XP setup not reading disk files

Old August 23rd 03, 01:09 AM
Keland

Default XP setup not reading disk files

My harddrive went down and I replaced it. Now I am trying to reload XP.
I booted from my CDR and formated the new HD.
The problem startes when XP tries to copy the system Cabs from the disk
It keeps telling me that it can't read or copy the file it is looking for on
the CD. This used to happen to me back in the days of 98. Is there a way to
copy the disk to the HD in dos and then setup XP like I used to do (from
the HD) with 98? Or does any one have any ideas as to setting up the OS.
Thanks

Old August 23rd 03, 02:40 AM
Ken'

Try cleaning the CD disk.
Ken'

"Rob" wrote in message

Remove "SPAM" to reply.
"Keland" wrote in message
My harddrive went down and I replaced it. Now I am trying to reload

XP.
I booted from my CDR and formated the new HD.
The problem startes when XP tries to copy the system Cabs from the

disk
It keeps telling me that it can't read or copy the file it is looking

for
on
the CD. This used to happen to me back in the days of 98. Is there a way

copy the disk to the HD in dos and then setup XP like I used to do

(from
the HD) with 98? Or does any one have any ideas as to setting up the OS.
Thanks

I would say your CDROM is going bad. (very common) If you have a extra

try
it.
Rob

Old August 23rd 03, 02:45 AM
Anthony PDC

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 21:40:28 -0400, "Ken'" wrote:

Try cleaning the CD disk.
Ken'

"Rob" wrote in message

Remove "SPAM" to reply.
"Keland" wrote in message
My harddrive went down and I replaced it. Now I am trying to reload

XP.
I booted from my CDR and formated the new HD.
The problem startes when XP tries to copy the system Cabs from the

disk
It keeps telling me that it can't read or copy the file it is looking

for
on
the CD. This used to happen to me back in the days of 98. Is there a way

copy the disk to the HD in dos and then setup XP like I used to do

(from
the HD) with 98? Or does any one have any ideas as to setting up the OS.
Thanks

I would say your CDROM is going bad. (very common) If you have a extra

try
it.
Rob

Your XP CD prolly got jam/fingerprints on it or something. Or if yr
CD-ROM drive lens is similarly contaminated, get a CD-ROM cleaner. No
point in trying to copy the CD - it's encrypted and at any rate if
your CD-ROM drive can't read it in the FIRST place...
Regards,

Anthony

Asus P4P800/XP
Old August 23rd 03, 03:37 PM
Peter Ives

In article
, Hank Oredson writes

"Keland" wrote in message
My harddrive went down and I replaced it. Now I am trying to reload XP.
I booted from my CDR and formated the new HD.
The problem startes when XP tries to copy the system Cabs from the

disk
It keeps telling me that it can't read or copy the file it is looking for on
the CD. This used to happen to me back in the days of 98. Is there a way

copy the disk to the HD in dos and then setup XP like I used to do (from
the HD) with 98? Or does any one have any ideas as to setting up the OS.
Thanks

Copy the i386 directory to your hard drive.

Note that the install is going to be a lot, lot slower though. There's
a DOS program that is essential when installing XP from the HD, though I
just can't think of it at the mo. It helps speeding up file access/disk
copying I believe.
--
Peter Ives
Remove ALL_STRESS only before sending me an email

novice asks - Installing a scanner John McGaw General 8 September 20th 04 05:19 PM
Best drive configuration? Noozer General 20 May 27th 04 03:10 AM
RAID card for my PC?? TANKIE General 5 May 22nd 04 01:09 AM
Strange files saved the hard disk SunMyoung Yoon General 1 January 3rd 04 04:44 AM
Undo "compress old files" in Disk Cleanup utility? John McGaw Homebuilt PC's 0 June 22nd 03 10:23 PM