updated GA-8I945P-G bios, now unbootable

Old December 16th 05, 06:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Default updated GA-8I945P-G bios, now unbootable

I just put together a computer with a Gigabyte GA-8I945P-G mother
board. It came with a utility to upgrade the BIOS. I ran the program
and it seemed to have worked but when i restarted my computer it failed
to reboot. The computer turns on but nothing happens. I am almost
possitive I chose the correct model of mother board for the upgrade so
I don't think it's that. But I was stupid enough not to back up my BIOS
before upgrading. How do I fix this? What are my options? Thanks

Old December 16th 05, 07:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

flippereight wrote:
I just put together a computer with a Gigabyte GA-8I945P-G mother
board. It came with a utility to upgrade the BIOS. I ran the program
and it seemed to have worked but when i restarted my computer it
failed to reboot. The computer turns on but nothing happens. I am
almost possitive I chose the correct model of mother board for the
upgrade so I don't think it's that. But I was stupid enough not to
back up my BIOS before upgrading. How do I fix this? What are my
options? Thanks

Try resetting by removing the CMOS battery.

If that doesn't help you are pretty much out of luck unless the BIOS
EEPROM is removable and you know someone who has the identical MB. In
that case you could try this:

http://www.wimsbios.com/
9. How can you recover a corrupt BIOS ?

Solution 1: Boot-block BIOS

Modern motherboards have a boot-block BIOS. This is small area of the
BIOS that doesn't get overwritten when you flash a BIOS. The boot-block
BIOS only has support for the floppy drive. If you have a PCI video card
you won't see anything on the screen because the boot-block BIOS only
supports an ISA videocard.

Award: The boot-block BIOS will execute an AUTOEXEC.BAT file on a
bootable diskette. Copy an Award flasher & the correct BIOS *.bin file
on the floppy and execute it automaticly by putting awdflash *.bin in
the AUTOEXEC.BAT file.

AMI: The AMI boot-block BIOS will look for a AMIBOOT.ROM file on a
diskette. Copy and rename the correct BIOS file on the floppy and power
up the PC. The floppy doesn't need to be bootable. You will see the PC
read the floppy, after about 4 minutes you will hear 4 beeps, this means
the transfer is done. Reboot the PC and modify the CMOS for your
configuration.

Solution 2: Get a new BIOS chip

Contact your motherboard manufacturer to see if they sell BIOS chips.
Some motherboard manufacturers send them for free.
Contact a company that sells pre-flashed chips, like Unicore Software,
FlashBIOS.ORG or BadFlash

Solution 3: Hot-swapping

Note: I'm not responsible for any damage this method may do to you or
your computer !

Replace the corrupt chip by a working one. The best option is to take
the working BIOS chip from a motherboard which has the same chipset
although that's not absolutely necessary. It just has to give you a
chance of booting into DOS. Before pulling the working BIOS chip out of
it's original motherboard, set the System BIOS cacheable option in the
BIOS to enabled.
After you have put the working BIOS in the motherboard with the corrupt
BIOS boot the system to DOS (with a floppy or HD).
Now replace (while the computer is powered on) the working BIOS chip
with the corrupt one.
Flash an appropriate BIOS to the corrupt BIOS and reboot.

Note: Use a flasher from MRBIOS. They are known to work best. You can
find them at ftp://ftp.mrbios.com

Old December 16th 05, 07:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Travis Jordan wrote:
Solution 1: Boot-block BIOS

Modern motherboards have a boot-block BIOS. This is small area of the
BIOS that doesn't get overwritten when you flash a BIOS. The
boot-block BIOS only has support for the floppy drive. If you have a
PCI video card you won't see anything on the screen because the
boot-block BIOS only supports an ISA videocard.

Award: The boot-block BIOS will execute an AUTOEXEC.BAT file on a
bootable diskette. Copy an Award flasher & the correct BIOS *.bin file
on the floppy and execute it automaticly by putting awdflash *.bin in
the AUTOEXEC.BAT file.

Forgot to mention...if the Award flasher won't work, try Uniflash (use
the Award bin file).

http://www.uniflash.org/

Old February 19th 06, 07:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Hi

Gigabyte introduced a new BIOS system. The BIOS should be updated
using their QFlash application. QFlash is accessed from the BIOS
setup. See

http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard...ios_qflash.pdf

I think the @BIOS application you used from Windows is not compatible
with the the new BIOS system. I think only Gigabyte can help you now

Shanti