Dimension XPS T series Upgrade to XP

Old December 15th 03, 01:24 AM
Compulady

Default Dimension XPS T series Upgrade to XP

My friend has a Dell Dimension XPS T600 with Intel P3 600 MHz, Win 98SE,
128MB
RAM, etc. I would like to upgrade her computer to Windows XP Home.

On Dell's website (http://support.dell.com/us/en/advisor/) the
information on my system is: "While this Dell system may comply with
Microsoft hardware requirements it may not provide the best customer
experience with Windows XP, as its BIOS & drivers will not support
Windows XP to Dell's testing standards. Dell will not be creating
another BIOS or Drivers to support this operating system. If you are
interested in running Windows XP, Dell recommends that you upgrade to a
new system designed for performance and compatibility with the Windows
XP operating system."

Has anyone had any recent experience upgrading this system to XP Home with
the latest patches? Any problems?

I will upgrade her to 384 MB of memory. I'm trying to figure out if the is
PC100 non-ECC ram. Anyone have recommendations for upgrading memory on this
computer? Normally I would order from Crucial but she has a discount coupon
from Staples. Any compatibility issues with PNY ram?

This computer has a 32 MB Diamond Viper video card. Any issues with XP?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Old December 15th 03, 01:38 AM
Shiranui Gen-An

"Compulady" wrote in message
. net...
My friend has a Dell Dimension XPS T600 with Intel P3 600 MHz, Win 98SE,
128MB
RAM, etc. I would like to upgrade her computer to Windows XP Home.

On Dell's website (http://support.dell.com/us/en/advisor/) the
information on my system is: "While this Dell system may comply with
Microsoft hardware requirements it may not provide the best customer
experience with Windows XP, as its BIOS & drivers will not support
Windows XP to Dell's testing standards. Dell will not be creating
another BIOS or Drivers to support this operating system. If you are
interested in running Windows XP, Dell recommends that you upgrade to a
new system designed for performance and compatibility with the Windows
XP operating system."

Has anyone had any recent experience upgrading this system to XP Home with
the latest patches? Any problems?

I have an XPS T500. Every OS I've thrown at it has run fairly well (2000
Pro, XP Home, XP Pro, 2000 Adv Server, 2003 Enterprise Server). Go for it.

I will upgrade her to 384 MB of memory. I'm trying to figure out if the

is
PC100 non-ECC ram. Anyone have recommendations for upgrading memory on

this
computer? Normally I would order from Crucial but she has a discount

coupon
from Staples. Any compatibility issues with PNY ram?

I don't know about PNY RAM, but I wouldn't worry about ECC or non-ECC. If
the existing memory is ECC and you install non-ECC the ECC function will
simply be disabled but it will run.

This computer has a 32 MB Diamond Viper video card. Any issues with XP?

This one I can't help you with. It's possible XP has built in drivers for
it; if not I imagine it will run in 640x480 8-bit color mode =/

Thank you in advance for your input.

Old December 15th 03, 02:05 AM
Eugene

Compulady wrote:

[...]

PNY has always been good memory, just not as popular as crucial currently.
A desktop pc like a Dimensioin won't use ECC so the memory having or not
having ECC won;t make a difference. 384M will still be a bit low for XP
unless she only runs a window or two of IE and nothing else. Try running
office apps and after a couple hours it will be swapping a lot.

Old December 15th 03, 02:35 AM
Bob Levine

Compulady wrote:

My friend has a Dell Dimension XPS T600 with Intel P3 600 MHz, Win 98SE,
128MB
RAM, etc. I would like to upgrade her computer to Windows XP Home.

On Dell's website (http://support.dell.com/us/en/advisor/) the
information on my system is: "While this Dell system may comply with
Microsoft hardware requirements it may not provide the best customer
experience with Windows XP, as its BIOS & drivers will not support
Windows XP to Dell's testing standards. Dell will not be creating
another BIOS or Drivers to support this operating system. If you are
interested in running Windows XP, Dell recommends that you upgrade to a
new system designed for performance and compatibility with the Windows
XP operating system."

IOW, don't upgrade, buy a new machine...from us.

Has anyone had any recent experience upgrading this system to XP Home with
the latest patches? Any problems?

Should run fine. But please don't do an upgrade. XP should be installed
clean.

I will upgrade her to 384 MB of memory. I'm trying to figure out if the is
PC100 non-ECC ram. Anyone have recommendations for upgrading memory on this
computer? Normally I would order from Crucial but she has a discount coupon
from Staples. Any compatibility issues with PNY ram?

