disappointing overclock on 9800 pro

Old May 24th 04, 07:46 PM
Lee

Default disappointing overclock on 9800 pro

Hey

I am alittle disappointed with my o/c on a Powercolor 9800 pro, i know the
Powercolor cards are the not best o/cers but using ATITool its currently
found my GPU @405 and mem core currently @356 i was hoping for at least 410
on the GPU and about 360 on the mem, i have a Artiv VGA Silencer Rev 3 on
the 9800 pro with AS3 so heat can't be an issue, does the AGP vcore have any
effect on o/cing? i currently have it at 1.5v default would increasing this
have any effect?

TIA for any thoughts.
-----
Lee.
Old May 24th 04, 09:06 PM
Julian Richards

On Mon, 24 May 2004 18:46:28 GMT, Lee
wrote:

Hey

I am alittle disappointed with my o/c on a Powercolor 9800 pro, i know the
Powercolor cards are the not best o/cers but using ATITool its currently
found my GPU @405 and mem core currently @356 i was hoping for at least 410
on the GPU and about 360 on the mem, i have a Artiv VGA Silencer Rev 3 on
the 9800 pro with AS3 so heat can't be an issue, does the AGP vcore have any
effect on o/cing? i currently have it at 1.5v default would increasing this
have any effect?

I had been running my 9800 SE at certain speeds for some time with no
problems. I then tried ATITool which found it's stable point at levels
lower than I had been running already. I went back to my original
values and have had no problems since.
--

Julian Richards
computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

XP Home
L7S7A2 motherboard
Powercolor 9800 SE 8 pipelines 438/364 with Omega drivers
1 GB RAM
10 GB + 80 GB HDs
CD+DVD/CDRW drives
Old May 24th 04, 09:44 PM
JTS

Increasing the 1.5v to a higher number will typically have no impact on your
overclock.. It can help stability, though.
Is the VGA Silencer making good contact with the GPU?

Todd

Old May 24th 04, 10:36 PM
Asestar

Don't rely on Ati-tool too much. Use Radclocker and use real games to check
for artifacts. Your's should run at least at 430/360. That's for sure.

My Powercolor 9600se , with custom Celeron566 heatsink(no-fan), can be
clocked from 325/200 to 380/225 and still be stable.

Old May 24th 04, 11:04 PM
Lee

Yes the VGA silencer is making real good contact i have had it of to make
sure of this and it definately is so can't be that.

I would like to try higher but am concerned about frying the card heh

On Mon, 24 May 2004 16:44:38 -0400, "JTS" wrote:

:Increasing the 1.5v to a higher number will typically have no impact on your
:overclock.. It can help stability, though.
:Is the VGA Silencer making good contact with the GPU?
:
:Todd
:
:
:"Lee" wrote in message
: Hey
:
: I am alittle disappointed with my o/c on a Powercolor 9800 pro, i know the
: Powercolor cards are the not best o/cers but using ATITool its currently
: found my GPU @405 and mem core currently @356 i was hoping for at least
:410
: on the GPU and about 360 on the mem, i have a Artiv VGA Silencer Rev 3 on
: the 9800 pro with AS3 so heat can't be an issue, does the AGP vcore have
:any
: effect on o/cing? i currently have it at 1.5v default would increasing
:this
: have any effect?
:
: TIA for any thoughts.
: -----
: Lee.
:

-----
Lee.
Old May 25th 04, 11:16 AM
Mike

wrote:

Hey

I am alittle disappointed with my o/c on a Powercolor 9800 pro, i know the
Powercolor cards are the not best o/cers but using ATITool its currently
found my GPU @405 and mem core currently @356 i was hoping for at least 410
on the GPU and about 360 on the mem, i have a Artiv VGA Silencer Rev 3 on
the 9800 pro with AS3 so heat can't be an issue, does the AGP vcore have any
effect on o/cing? i currently have it at 1.5v default would increasing this
have any effect?

TIA for any thoughts.
-----
Lee.

Probably varies from card to card, I've not tries pushing my card to its max,
but my Powercolor 9800 Pro has been running for months at 410/365 also using the
Arctic Cooler (Rev 1)

Mike
Old May 25th 04, 12:27 PM
Chip

"JTS" wrote in message
Increasing the 1.5v to a higher number will typically have no impact on

your
overclock.. It can help stability, though.
Is the VGA Silencer making good contact with the GPU?

I know that's the theory, but its not how things work on my rig.

At 1.5v I can get my 9700 Pro to around 380 core. If I increase it 1.6v,
the I can get over 400 without problems. I guess it could be that maybe my
mainboard undervolts AGP a little, and the extra 0.1v just bumps it up to
"normal" level? Dunno. Anyway, for whatever the reason, increasing Vagp
does help my overclock.

Chip