Brother HL-1030 Printer leaving streaks

Old August 8th 06, 07:12 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

Default Brother HL-1030 Printer leaving streaks

I recently put this machine back into my setup. Didn't have it plugged
in for a while, just kinda sat there.

When I started printing, the first couple pages came out a bit light. I
assumed the toner was low so I continued printing. After the couple
pages, the next pages came out light, but the entire paper was dyed
grey by streaks. I replaced the toner with a sorta full toner and it's
still doing it.

Old August 8th 06, 09:43 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Don Phillipson

"Richard Steinfeld" wrote in message

The paper sits in out in the open vertically. This allows dust and dirt
to settle on the paper. If the slot is empty, the dust and dirt fall (by
gravity) directly into the machine. Ether way, all that crud winds up on
the drum. I found quite a bit of shmutz had entered the machine that way.

Some but not all Brother laser printers (e.g. model 730)
included a clear plastic cover over the paper hopper.
I cannot imagine why all models did not have this.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old August 8th 06, 11:16 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
~~NoMad~~

"Richard Steinfeld" wrote in message
I recently put this machine back into my setup. Didn't have it plugged
in for a while, just kinda sat there.

When I started printing, the first couple pages came out a bit light. I
assumed the toner was low so I continued printing. After the couple
pages, the next pages came out light, but the entire paper was dyed
grey by streaks. I replaced the toner with a sorta full toner and it's
still doing it.

I think that this is the same model that I recently picked up. If so,
here's my 2 cents:

The paper sits in out in the open vertically. This allows dust and dirt to
settle on the paper. If the slot is empty, the dust and dirt fall (by
gravity) directly into the machine. Ether way, all that crud winds up on
the drum. I found quite a bit of shmutz had entered the machine that way.

Brother's comments about streaking, "rhythmic" blemishes, etc., due to
this sort of situation is to use the printer; the dirt will work off the
drum. This is not my preferred method of handling this kind of problem. In
fact, I don't like the problem at all! These machines need to have their
innards kept free of household dust, which is abrasive -- and those drums
are not cheap!

I'm giving this printer to my son, and I'll see that he keeps that paper
slot covered when not in use. I have made simple paper covers over the
paper trays of my two HP inkjet printers. These HP printers are
deco-designed to make it pretty hard to cover the paper intakes.

Now, I hope that I didn't get your printer model nor your problem wrong!
That would put egg on my face, wouldn't it?

Richard

Good that you mentioned this. Do what I have done. Find a seamstress to sew
a custom cover for your printer and keep the cover on except when actually
printing. Have her use a dustproof material like naugihide.

NM