P2B Bios 1014.003 problem

Old June 3rd 04, 05:20 AM
Xplorer

Default P2B Bios 1014.003 problem

After I updated the bios the password protection hasn't been working. I can
no longer password protect the bios menu and the pc. Is there a fix to this?

Thanks!

Xplorer

http://www.usenet.com
Old June 3rd 04, 06:14 AM
P2B

Xplorer wrote:

After I updated the bios the password protection hasn't been working. I can
no longer password protect the bios menu and the pc. Is there a fix to this?

BIOS password protection has always worked as expected here - and I have
updated numerous P2B series boards to 1014b3.

After flashing the new BIOS, you loaded defaults, then reassigned both
passwords - yet it still boots and allows BIOS access without requiring
a password?

P2B

Old June 3rd 04, 01:41 PM
xplorer

P2B wrote in message om...
Xplorer wrote:

After I updated the bios the password protection hasn't been working. I can
no longer password protect the bios menu and the pc. Is there a fix to this?

BIOS password protection has always worked as expected here - and I have
updated numerous P2B series boards to 1014b3.

After flashing the new BIOS, you loaded defaults, then reassigned both
passwords - yet it still boots and allows BIOS access without requiring
a password?

P2B

Yes to all your questions. Even if I assign passwords, save settings
and exit, I don't get any password prompt box the next time I boot up
or enter the bios menu.
Other than this, the bios update works ok.

Xplorer
Old June 4th 04, 01:36 AM
P2B

xplorer wrote:
P2B wrote in message om...

Xplorer wrote:

After I updated the bios the password protection hasn't been working. I can
no longer password protect the bios menu and the pc. Is there a fix to this?

BIOS password protection has always worked as expected here - and I have
updated numerous P2B series boards to 1014b3.

After flashing the new BIOS, you loaded defaults, then reassigned both
passwords - yet it still boots and allows BIOS access without requiring
a password?

P2B

Yes to all your questions. Even if I assign passwords, save settings
and exit, I don't get any password prompt box the next time I boot up
or enter the bios menu.
Other than this, the bios update works ok.

Xplorer

Beats me, I can't reproduce that behavior. Perhaps clearing CMOS would
fix it.

P2B

Old June 4th 04, 02:54 AM
xplorer

P2B wrote in message om...
Xplorer wrote:

After I updated the bios the password protection hasn't been working. I can
no longer password protect the bios menu and the pc. Is there a fix to this?

BIOS password protection has always worked as expected here - and I have
updated numerous P2B series boards to 1014b3.

After flashing the new BIOS, you loaded defaults, then reassigned both
passwords - yet it still boots and allows BIOS access without requiring
a password?

P2B

Please teach me how to clear CMOS. Do i need to open the pc case?

Frankie
Old June 4th 04, 06:09 AM
Tip

Please teach me how to clear CMOS. Do i need to open the pc case?

Frankie

Yes you have to open the case to clear CMOS. If you have the motherboard
manual, there should be a jumper you can change to clear it. If you can find
the type and model of the motherboard you probably can find the manual
online.

A neat trick I've used a couple times.
Unplug power cord from case. Open the case. Take out the ram. Plug power
back in. Reboot and get error beeps from having no ram. Unplug power, put
ram in, plug in the power and reboot. The CMOS is set back to default and I
didn't have to hunt for the manual or do any research.
:-)
--
Tip
www.gotips.net