SATA Crap

Old June 26th 19, 10:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default SATA Crap

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 11:00:52 -0500, Char Jackson
wrote:

Locked up the hardware/controller for a unrecoverable timing/thrash
error, so I went to terminate the program doing the copying. While I'm
waiting the recovery and program to end, the electricity experienced a
brown-out surge, resetting the computer.

A UPS might have helped with that.

Of course it would have, along with everything else critical to power.
When it's nothing else, however, it sort of veers off into how much is
computer worth that just sits and effectively idles ... (not much
probably on an average capacity of average users).

Leaving for a residual build quality, or how well the computer is
designed for critical interruptions or non-UPS dependency. Veering
off again but instead into quality. My MB thinks it's tough, rough
and ready for rugged environments, although it's not MIL or commercial
spec'd I'll wager. Last and finally, leaving the HDDs, either/or and
pretty much WD or Seagate and how much tow one cares to put into
those.

My time's past a UPS, though, not to get me wrong, I've had one before
and performed fairly. I'll gamble and take my chances on a bet I
took, essentially, forgoing DVDs, never really considering BlueRay,
and now on principle backed up, twice, over multiple HDDs.

One goes out, I loose $60. That's basically where the LCD is sitting
for a FAT32, 2T HDD, and where it's been priced (give or take not all
that much) for the past 10 years.

(Hanging loose for a SATA 1T SSD deal -- or getting closer to negating
a mechanical aspect and future possibility in storage dependencies.)
Old June 26th 19, 10:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 16:13:49 +0000, T. Ment
wrote:

I had a UPS once. It failed and smoked. It may have started a fire and
burned the house down, if I was not there to unplug it.

I never bought another UPS after that. I can live with computer crashes.
Not my house burned down.

Fans, 120V box and window fans, seems I once didn't misread, that
they're the No#1 cause of home fires. I think new designs are now
required to have a fusible inlet plug for hi-current/temp conditions.

Whatever. The fires I notice are big honkin' holes in the roof,
usually between a covered garage and living footage. Right where the
240V dryer sits. [Mine does double duty for a 220V Lincoln welder and
dryer, run over and adapted to a 60A fuse;- Hence the dryer is never,
ever run on an auto humidity sensor, but only timed.)

My UPS never recovered after a storm and continued power outage
condition. Disruption for at least a couple of weeks.

There's basically a motorcycle battery in UPS unit. Nickel dime
stuff, an $8-15 fair value battery. But they've jack them up, a lot
more from how long ago when I bought mine, probably three or more
times as expensive to buy now, and it's likely considered more
disposable than reconditioned units then available.

Anyway, screwing around tracking down motorcycle batteries wasn't any
longer appealing once I'd gotten to that point. Think about it.
When's the last time you put on heavy rubber gloves and, in between
pinching your nose shut, tore apart a battery with a prybar ... One
pretty sight, right?

That's what comes to mind, at least my mind, with the thought of a UPS
at my feet, on my carpet, .NOT. inside my house. Thank you.
Old June 27th 19, 12:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe[_9_]

T. Ment wrote:

Paul wrote:

A rule of thumb, is not to buy UPS supplies from the "bottom
tier" in the market. We tried that at work, bought around 100 UPS
boxes for office space. And had about 10% failures. None caused
fire.

Lucky you. Anything with 120v can cause fire.

I have data backups to restore if needed. My power flickers or
drops 2 or 3 times per year. The cost of a UPS, to cover such
small risk, isn't worth it.

I keep Windows backups, and I suffer from occasional power flickering.
That's why I use a regulator (Tripp Lite line conditioner, LC1200).
Switching to and from a battery would be a waste. I just want the
transient protection to keep my computer from spontaneously rebooting.
Sometimes other room things blink off and on while my computer remains
running without a glitch. With the line conditioner, the power is held
good until it cannot be held any longer, then it is dropped. When the
computer turns off, it stays off.

Another thing the voltage regulator does is let me keep an eye (or
ear) on the house/neighborhood voltage. It makes a noticeable click
whenever the voltage momentarily drops. Before the house electricity
was redone, it sometimes stayed in the yellow LED area for long
periods of time (not good) signifying low-voltage.

Old July 5th 19, 02:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shadow[_2_]

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 11:00:52 -0500, Char Jackson
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 02:31:20 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

Locked up the hardware/controller for a unrecoverable timing/thrash
error, so I went to terminate the program doing the copying. While I'm
waiting the recovery and program to end, the electricity experienced a
brown-out surge, resetting the computer.

A UPS might have helped with that.

An UPS is the first thing I buy after the computer.
I can't imagine switching the computer on without one.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

CRAP [email protected] General 3 December 8th 06 10:15 AM
who invented this crap? Mr.Bolshoy Huy General 15 September 28th 05 08:25 AM
Has MSI gone to crap? [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 8 January 2nd 05 04:37 PM
PCI-E is here. Oh....................crap Thomas G. Marshall Dell Computers 0 August 17th 04 04:39 PM
Is this card crap? me!! Nvidia Videocards 2 July 27th 04 12:51 AM