Dim 8300 & printing

Old October 12th 10, 08:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bruce Varney

Default Dim 8300 & printing

I have come up against a problem that sometimes occurs when printing. I
have a Dimension 8300 running Win & Pro with 2 Gb ram 1Tb Hard drive Epson
1290 A3 printer.

Sometimes not always when the printer is about two thirds of the way through
printing it finishes printing and ejects that paper.

I have done a Google search on the matter and I found two suggestions: -
a) Increase the page file size which I have done
&
b) In Printers & Faxes set it to 'Print directly to the printer'

The problem is still there..

Any suggestions please?

Bruce.

Old October 12th 10, 10:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

Sometimes not always when the printer is about two thirds of
the way through printing it finishes printing and ejects that
paper.

Is there anything in particular about the print jobs that it doesn't
seem to like...a particular application's output, complexity of the
print job, color vs. black and white printing...anything that would
make these failures unique?

In what mode is your parallel port operating? Dell's parallel ports
default to the "PS/2" mode of operation, which supports somewhat
bidirectional communications. I would switch the port to the ECP mode
in the BIOS setup utility.

Your computer may be running out of real or virtual memory. Print jobs
are usually spooled to massively huge files containing bitmap data and
the print processor/spooler may simply be running out of memory. This
should only happen if you are printing large graphics or complex
documents.

It's distantly possible that your printer is having a mechanical
problem. If the motor and belt that drive the print head isn't moving
smoothly and it slips far enough out of tolerance, the printer may
simply stall and give up. (HP printers typically make a nasty noise
when this happens. Most others just stop cold.) Proving this may be
difficult, but choosing a faster or "draft" printing mode may force
the problem to appear.

William
Old October 13th 10, 09:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bruce Varney

"William R. Walsh" wrote in message
Hi!

[...]

Thank you for your reply William.

Re your first question, there does not seem to be a common denominator, the
printer has done it with colour & black & white using just the black ink
cartridge. It has happened printing to A3, A4, A5 10x15cm.

Re second question I should have stated that I am using the USB port and the
latest printer driver from Epson.

Re third question, I always print from CS3 and I do not have any other
programs running. As I said I have increased the page file and it is set
to maximum. Is this not the same as virtual memory? Admittedly I haven't
tried printing from any other program to see if the fault occurs.

The mechanics of the printer are Ok. I know this because when I print the
same file from another PC running XP the problem does no occur and again I
have the page file set to maximum and in Printers & Faxes set to 'Print
directly to printer'. The XP PC has 2Gb memory, latest driver etc etc.

Bruce....

Old October 14th 10, 04:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

Re third question, I always print from CS3 and I do not have any other
programs running. * As I said I have increased the page file and it is
set to maximum. * Is this not the same as virtual memory?

In Windows, the paging file and virtual memory are one in the same
thing. However...not every program or situation can make use of the
paging file when real memory runs out. The paging file is really
intended for idle programs and whatever they may have loaded in memory
as opposed to actively running software.

Admittedly I haven't tried printing from any other program to see
if the fault occurs.

I think you might want to do that. It could provide another data
point. Asking in comp.periphs.printers may also help.

The mechanics of the printer are Ok. * I know this because when I print
the same file from another PC running XP the problem does no occur
and again I have the page file set to maximum and in Printers &
Faxes set to 'Print directly to printer'. * The XP PC has 2Gb memory,
latest driver etc etc.

That's no guarantee. A printer whose mechanical stability is on the
edge may well get through a job one time and not another. I've seen it
happen! Usually, though, you'll hear something that sounds out of
place if you listen to the printing process carefully...a twang, pop,
clunk or some similar noise in the event of a toothed belt slipping.
It may not even be very loud.

I don't know that choosing "print directly to printer" is the best
option, as this may bypass the Windows print spooler. The spooler will
piecemeal the data out to the printer, and may stop a buffer/memory
overrun from taking place at the printer. This could kill your print
job as well, as most printers just stall out when their memory runs
out in the middle of a job. Inkjet printers don't usually need much
memory, as they only have to deal with line-by-line output as opposed
to a laser, which must process a page at a time.

You may wish to try another USB port, if you haven't already. Based on
the age of this printer, I thought it might be parallel only.