PNY should be fine, but make sure it's returnable if it's not correct.
You're actually better off with non-ECC RAM, it's faster.

This computer has a 32 MB Diamond Viper video card. Any issues with XP?

Check Diamond's website.

Bob

Old December 15th 03, 02:50 AM
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

Compulady wrote:
[...]

The XPS-T will run XP with out any compatibility problems. I have two XPS-T
(1 at 450MHz the other at 1GHz)

Go to www.crucial.com and use their memory selector to select the proper
memory for the mobo.

Can't remember if the viper is a NVidia TNT card but if it is you can use
the latest drivers on NVidia's website.

--

Rob

Old December 15th 03, 04:35 AM
Christopher Muto

the system accepts pc100 up to 256mb per module and accepts three modules.
i suggest that you stick with 128mb generic modules marked pc100. when you
get larger capacity modules they can be of a high density type that are
incompatible with this system. also, many marked "pc133 only" are these
high density type (meaning they are not backwards compatible to pc100). i
find most rebates are only good for "one per household" so what you think is
a rebate bargain may just be a disappointment. and pny in my experience pny
only pays out about 33% of the time and they are the one company that i
have never been able to get to make good on their rebate promises. flash
the system with the latest available bios and be sure you have at least a
10gb hard disk drive before you begin... and do overwrite the existing
installation of windows (not upgrade) and follow up by installing all of the
critical updates and you will have a nice stable system as a result.

. net...

Old December 15th 03, 07:27 AM
Rich Cervenka

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 01:24:48 GMT, "Compulady"
wrote:

My friend has a Dell Dimension XPS T600 with Intel P3 600 MHz, Win 98SE,
128MB RAM, etc. I would like to upgrade her computer to Windows XP Home.

snip

Has anyone had any recent experience upgrading this system to XP Home with
the latest patches? Any problems?

I use a Dell Dimension XPS T550 (550MHz) and Windows XP Home Edition
works flawlessly on it.

I will upgrade her to 384 MB of memory. I'm trying to figure out if the is
PC100 non-ECC ram. Anyone have recommendations for upgrading memory on this
computer? Normally I would order from Crucial but she has a discount coupon
from Staples. Any compatibility issues with PNY ram?

I upgraded to 640MB of memory from Crucial but PNY's should work just
as well.

This computer has a 32 MB Diamond Viper video card. Any issues with XP?

That's the video card that I have in my system. It is a TNT2 card that
is nVidia compatible, so it will not be a problem.

The bottom line is that the system will run Windows XP just fine.

Happy Holidays!
--
Rich Cervenka
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Old December 15th 03, 10:01 AM
Hank Arnold

Of course they should worry about ECC/non-ECC. ECC cost more $'s.... Just
use the Crucial web site and it will tell you what you need to do...

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"Shiranui Gen-An" wrote in
message .. .

. net...

Old December 15th 03, 03:50 PM
Shiranui Gen-An

"Hank Arnold" wrote in message
.net...
Of course they should worry about ECC/non-ECC. ECC cost more $'s.... Just
use the Crucial web site and it will tell you what you need to do...

I meant to say he shouldn't worry if the existing RAM is ECC as he can add
non-ECC without causing any problems.

Old December 15th 03, 04:46 PM
Frank Fussenegger

I had a Dimension XPS B1000r and it was only 1 1/2 years since I
bought it as their top-end PC, and I still had 1 1/2 years on my
three-year warrantee. They gave me the same "you are on your own, we
will not support it" story when I wanted to upgrade to Windows XP. I
will never buy another Dell because of their lack of support. I would
take their advice, buy a new non-Dell system and never look back.

[...]

Presario 1260 bios upgrade (was: Upgrade to Win 2k or XP fails/hangs) Tom Garcia Compaq Computers 2 July 26th 04 02:51 PM
Need advice on box upgrade ur_droll Overclocking AMD Processors 17 June 11th 04 06:50 AM
upgrade Hard Bastard Nvidia Videocards 3 June 10th 04 05:14 AM
Upgrade Report [Hardware Tips: Get the Right Hard Drive - 05/11/2004] Ablang General 0 May 16th 04 03:17 AM
Persario 5002 US Upgrade to XP Home Tate Jackson Compaq Computers 10 February 10th 04 11:41 AM