Q: A7N8X Deluxe-E and Configuring SATA RAID

Old April 22nd 04, 08:17 AM
Eyman

Default Q: A7N8X Deluxe-E and Configuring SATA RAID

Hi,

Ive got an A7N8X Deluxe-E motherboard with a 74Gb Western Digital Raptor
drive running windows XP.

I have recently bought another exact raptor and would like to use the two
running RAID 0.

Both are connected correctly and I have created a striped RAID set under the
RAID bios settings. Both drives are recognised by the bios and RAID bios.

I get the following errors

Verifying DMI Pool
Nvidia boot agent
PXE-E61: media test failed, check cable
PXE-M01: exiting nvidia boot agent
Disk boot failure, invalid system disk, press enter to exit.

Luckily I was able to delete the RAID set and restore my system from a ghost
backup.

My question is, does creating a RAID set delete existing data on the drives?

Also if so, is there any way to create the RAID set and restore the backup
to the new RAID set from ghost?

Sorry about all the questions as Im new to this.

Thanks in advance.

Eyman

Old April 22nd 04, 08:42 AM
Nom

Eyman wrote:
Hi,

Ive got an A7N8X Deluxe-E motherboard with a 74Gb Western Digital
Raptor drive running windows XP.

I have recently bought another exact raptor and would like to use the
two running RAID 0.

Both are connected correctly and I have created a striped RAID set
under the RAID bios settings. Both drives are recognised by the bios
and RAID bios.

I get the following errors

Verifying DMI Pool
Nvidia boot agent
PXE-E61: media test failed, check cable
PXE-M01: exiting nvidia boot agent
Disk boot failure, invalid system disk, press enter to exit.

You have to install Windows on your new RAID set, otherwise there is nothing
to boot !

My question is, does creating a RAID set delete existing data on the
drives?

Yep.

Also if so, is there any way to create the RAID set and restore the
backup to the new RAID set from ghost?

Yep - just do as you say. Make the RAID set, and then restore your Ghost
image to it.

Old April 22nd 04, 08:57 AM
Ben Pope

Eyman wrote:
Hi,

Ive got an A7N8X Deluxe-E motherboard with a 74Gb Western Digital Raptor
drive running windows XP.

I have recently bought another exact raptor and would like to use the two
running RAID 0.

Both are connected correctly and I have created a striped RAID set under
the RAID bios settings. Both drives are recognised by the bios and RAID
bios.

I get the following errors

Verifying DMI Pool
Nvidia boot agent
PXE-E61: media test failed, check cable
PXE-M01: exiting nvidia boot agent

Well thats your network card.

Disk boot failure, invalid system disk, press enter to exit.

Did you set the RAID partition active? I suspect that you partitioned the
drive but did not set it active, which allows it to boot.

Luckily I was able to delete the RAID set and restore my system from a
ghost backup.

My question is, does creating a RAID set delete existing data on the
drives?

Changing the partition will, yes. RAID 0 requires a new partition to extend
across both drives. RAID 1, will not.

Also if so, is there any way to create the RAID set and restore the backup
to the new RAID set from ghost?

Yeah, you should be able to create teh RAID set, set the (new, extended)
partition active, then restore your ghost image and reboot.

Ben

Old April 22nd 04, 12:12 PM
Doug Ramage

--

Ben, I have 2 SATA drives - non Raid.

Are you saying I could clone, with Ghost, the SATA drive with my OS and apps
on it to (say) a PATA drive, then set up a RAID-0 array, then clone or
restore an image file (assuming I had created one) the PATA back to the
Raided SATA drives?

Obviously, I am trying to avoid re-installing Windows XP and all my apps.
--
Doug Ramage

Old April 22nd 04, 01:48 PM
Nom

Doug Ramage wrote:
Ben, I have 2 SATA drives - non Raid.

Are you saying I could clone, with Ghost, the SATA drive with my OS
and apps on it to (say) a PATA drive, then set up a RAID-0 array,
then clone or restore an image file (assuming I had created one) the
PATA back to the Raided SATA drives?

Obviously, I am trying to avoid re-installing Windows XP and all my
apps.

That's exactly what you can do - I did the same.

Old April 22nd 04, 03:54 PM
Doug Ramage

"Nom" wrote in message
Doug Ramage wrote:
Ben, I have 2 SATA drives - non Raid.

Are you saying I could clone, with Ghost, the SATA drive with my OS
and apps on it to (say) a PATA drive, then set up a RAID-0 array,
then clone or restore an image file (assuming I had created one) the
PATA back to the Raided SATA drives?

Obviously, I am trying to avoid re-installing Windows XP and all my
apps.

That's exactly what you can do - I did the same.

Great! Thanks, Nom.

Did you restore from an image file, or from a cloned drive?

Did you notice much of a speed improvement?
--
Doug Ramage

Old April 22nd 04, 04:24 PM
Natéag

If you « repair » your present installation, you won't have
to reinstall your apps.

Windows, yes, but it will be pretty automatic.

Old April 23rd 04, 08:58 AM
Nom

Doug Ramage wrote:
"Nom" wrote in message
Doug Ramage wrote:
Ben, I have 2 SATA drives - non Raid.

Are you saying I could clone, with Ghost, the SATA drive with my OS
and apps on it to (say) a PATA drive, then set up a RAID-0 array,
then clone or restore an image file (assuming I had created one) the
PATA back to the Raided SATA drives?

Obviously, I am trying to avoid re-installing Windows XP and all my
apps.

That's exactly what you can do - I did the same.

Great! Thanks, Nom.

Did you restore from an image file, or from a cloned drive?

It makes no difference.

If you go for the RAID array, you need to periodically take the image file
again. RAID0 without a backup, is loonacy

Did you notice much of a speed improvement?

Yeah, a little. But there's no reason not to do it really - you've got
nothing to loose, and everything to gain
Just be sure to backup your data every so often.

Old April 23rd 04, 08:59 AM
Nom

Natéag wrote:
If you « repair » your present installation, you won't have
to reinstall your apps.

Windows, yes, but it will be pretty automatic.

He won't need to do do that, as he's keeping the same drive controller. He's
talking about SiL3112 non-RAID to SiL3112 RAID.