new driver for TNT1 w/TV Out ?

Old May 17th 04, 03:38 PM
Travis

Default new driver for TNT1 w/TV Out ?

'Sorry if this is a repeat, but I've made two other posts that
have yet to be displayed on this group (although replies to other
posters *have* been displayed (?)

Can anyone recommend a later-than-1998 Win98-SE driver for a STB
Velocity 4400 with TV Out (Riva 128, Nvidia TNT1) that actually
*supports* TV Out?

I have the "Detonator" series, none of which supported TV Out
(although Detonator 3 has a nice selector for format to let you
choose "Composite" or "S-Video" TV Out -- it just won't switch to
either). The latest of these drivers, Detonator 3, is dated
9-20-00.

I'm moving an old machine downstairs to display on the TV and
even though great beauty is not expected, text function could
sure be improved.

Many thanks,

Travis

Old May 17th 04, 09:56 PM
Bora Ugurlu

Travis wrote:

'Sorry if this is a repeat, but I've made two other posts that
have yet to be displayed on this group (although replies to other
posters *have* been displayed (?)

Try Linux and nvtv.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/nv-tv-out/
Old May 18th 04, 09:59 PM
Travis

Thanks for the reply, but the link you have here seems to be for
for Linux only. Is there nothing for Windows 98SE, or do Linux
drivers apply without a hitch? (My ignorance is showing.)

Many Thanks!

Old June 5th 04, 09:42 PM
First of One

Even the most recent Detonator (or "ForceWare" if you follow nVidia's
marketing) supports TNT1. I think Detonator 3 is three or four generations
old. The newest ones have improved TV-out and dual-monitor support, so they
are worth a try.

Oh, and make sure you have a TV connected before booting up your PC. Some
driver versions need to see a 75-ohm load on the S-video port or the "TV"
option will be grayed out.

Old June 6th 04, 06:16 PM
default

The latest Forceware drivers from nVidia work fine with TNT1's if you add
their missing pci id line and card name back into the inf file before
installing. This is true for Win9x, NT4, 2K-XP. This is easy to do and
keeps your old card fresh with driver interface features. The 56.56 and
56.72 drivers have a shutdown issue with AT (nonATX) systems, but the others
seem to be ok.

The current Forceware 61.21 drivers from Guru3D for XP have these lines in
the inf file and work pretty good with the TNT1 (NV4). For TV out, you are
right that a 75ohm load is needed on the TV output for the driver to enable
it. TVTool still works to get a few more output settings as well.

ogers.com...

Old June 7th 04, 10:09 PM
Travis

Dear Default,

Help! This is exactly what happened to me, and "First of One"
hasn't responded yet.

I went to the Nvidia site and finally found "Forceware" Version:
45.23, for Win98, Release Date: August 13, 2003 filename:
45.23_win9x_english.exe -- and I got all the PDF they had with
it.

About halfway through install, I got an error message "Setup was
unable to locate a detected device's PCI ID in nvagp.inf.
Installation will be terminated."

I went into the nvagp.inf file and there are plenty of references
to NV4*, but my card still wasn't recognized, and I wouldn't know
where to begin adding back the proper "missing pci id line and
card name" you refer to!

(*sample line from nvagp.inf:
%NVIDIA&DEV_002C.DeviceDesc% = NV4, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_002C)

How do I edit the file to include my TNT1? (Again, it's a a STB
Velocity 4400 with TV Out (Riva 128)

I have the 56.72 drivers you refer to, but haven't messed with
them. I have a a Soyo SY-6BA motherboard in that system. I don't
know if that's "nonATX" or not.) I'd try the Forceware 61.21
drivers from Guru3D you mention, but this system is Win98-SE.

Many thanks!

Travis

Old June 8th 04, 03:15 AM
default

The current Win95,98,SE,ME driver is 56.64.

To add NV4 (TNT1) support, two additional lines are needed in the .inf file
before running setup.

first scroll down to the section:
[Mfg]
%NVIDIA&DEV_0020.DeviceDesc% = NV4, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0020
%NVIDIA&DEV_0028.DeviceDesc% = NV5, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0028

insert the line shown above (the = NV4 line).

then scroll down near the end to
[Strings]
Disk1Name="NVIDIA Compatible Display Driver Disk 1"
Disk2Name="NVIDIA Compatible Display Driver Disk 2"
Disk3Name="NVIDIA Compatible Display Driver Disk 3"
Disk4Name="NVIDIA Compatible Display Driver Disk 4"
Disk5Name="NVIDIA Compatible Display Driver Disk 5"
Disk6Name="NVIDIA Compatible Display Driver Disk 6"
NVIDIA&DEV_0020.DeviceDesc="NVIDIA RIVA TNT"
NVIDIA&DEV_0028.DeviceDesc="NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro"

And add in the Riva TNT line above as shown.

