Problem with Canon Pixma ip4950

Old July 5th 13, 05:37 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers
Brian[_8_]

Default Problem with Canon Pixma ip4950

I have had a Canon Pixma ip4950 inkjet printer for some time, but it has
recently been acting up. When I send the first print instruction on a
particular day the printer clunks and rattles as it starts up, but then
fails to print, and shows "printer busy", even when it isn't.

To get it to work I have to unplug the USB lead from the printer and
then plug it back in. It then works OK for the rest of the day.

Please note that I shut down my PC at night, but I always make sure that
the printer is turned off via the front corner switch with the green
pilot light off, before I turn the mains power off.

This odd behaviour didn't occur when I first got it - has something
failed or is it something I have done?

Brian
Old July 5th 13, 07:58 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "Brian"

I have had a Canon Pixma ip4950 inkjet printer for some time, but it has
recently been acting up. When I send the first print instruction on a
particular day the printer clunks and rattles as it starts up, but then
fails to print, and shows "printer busy", even when it isn't.

To get it to work I have to unplug the USB lead from the printer and
then plug it back in. It then works OK for the rest of the day.

Please note that I shut down my PC at night, but I always make sure that
the printer is turned off via the front corner switch with the green
pilot light off, before I turn the mains power off.

This odd behaviour didn't occur when I first got it - has something
failed or is it something I have done?

Brian

And that PC is, what ?

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
Old July 5th 13, 08:29 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers
Brian[_8_]

From: "Brian"

I have had a Canon Pixma ip4950 inkjet printer for some time, but it
has recently been acting up. When I send the first print instruction
on a particular day the printer clunks and rattles as it starts up,
but then fails to print, and shows "printer busy", even when it isn't.

To get it to work I have to unplug the USB lead from the printer and
then plug it back in. It then works OK for the rest of the day.

Please note that I shut down my PC at night, but I always make sure
that the printer is turned off via the front corner switch with the
green pilot light off, before I turn the mains power off.

This odd behaviour didn't occur when I first got it - has something
failed or is it something I have done?

Brian

And that PC is, what ?

Windows 7 x64 self built, although the problem started when I was still
using Windows 7 x32.
Old July 5th 13, 10:16 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "Brian"

On 05/07/2013 19:58, David H. Lipman wrote:
From: "Brian"

[...]

Have you tried an alternate USB port ?

I'd look at the USB connection itself. The printer may have a problematic
USB interface.