What are regulations for Easter trading? [OT]

Old April 16th 06, 04:10 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

Default What are regulations for Easter trading? [OT]

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 23:43:05 +0100, Sparks wrote:

"SteveH" wrote in message
k...
RiTSo wrote:

Andy wrote:

: ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
: close. Is this true?
:
: However Tesco says it will open between 6 am and midnight on Easter.
: Is this a typo? Must be? http://tinyurl.com/f9zb7
:
: M&S is normally open on a Sunday but will be closed on Easter day.
: http://tinyurl.com/z9yyv

I think it's something along the lines of shops over three thousand
square metres can only open for a maximum of six hours. The big ASDA
near here is open from 10-6 on a Sunday.

Not sure about M&S, maybe they took the decision themselves?

As I recall, it's a hell of a lot less than 3000m^2 'cos that would be a
bloody big shop. (Bear in mind, your average Safeway / Morrisons store
is only 30,000 square *feet*).

checks

It's 3000 square feet, not metres!

I did wonder where there is a shop that was 3 Kilometres wide and long!!

It's probably been posted elsewhere in this thread but

x*y sq m. = x m long * y m wide.

so somewhere that is 55 m square will be 3000 sq. m

You can replace 'm' with 'ft' to work out if your local will be open.

Lordy

Old April 16th 06, 04:17 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 23:43:05 +0100, Sparks wrote:

"SteveH" wrote in message
k...
RiTSo wrote:

Andy wrote:

[...]

so somewhere that is 55 m square will be 3025 sq. m

Old April 16th 06, 04:57 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

"Graham Murray" wrote in message
Andy writes:

ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
close. Is this true?

ISTR that there used to be 2 days in the year when all shops,
including Newsagents (hence no newspapers on those days), were
closed. These were Christmas day and Good Friday.

I don't think so. In some parts of the country it was
traditional to work Good Friday and take Tuesday as
a holiday instead.

tim

Old April 16th 06, 04:59 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

"John Patrick" wrote in message

Because many of those "silly people" would have to work on a day that is
religously important to them. WTF is the problem with many shoppers?
Why
can't they cope if the shops are going to be shut for twenty four hours?

Never ceases to amaze me the panic that gets into people when the big
shops
shut for a day or the sheer hysterical buying if they shut for 2 days. You
would think some people are stocking up to try and see themselves through
nuclear winter.

The intelligence of the average UK shopper

Do you really think that this is restricted to UK residents?

I assure you, it's the same the world over.

tim

Old April 16th 06, 05:02 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 12:31:27 GMT, "me" wrote:

"RiTSo" wrote in message
o.uk...
Sparks wrote:

:: It's 3000 square feet, not metres!

: I did wonder where there is a shop that was 3 Kilometres wide and
: long!!

3km x 3km = 9000 square metres

I was brought up to understanding that we used feet and inches as
units of measurement in this country not the stupid foreign units of
measurement that you use here. The more people here go with the
European units of measurement etc the sooner we shall all have to be
using the damned Euro along with the rip-off that will entail sod the
EU .

Of course the UK is a paradise and nobody is getting ripped off unlike in
the EU where everything is so much more expensive. Right? Hmmm....Sure?
....Sod the EU? Who will Britain cling to. It needs something - it's no
longer the big player it once was...all empires fall....Stick with the US
you think?

Old April 16th 06, 05:05 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 14:56:01 GMT, "Brian Sharrock"
had this to say:

"Johannes" wrote in message

snip

Before you complain, you should try to learn the difference between meters
and square meters, feet and square feet.

And before you spout off in _UK_ newsgroups; _YOU_ should learn the
difference between _meters_(sic) and metres!

quote
The metre, symbol: m, is the basic unit of distance (or of "length", in the
parlance of the physical sciences) in the International System of Units. The
internationally-accepted spelling of the unit in English is "metre",
although the American English spelling meter is a common variant. However,
both American and non-American forms of English agree that the spelling
"meter" should be used as a suffix in the names of measuring devices such as
chronometers and micrometers.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metre
/quote

slightly OT
One of my pet rants is broadcasters who, when referring to km,
pronounce them as "kill-ommeters" rather than the correct
"killo-meters".
/slightly OT

:-)
--
Frank Erskine
Old April 16th 06, 05:05 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 13:33:18 GMT, Johannes
wrote:

Before you complain, you should try to learn the difference between meters
and square meters,

What are they!! you may endorse the use of foreign measurements in
this country I don't, a butcher I used to buy meat from took early
retirement a few years ago rather than be forced to use the foreign
units of measurement that was being forced up on him and other shop
keepers .
I would like to know why retailers and manufacturing companies fell
into line when the European units of measurement forced upon them I
can't see the government's enforcement agencies would have been able
to do anything about it had they ALL refused to follow like a flock of
sheep which they did .
Next news we will all be forced to drive on the right .

Idiot. You vote for UKIP by any chance? Do you think it is easier for
manufacturers and reataliers to work under one measurement standard or two?
One currency or two? What do you think?

Old April 16th 06, 05:10 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in message
. uk...

It's not important to me, so why should I lose out, why shouldn't I be
allowed to work that day?

Because the number of selfish ******s wanting to spend a day off with their
family/ friends/ own in front of the holiday telly outweighs the number of
selfish ******s who can't resist the urge to consume for 24 ****ing hours.

HTH