Photosmart pr. acting up

Old September 14th 05, 10:24 PM
PE

Default Photosmart pr. acting up

Hi all: I have an older, but relatively unused, HP photosmart printer model
C3804A, that uses cartridge nos. c3844a and c3845a. Recently, when trying
to use the printer, the printer utility advises that the cartridges are not
properly installed and recommends unseating, and then re-seating, the
cartridges, and, if that doesn't work, cleaning the contacts on the
cartridges and the corresponding contacts on the printer with a wet cloth.
I've done both of those things, but the problem persists. Would appreciate
any advice re. probable cause(s) of problem described above, and if problem
is with printer, whether it's user fixable. At today's prices, there's not
much point getting the printer repaired if it's broke, and there's no point
at all in purchasing new cartridges if the problem is with the printer.
Thanks for your replies!

Old September 15th 05, 06:43 AM
Bob Headrick

"PE" wrote in message
Hi all: I have an older, but relatively unused, HP photosmart printer model
C3804A, that uses cartridge nos. c3844a and c3845a. Recently, when trying
to use the printer, the printer utility advises that the cartridges are not
properly installed and recommends unseating, and then re-seating, the
cartridges, and, if that doesn't work, cleaning the contacts on the
cartridges and the corresponding contacts on the printer with a wet cloth.
I've done both of those things, but the problem persists. Would appreciate
any advice re. probable cause(s) of problem described above, and if problem
is with printer, whether it's user fixable.

If this ~ 10 year old printer has been sitting with the cartridges in them for
years they may have developed some electrical issues over time. I believe the
original Photosmart cartridges had an eighteen month shelf life vs. two years
on most of the other cartridges. This was due to the more aggressive inks used
in the original Photosmart. Check the warranty date on your cartridges as
shown at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...cname=bua02014.
If your cartridges are well past their warranty period they are most likely
your problem. I do not think that printer had any to override the cartridge
error to force a test page even with bad cartridges (as is possible with more
modern printers) so it is difficult to ensure the problem is not the printer.
That said, cartridges filled with ink do develop issues over time, the printer
is less likely to develop electrical or mechanical problems while sitting
unused.

Regards,