canon i850

Old July 3rd 03, 05:39 AM
Megan Mansfield

Default canon i850

Hi, I'm looking for a good all round printer, good speed and will do a good
job on photos for a reasonable price. The canon i850 looks like the winner
so far. I like the individual ink tanks. I know it's only 3 colour and black
but I've been assured the 2 picolitre application gives excellent
definition. I would welcome comments re this printer. What is the text only
printing on normal paper like? The only demo prints I've seen are on high
quality paper.
Thanks
Sandy

Old July 3rd 03, 05:55 AM
Taliesyn

Megan Mansfield wrote:
Hi, I'm looking for a good all round printer, good speed and will do a good
job on photos for a reasonable price. The canon i850 looks like the winner
so far. I like the individual ink tanks. I know it's only 3 colour and black
but I've been assured the 2 picolitre application gives excellent
definition. I would welcome comments re this printer. What is the text only
printing on normal paper like? The only demo prints I've seen are on high
quality paper.
Thanks
Sandy

While a few have been getting mixed results, I have found that it
prints equally good on any kind of plain paper. I have even used
cheap, thin dollar store paper with no loss of quality. In general,
the text is very laser-like with sharp, crisp letters. This is by
far the best text quality I have gotten from any inkjet. And I haven't
noticed any dropoff in quality since I began using generic bulk ink.

Great job with photos too.

-Taliesyn

Old July 3rd 03, 07:15 AM
John Mills

I just turned in an S750 (printhead finally went bad after 15,000 pages)
under the Best Buy extended warranty and got the i850.

It has all of the advantages of the S750 (speed, cost to run, plain paper
printing),
but exceeds the S750 easily with the 2 pl photo mode (simulates 6-colors),
very quiet, and slightly faster.

The photo printing is comparable to an S900 (but not the i950). I use
it a lot in plain paper mode and find the Hammermill color copy paper
(28 lb) and excellent plain paper stock, although I'm going to try out
the Wasau color copy paper based on a customer's recommendations.

--
John Mills ( )
*comp.periphs.printers FAQ Archive

"Megan Mansfield" wrote in message
: Hi, I'm looking for a good all round printer, good speed and will do a
good
: job on photos for a reasonable price. The canon i850 looks like the winner
: so far. I like the individual ink tanks. I know it's only 3 colour and
black
: but I've been assured the 2 picolitre application gives excellent
: definition. I would welcome comments re this printer. What is the text
only
: printing on normal paper like? The only demo prints I've seen are on high
: quality paper.
: Thanks
: Sandy
:
:

Old July 4th 03, 10:56 AM
Megan Mansfield

Thanks to all who replied for the advice. I've ordered the i850 and await
delivery. A scan of the news group, as suggested, shows many good comments
on this printer and helped me make up my mind. What a great news group!!
"Megan Mansfield" wrote in message
Hi, I'm looking for a good all round printer, good speed and will do a

good
job on photos for a reasonable price. The canon i850 looks like the winner
so far. I like the individual ink tanks. I know it's only 3 colour and

black
but I've been assured the 2 picolitre application gives excellent
definition. I would welcome comments re this printer. What is the text

only
printing on normal paper like? The only demo prints I've seen are on high
quality paper.
Thanks
Sandy

Canon i850 does not do borderless 5x7 Taliesyn Printers 2 July 4th 03 05:38 PM
Canon i950 vs i850 question camry Printers 2 July 2nd 03 06:35 PM
UK Best price on a canon i850? Lowestoft Printers 1 July 2nd 03 06:24 PM
Canon i850 & i950 Larry Printers 0 June 29th 03 11:00 PM
Canon i850 price update Charlie Printers 5 June 28th 03 10:57 AM