Why No Bluetooth Icon In the Taskbar?

Old June 14th 19, 11:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
tb

Default Why No Bluetooth Icon In the Taskbar?

I have Microsoft Windows 10, 64-bit installed on a desktop PC. The
motherboard does not have Bluetooth capability.

I purchased a Logitech H800 Wireless Headset from Best Buy:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-h800-wireless-headset-black/3436994.p?skuId=3436994

It came with its own plug-and-play USB nano receiver which was already
paired with the headset. Everything works just fine.

According to the specs posted by Best Buy, the wireless connectivity
between the headset and the USB nano receiver is via Bluetooth.

So, why is there no Bluetooth icon in the PC's taskbar? Would such icon
appear only if the motherboard had Bluetooth capability?
--
tb
Old June 15th 19, 12:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

tb wrote:

I have Microsoft Windows 10, 64-bit installed on a desktop PC. The
motherboard does not have Bluetooth capability.

I purchased a Logitech H800 Wireless Headset from Best Buy:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-h800-wireless-headset-black/3436994.p?skuId=3436994

It came with its own plug-and-play USB nano receiver which was already
paired with the headset. Everything works just fine.

According to the specs posted by Best Buy, the wireless connectivity
between the headset and the USB nano receiver is via Bluetooth.

So, why is there no Bluetooth icon in the PC's taskbar? Would such icon
appear only if the motherboard had Bluetooth capability?

In your prior post, you bought Bose Quietcomfort 35 II Noise Canceling
headphones ($350 MSRP) which did not include a Bluetooth USB dongle (but
available at an additional $15 cost).

Now you're saying you bought a Logitech H800 wireless headset ($100
MSRP) that does include a Blueooth USB dongle.

You paid another $100 (atop of the $350 Bose) to get another headset
that includes a BT USB dongle instead of just paying $15 to get the BT
USB dongle by itself (to use with the $350 Bose)?

As for the tray icon, are you showing all tray icons? Or did you
configure the taskbar to hide some of them? If the latter, did you look
at the hidden tray icons to see if there was a BT icon there?

Did you yet install the software for the H800 headset?

https://support.logitech.com/en_us/p...h800/downloads

Under the Bluetooth settings, did you enable the "Show the Bluetooth
icon in the notification area" option?

Settings app - Devices - Bluetooth & other devices
More Bluetooth options, Options tab
Old June 15th 19, 01:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
tb

On 06/14/2019 06:53 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
tb wrote:

[...]

I returned the Bose headphone...

As for the tray icon, are you showing all tray icons? Or did you
configure the taskbar to hide some of them? If the latter, did you look
at the hidden tray icons to see if there was a BT icon there?

There is no hidden icon.

Did you yet install the software for the H800 headset?

https://support.logitech.com/en_us/p...h800/downloads

No I did not install it. I will do it in the next few days.

Old June 15th 19, 06:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

tb wrote:

[...]

Check Device Manager (Right Click the Start Orb and it's in the menu).

The Bluetooth device should have an entry near the top.

That's to prove a USB endpoint formed (the device was detected),
as well as the OS has installed a driver. You can check the names
of the driver files.

https://i.postimg.cc/0j7mgM44/bluetooth-stuff.gif

Paul

Old June 15th 19, 04:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 6/14/2019 6:28 PM, tb wrote:
I have Microsoft Windows 10, 64-bit installed on a desktop PC.Â* The
motherboard does not have Bluetooth capability.

I purchased a Logitech H800 Wireless Headset from Best Buy:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-h800-wireless-headset-black/3436994.p?skuId=3436994

It came with its own plug-and-play USB nano receiver which was already
paired with the headset.Â* Everything works just fine.

According to the specs posted by Best Buy, the wireless connectivity
between the headset and the USB nano receiver is via Bluetooth.

So, why is there no Bluetooth icon in the PC's taskbar?Â* Would such icon
appear only if the motherboard had Bluetooth capability?

I use an add-on BT dongle on my desktop and would expect that any such
device would be handled natively by Windows. In my case the icon shows up
in the notification/tray area but only after I hit the "up" arrow to reveal
the extras (along with the "add/remove", HD audio, Logitech
mouse/keyboard, Core Temp, Drobo, MS Home Server, EaseUS Todo and other
stuff I don't want displayed constantly).
Old June 17th 19, 08:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Anssi Saari

tb writes:

According to the specs posted by Best Buy, the wireless connectivity
between the headset and the USB nano receiver is via Bluetooth.

At least Logitech doesn't seem to say exactly that the nano receiver
uses Bluetooth. So maybe it's something else. Device manager might tell
you more about the nano receiver.
Old June 17th 19, 03:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 6/17/2019 3:02 AM, Anssi Saari wrote:
tb writes:

According to the specs posted by Best Buy, the wireless connectivity
between the headset and the USB nano receiver is via Bluetooth.

At least Logitech doesn't seem to say exactly that the nano receiver
uses Bluetooth. So maybe it's something else. Device manager might tell
you more about the nano receiver.

I believe that the Logitech dongle works on the same frequency as BT but
doesn't follow the normal protocols. It certainly doesn't show up when
other devices, BT headphones or mobile phones for example, are brought into
range -- no pairing offered. They don't seem to interfere with each other
though since my current desktop has both plugged in and both work unhindered.
Old June 17th 19, 10:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

tb writes:

According to the specs posted by Best Buy, the wireless connectivity
between the headset and the USB nano receiver is via Bluetooth.

At least Logitech doesn't seem to say exactly that the nano receiver
uses Bluetooth. So maybe it's something else. Device manager might tell
you more about the nano receiver.

I believe that the Logitech dongle works on the same frequency as BT but
doesn't follow the normal protocols. It certainly doesn't show up when
other devices, BT headphones or mobile phones for example, are brought
into range -- no pairing offered. They don't seem to interfere with each
other though since my current desktop has both plugged in and both work
unhindered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logite...fying_receiver

https://github.com/BastilleResearch/...nifying-dongle

Logitech Unifying dongle (model C-U0007, Nordic Semiconductor based)

nRF24L

75 page specification.

https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/...ion_v1 _0.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freque...y-shift_keying

So far, I see "126 channels", but the word "hopping" does not
occur. To support the six device max for the protocol, the device
*might* be using six separate channels. It's hard to tell from
a first scan of the document.

I also didn't see any discussion of channel negotiation, or
how two devices function in lockstep (discovery).

So it isn't raw Bluetooth after all. Bluetooth is, I think,
frequency hopping over 85 1Mhz channels, while the Nordic Semiconductor
device is 126 channels, with variable channel width and data
rates.

For the unifying receiver to function, you would think
it needs to "channel scan" the selected RF channels, to look for one
of the up-to-six peripherals.

For me, I guess I'll need to find someones interpretation
of what the normal usage pattern is. I was hoping to
see a frequency diagram or something, to make the operating
principle more obvious.

Paul