Now when you rerun setup, your TNT1 card will be supported and work well.

I have used this driver in 8 different systems here with Diamond Viper V550
AGP and PCI cards with great results so far.

For Windows 2000/XP the process is similiar.

Good luck with it.

Old June 8th 04, 07:17 AM
Travis

Dear Default,

Wow, thanks for the speedy reply! And I really appreciate your
expertise here.

You got it dead right on editing the inf file. The install
proceeded perfectly.

Alas, however, nothing came out the composite output, and I can't
try the S-Video output until I get this Pentium2 downstairs to
the new flat panel TV. Right now it's feeding an older Sony TV up
in my office with just composite in. I would expect both to be
active, though.

As critically, even running to its 17" CRT monitor, the P2 with
the 45.23 drivers it won't run three of the six legacy flight
sims I collected in the late '90s -- a collection that stopped
with DirectX6. Maybe Nvidia's 45.23_win9x_english.exe doesn't
want to run this old stuff to TV *or* VGA.

But -- you mention "The current Win95,98,SE,ME driver is 56.64."

What and where would that be? Nvidia seems to stop at the 45.23
(in XP and 98 flavors) you helped me to edit. I managed to find a
"60.86_9x_MR.exe" at Guru3D, which you also mentioned. (They had
an XP version as well.) But "56.64" I don't recognize from my
travels. Can you direct me?

Of course, and again, it may be that expecting updated drivers to
run DX6-era flight sims is expecting too much? I defer to you.
I'm happy to try anything while I'm configuring this old system
across the room from my new Dell, and before I get someone to get
it downstairs for me for the big showdown. (I'm disabled with
arthritis and don't do much heavy lifting.)

Many thanks again,

Travis

Old June 8th 04, 08:10 AM
default

My TNT cards can run with the TV output on or the VGA output, not both at
the same time. You may be able to use TVTool to change this, but the normal
driver function is one or the other with these cards.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_56.64
or full the full fileset by ftp:
ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/56.64/

is where to get the 56.64 driver. You will need to edit the .inf file in
the same way. You may want to install DirectX 9.0b if you haven't already.

Only certain video modes can be represented on the TV output. You didn't
say which flight-sims don't work or what the error messages were. There is
probably a solution but you will have to look deeper to find it. I have
used mine with Microsoft FlightSim 95, 98, 2000, 2002. TV's really don't
make good computer monitors however anyway.

Old June 8th 04, 04:27 PM
Travis

Travis Charbeneau 3421 Hanover Ave., Richmond, VA 23221
phone: 804 358 0417
www.richmonder.com/charbeneau

Hi, Default,

Thanks again for the speedy reply! I'm sorry if I mis-wrote: my
TNT also runs just one or the other -- TV or VGA monitor. But
with the 45.23 drivers at any rate, it refused to switch to the
TV at all -- both screens went black and, after the requisite 15
seconds, the VGA came back on. Again, this was running the
composite out. I don't expect S-Video would be any different,
but I may give it a try when I get the beast downstairs and
properly plugged into an S-Video input.

As for the games refusing to display even on the VGA, where 45.23
properly displayed Desktop, IE6, etc., there were no error
messages. Red Baron 3D works, running in DirectDraw (I sob for my
pair of Voodoo2s SLI sitting useless now in the motherboard. No
TV out for them.) On Microprose European Air War, audio came on,
the screen went black, and only subtitles were shown,
accumulating on top of one another until I escaped to the main
game screen (which invariably displays, even if the game sequence
itself doesn't). I could quit from there. Jane's WW2 Fighters
gave no audio, screen went white, then blue. I was able to Alt-F4
to freedom from that. Jane's USAF never loaded past its
"Initializing" screen, locked and required a cold boot/reset.

As you say, TVs don't make good PC monitors, and I may be looking
for improvements that just can't be had. The TV downstairs is a
42" HDTV (Sony LCD projection), which will most likely only make
the 800X600 max output of the TNT look worse than it does on the
27" CRT Sony I'm working with at present -- unless the S-Video
makes some sort of dramatic impact.

Failing a new video card (and I'm still paying for the new
computer that replaced the Pentium2 with the TNT), true beauty is
not to be expected. And a new card might well demand DirectX9,
which is not uninstallable for Win98, in so far as I have
researched it. (Again, currently I'm running DX6 on the old
machine. I know MS claims backward compatibility on DirectX, but
if it messes the sims, or freaks the equally old Montego II sound
card, -- visions of re-installing Win98-SE loom, etc.)

I suppose if you want to run legacy sims you need a legacy
system, like the good old Mattel "Intellivision" sitting wrapped
in plastic down in the basement. Nonetheless, I'll try the 56.64
drivers. One never knows.

In any case, I really appreciate your informed feedback on this
quest. You've been more than generous. If you want to know how
the quest ended, please send me your email address to mine above?

Many thanks in any case,

Travis