine. I am using Outlook Express. I have determined that ports 25 and 110
seem to be locked up. I have disabled my firewall and antivirus ( Both
Norton) yet it still isn't working. I configured another computer on the
same netowrk and my email works on that machine. How can I determine what is
locking up these ports??
Thanks in advance

Old August 14th 03, 06:24 PM
Lawrence Stromski

Hi,

If you have Norton AntiVirus, that acts as an email proxy to scan incoming
and outgoing email. If you turn Norton off, the proxy dissapears, and you
won't be able to download any email. Outlook is told to look at Norton for
your email and not the server directly.
If you wanna test your email without Norton, you'll have to un-install it,
but otherwise, turn Norton on for email to work.

A quick test for POP (110) functionality:

Goto Start Run: type 'telnet mail.yourserver.com 110' (minus quotation
marks).

You should get a console prompt up with somthing like: "+OK QPOP (version ?)
at mail.yourserver.com starting. "

This will confirm that you are actually making a connection to your email
server ok. If you get "Connection Failed" or similar, then you are
physically being prevented from connecting to your mail server, by your ISP,
firewall, or a Windows problem.

(See http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;196748 for more
details on using Telnet to test POP Functionality.)

-Lawrence Stromski.

Old August 14th 03, 10:39 PM
John

This happened me with Nortons AV........it went into my mail accounts and
redirected my server settings to symantec.com. I think the plan is that your
mail is filtered through Symantec`s aervers, before being forwarded to you.
Eh thanks.......but no thanks.!
I cant remember the full details, but if you go to Tools,Accounts,highlight
one of your accounts and look at propertys,servers, you will find Incoming
and outgoing mail settings are changed to symantec.com rather than your ISPs
server settings.

Old August 15th 03, 12:06 AM
Lawrence Stromski

It depends which version you are using.
The new one dosn't touch your settings, it just modifies your registry to
re-direct mail through the virus scanner.
What the old one does, I don't know, you could be correct.

It wouldn't be filtered through a Symantec server anyway, that would most
likely be an alias for the local virus scanner, which is actually a very
sensible idea, since it puts a "DMZ" between the outside world and your
inbox.

-Lawrence.

Ports problem???? John General 6 August 14th 03 04:32 AM
Mapping Ports, serial / USB ChrisJ9876 General 3 August 2nd 03 04:02 PM
Adding ten or so serial ports? Paul Hutchings General 4 July 23rd 03 08:54 AM
What cases have USB, Sound and 1394 ports on its front panel? profiled General 2 July 16th 03 01:16 PM
Too many USB ports? Ben Fullerton General 0 June 25th 03 01:16 AM