There's a bug in my printer, dear Liza, dear Liza...

Old March 23rd 05, 01:51 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Default There's a bug in my printer, dear Liza, dear Liza...

OK, not a bug, a crane fly (but that wouldn't have scanned), but it fell in
down the paper tray and I didn't see it fly out... (the unit in question is
an R800).

I have lifted the lid and shone a torch around, but I couldn't see it, and I
hardly think the warranty covers "acts of insect".

If it is still in there, and has worked itself further down into the
mechanism (and I really don't want to have to dismantle it as I'm sure I
wouldn't be able to reassemble)

What damage could it cause - it wasn't one of the larger ones (I don't know
whether there are crane files in other parts of the world, but I assume
there must be) - it was about an inch or so, head to end of abdomen (they
can grow to 3" or so sometimes), but I'm concerned that, if I print, it will
'gum up the works" and damage the mechanism.

So, anyone any suggestions, or theories as to the damage a crane fly in the
works would do...?

Old March 23rd 05, 03:42 AM
Dan G

I wouldn't sweat it. But it might turn up in one of your prints. Oh my, do
you suppose it's making a nest in there?

Old March 23rd 05, 02:00 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

pete wrote:
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 01:51:43 -0000, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
wrote:

snip

So, anyone any suggestions, or theories as to the damage a crane fly
in the works would do...?

The worst it can do is lay a few million eggs.
Otherwise, it will dry up, dust to dust.

I realise that - I just didn't want squashed fly on my photos....

Thanks folks...

Old March 23rd 05, 11:14 PM
Hecate

wrote:

So, anyone any suggestions, or theories as to the damage a crane fly in the
works would do...?

The only suggestion I can think of is careful application of canned
air to try and blow anything out...

--

Hecate - The Real One

Old March 26th 05, 01:26 PM
Arthur Entlich

Trying any of the suggestions below are done with the acknowledgment
that you may be taking a risk of damaging your person or your printer,
and as such, you assume full responsibility for any such damage or accident.

Hmmm... I deal with printer bugs quite regularly, but they usually
aren't quite so organic.

The good thing about crane flies is they have little actual "bug
density" to them. They usually desiccate pretty quickly once they die.

I would try to find some inkjet "cleaning pages" if some still exist, or
*maybe* use the ones designed for the older fax machines, and run it
through the printer with no printing occurring (just using the load and
eject buttons a few time) Hopefully, any bug remnants will get stuck to
the paper and come out.

Art

Old March 26th 05, 01:33 PM
Arthur Entlich

I was just thinking, you could probably turn your printer over and give
it a few shakes, and see if anything falls out. Don't leave it upside
down for a prolonged period as the waste ink pads might start to drip
ink into the printer interior.

Same caveats apply... at your own risk.

Art

Dan G wrote:

[...]

tip: lpr printer to the router's printer port lew@csus_abcdefg.edu Printers 0 January 4th 05 02:28 AM
Using HP Deskjet 5850 Wireless Printer with Airport Express, OS X, WEP & WPA Terri Printers 0 August 1st 04 07:21 PM
Solution: printing directly to a networked printer JP Printers 0 February 15th 04 11:44 PM
Optra R networking JP Printers 1 February 15th 04 11:35 PM
Linux to emulate/act as a printer. Peteris Krumins General 0 December 26th 03 04:22 AM