reinstall Windows ME?

Old July 25th 03, 07:35 AM
Al Knowles

Default reinstall Windows ME?

Help! I've made a mess.

I have a Gateway 2000 which came with Windows ME. Three months ago, I used
Partition Magic to create a separate partition so I could switch seamlessly
between Windows ME
and Windows 2000. This was all working great until this
morning.

This morning some dll failed validation while bringing up Windows ME. (I
could kick myself for not writing it down, it may have been VSUtil.dll but I
am not sure.) I experienced a weird problem with email and online forms.
The cursor would not appear in the body of an email or in the field of an
online form.

So, just to make an annoying problem even worse, I thought I would just
re-install IE Service Pack 6 to the Windows ME
side...this I will refer to as a VERY BAD IDEA.

When the computer attempted to reboot to Windows ME and
update system settings, it reported an error in installing
several DLL's. :mshtml.dll,mshtmled.dll,scrobj.dll,
proctexe.ocx,vgx.dll, etc...

Now, when the computer attempts to reboot to Windows ME,
it only gets as far as the sign on screen. When I click
cancel there, all it does is display the background image.
No programs are loaded.

My Windows ME installation is messed up bad. Can I reinstall ONLY Windows
ME from the GateWay REstore
Disk? If so, how is that done?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

Old July 26th 03, 01:22 AM
Edward J. Neth

The CD should have a full copy of Windows ME on it.

"Al Knowles" wrote in message
Should I have the Windows ME CD? I thought the OS was part of the Gateway
Restore diskette.

"Edward J. Neth" wrote in message
You can try installing Windows on top of itself (just boot the CD and

run
setup,overwriting the current installation). Before you do that, back

up
everything you cannot afford to lose, because there is the possibility

that
things may get worse.

Old July 30th 03, 01:54 AM
Jeff S.

Your restoration disc #2 has Windows ME on it - boot to it and install from
there if you're just installing over the top
Jeff