William
Old October 15th 10, 05:25 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

On 10/12/2010 3:46 PM, Bruce Varney wrote:
I have come up against a problem that sometimes occurs when printing. I
have a Dimension 8300 running Win& Pro with 2 Gb ram 1Tb Hard drive Epson
1290 A3 printer.

Sometimes not always when the printer is about two thirds of the way through
printing it finishes printing and ejects that paper.

I have done a Google search on the matter and I found two suggestions: -
a) Increase the page file size which I have done
&
b) In Printers& Faxes set it to 'Print directly to the printer'

The problem is still there..

Any suggestions please?

Bruce.

My guess is that the print job somehow exceeds the capacity of whatever
memory is in the printer. I have seen this many times over with laser
printers, but not with inkjets. However, the world is changing, and
inkjets are getting their own memory now too. The symptom you describe
is EXACTLY what happens when a print job exceeds the memory capacity of
a laser printer.

If it is possible to change the resolution of printing, retry the same
print job with a lower resolution of printing. The result will be less
than optimal, but this is a good test. If the entire print job prints,
then it is time to find a workaround solution:

1. Can you add memory to the 1290?
2. Can you print the photo with software other than CS3? Adobe products
are notable for their complexity and for the complexity of the print
jobs they create.
3. Does the 1290 support PostScript? If so, give it a try.

.... Ben Myers
Old October 15th 10, 03:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 00:25:40 -0400, Ben Myers
wrote:

[...]

I agree with you. As I recall reading some of this thread, he said
it didn't always happen so that makes me think of a situation where he
exceeds the memory capacity (buffer) maybe on just the larger files
but to be honest, I didn't think it would stop but rather just print
slower. When I got my laserjet, I was able to max out the memory for
$10 so I did. I can't say if it helped but its fast over the
wireless network regardless. I read that on a server, best to max
out printer memory. Getting back to the OP, he could also have a bad
setting. Kinda hard for me to say without knowing more.
Old October 15th 10, 05:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

William,

I can't speak with knowledge about other lines of printers, but the
memory in both HP's PCL and PostScript (and an NEC PostScript printer
long ago) serves two purposes. The obvious one is use of memory to
build a bitmap of the page image to be printed. The less obvious one is
that printer control languages are very much programmable languages just
like C, Java etc. As such, they have the capability to use nested and
even recursive commands (instructions) to feed data into the printer's
page bitmap. The command themselves also get stored in the memory of
the printer. Some of the sets of commands are extremely complex,
resulting in the memory filling up with commands still to be executed.
When memory fills up, the printer kicks out a partially printed page.

These sorts of problems are exacerbated by the increased complexity of
both printer drivers and the complexity of printing algorithms in the
Windows apps themselves. For example, a very complicated web page may
simply not print at all. And, of course, any application that prints
complicated information (read: Adobe products) can exceed printer memory
capacity.

There are also a couple of driver options that can mitigate these sorts
of printing problems, but I have found that maxing out printer memory
and using PostScript lead to the most error-free printing... Ben Myers
Old October 16th 10, 02:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bruce Varney

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the replies, looks like I need to increase the PC memory to 4Gb.

It is not possible to increase the memory of the Epson 1290 printer.

OK, PostScript printing, how exactly can I do this? Can it be done from
within Photoshop CS3 or do I need to run some other program to do this?

Bruce..

Old October 17th 10, 05:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Bruce,

You can only do PostScript printing if the printer itself has PostScript
built in. But this leads to another workaround. I do not have direct
hands-on knowledge of all the Adobe products, but I have printed a lot
with Acrobat, which allows you to select a print option to build a PDF
print image as a bitmap in main computer memory, thereafter printing the
result. This was noted a Adobe as a workaround for the various and
sundry printing problems that plagued Acrobat, especially with HP's
Printer Control Language (PCL). Perhaps you can do the same with the
Adobe products you use? The advanced properties for an Acrobat printer
dialog box give you a check box "Print as image"... Ben Myers
Old October 17th 10, 05:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Ben, one of my favorite free print utilities is "cutepdf". I think
it's actually called cutepdf writer. It's basically a Print to PDF
utility. I use it a lot when I don't want to waste paper or lack a
printer.

Just for the sake of others, I'm just an end user with no benefits
plugging this free software.