What are regulations for Easter trading? [OT]

Old April 16th 06, 09:21 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

Default What are regulations for Easter trading? [OT]

wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 17:02:52 +0100, "oO" wrote:

...Sod the EU? Who will Britain cling to. It needs something - it's no
longer the big player it once was...all empires fall....Stick with the US
you think?

It was the US that saved us from Hitler so why not I for one would
sooner stick with the US than any of the European countries at least
the US have proved they can be trusted .

For someone so passionate about the UK being independent you seem very eagre
to let the US swallow it up. Of course that has already happened. The UK is
simply the United States' unsinkable aircraft carrier.

=============
"The citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up
all of their rights unto the leader."

Old April 16th 06, 09:27 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

"Lordy.UK" wrote in message
. ..
Anyone religious is by their own admission a retard.

How so?

Because they choose to worship an institution that is not worthy of
worship.

In your opinion, which has already been shown to be a little... erm....
biased. Anyway, most religious folk don't worship institutions.

I'm all for having faith and something to believe in, but I'll be damned
if it's going to be the greed of the Church - which is an entirely human
concept.

So all churches are greedy and corrupt? Interesting viewpoint, but it still
doesn't indicate that anyone religious is retarded.

Why should the views of retards take precedence over those of
sane people ?

If the definition of sanity is to be judged by your yardstick,
I'll take the wishes of the insane any day of the week.

You are most welcome to them.

That's very kind of you, thanks.

To steer the thread back on topic, you may
have them bargain rate and entirely discounted to their true price of
'worthless'.

No good I'm afraid, as it's entirely your biased opinion.

WTF is the problem with many shoppers?

They are justifiably ****ed off because of bible bashing 'spack-lords'
forcing their fantasy crap onto other people.

Aww, did you not get any Easter eggs this morning?

Actally no, I didn't. Didn't buy any either.

Both myself and my missus thought "**** the church" and honoured the day
by buying each other selfish materialistic goods that were completely
non-chocolate based on Saturday.

Ah'ha1 So you didn't get your Easter egg. Shame, but you may want to get
your blood sugar level up a bit, its present low level appears to be
affecting your sanity.

--
Unlock Your Phone's Potential
www.uselessinfo.org.uk

Old April 16th 06, 09:46 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

" cupra" wrote in message

He's back! Where have you been, Dexter? Not bad health I hope?
PaulF

He's been away filming 'Grumpy Old Men' hasn't he?

I don't think 'grumpy' quite does him justice....
PaulF

Old April 16th 06, 09:48 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
writes
ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
close. Is this true?

Certainly not in Scotland.

--
Craig Cockburn ("coburn"). M.Sc., CITP,
Owner, http://www.siliconglen.com/
Old April 16th 06, 09:49 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

And the problem with that is?

Being stuck in the house with rellies ...

That's your personal issue, obviously.

It's how it works in France - works fine over there.

That's nice for them.

and people who have to work on those days (emergency
services etc) would never get a day off with their families.

Different situation. They work to a proper, regulated and legally
protected rota system which allows them proportionately more family time
than many other jobs.

Yes, but little point in them having time off on rota if their families
can only take Sunday off.

But that's obviously not the case. Sunday isn't the *only* day off, as
usually there's also a day off on a weekday. The point is that a
majority of the working population of the UK are guaranteed to be off on
Sunday, so it would only seem right that this also applied to retail
workers.

If people don't want to work Sundays in shops they don't have to, there
are plenty of other jobs.

No there aren't.

Of course there are. It's not as if shop work is particularly well paid
or rewarding.

Tell that to the hundreds of thousands of retail workers out there who
are doing the job because it's the only employment available to them.
(unskilled, unqualified, lacking experience in other fields are all
reasons why, for many people, there are no other reasonable options)

Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL
Old April 16th 06, 09:54 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 21:21:02 +0100, Owain
wrote:

oO wrote:
One. The *British* one.

So the rest of Europe should take on 'British' standards? LOL. Idiot.

If it wasn't for the British they'd all be speaking German anyway.

I thought that was the Americans...

--
I know it sounds like I'm in denial, but I'm not.
Old April 16th 06, 10:19 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

In message , SteveH
writes
RiTSo wrote:

Andy wrote:

: ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
: close. Is this true?
:
: However Tesco says it will open between 6 am and midnight on Easter.
: Is this a typo? Must be? http://tinyurl.com/f9zb7
:
: M&S is normally open on a Sunday but will be closed on Easter day.
: http://tinyurl.com/z9yyv

I think it's something along the lines of shops over three thousand
square metres can only open for a maximum of six hours. The big ASDA
near here is open from 10-6 on a Sunday.

Not sure about M&S, maybe they took the decision themselves?

As I recall, it's a hell of a lot less than 3000m^2 'cos that would be a
bloody big shop. (Bear in mind, your average Safeway / Morrisons store
is only 30,000 square *feet*).

checks

It's 3000 square feet, not metres!

My local ASDA is 100,000 sq ft. That's about 9,300 sq m.

Old April 16th 06, 10:19 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

oO wrote:
One. The *British* one.
So the rest of Europe should take on 'British' standards? LOL. Idiot.

If it wasn't for the British they'd all be speaking German anyway.

I thought that was the Americans...

True, if it wasn't for the Brits the Americans would be speaking German too
;-)

ETV

Old April 16th 06, 10:25 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

"Johannes" wrote in message

Before you complain, you should try to learn the difference between meters
and square meters, feet and square feet.

There is a subtle difference between a meter and a metre.

The former measures things. The latter is a unit of length.

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 12:31:27 GMT, "me" wrote:

"RiTSo" wrote in message
.uk...
Sparks wrote:

:: It's 3000 square feet, not metres!

: I did wonder where there is a shop that was 3 Kilometres wide and
: long!!
3km x 3km = 9000 square metres

I was brought up to understanding that we used feet and inches as
units of measurement in this country not the stupid foreign units of
measurement that you use here. The more people here go with the
European units of measurement etc the sooner we shall all have to be
using the damned Euro along with the rip-off that will entail sod the
EU .

Old April 16th 06, 10:34 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 17:02:52 +0100, "oO" wrote:

...Sod the EU? Who will Britain cling to. It needs something - it's no
longer the big player it once was...all empires fall....Stick with the US
you think?

It was the US that saved us from Hitler so why not I for one would
sooner stick with the US than any of the European countries at least
the US have proved they can be trusted .

US saved us from Hitler? In Hollywood maybe.

Back on earth it was the RAF that broke the back of the Luftwaffe, the Royal
Navy that destroyed the German Navy and the second front they opened up on
Russia that eventually ended Hitlers poor excuse of a Charlie Chaplain
impersonation.

All the US can be trusted to do is to turn up for a fight over 2 years late,
and then sing songs about how lucky everyone was that they arrived.

ETV