Toshiba Satellite A60

Old May 13th 10, 08:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Sydney

Default Toshiba Satellite A60

My Toshiba has deffective RAM. memtest86 shows it.

I have taken apart the whole machine and did not find RAM separate module.
It seems to me that the ram is included in the motherboard.
I called the Toshiba maintenance in France (where I am ) and they told me
that the memory module is separate and offer to replace it by buying a new
one !
I am puzzled.
Any advice on this ?

Old May 13th 10, 01:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
jfg

"Sydney" wrote in message
My Toshiba has deffective RAM. memtest86 shows it.

I have taken apart the whole machine and did not find RAM separate module.
It seems to me that the ram is included in the motherboard.
I called the Toshiba maintenance in France (where I am ) and they told me
that the memory module is separate and offer to replace it by buying a new
one !
I am puzzled.
Any advice on this ?

If memory is not in a compartment on the base (a handy location), then it's
probably under the keyboard. For sure you have a site that accepts updated
modules. Maybe a quick look-see at the manual would help. J

Old May 13th 10, 02:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Ken[_5_]

Sydney wrote:
My Toshiba has deffective RAM. memtest86 shows it.

I have taken apart the whole machine and did not find RAM separate
module. It seems to me that the ram is included in the motherboard.
I called the Toshiba maintenance in France (where I am ) and they told
me that the memory module is separate and offer to replace it by buying
a new one !
I am puzzled.
Any advice on this ?

It appears that this laptop "has 256MB or 512MB on the motherboard."
You can view the manual at
http://209.167.114.38/support/Downlo...C/SA60EXUM.PDF

If your faulty RAM is on the MB, you are going to have a serious
problem overcoming it.
Old May 13th 10, 03:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Ken wrote:
Sydney wrote:
My Toshiba has deffective RAM. memtest86 shows it.

I have taken apart the whole machine and did not find RAM separate
module. It seems to me that the ram is included in the motherboard.
I called the Toshiba maintenance in France (where I am ) and they told
me that the memory module is separate and offer to replace it by buying
a new one !
I am puzzled.
Any advice on this ?

It appears that this laptop "has 256MB or 512MB on the motherboard."
You can view the manual at
http://209.167.114.38/support/Downlo...C/SA60EXUM.PDF

If your faulty RAM is on the MB, you are going to have a serious
problem overcoming it.

The manual says memory exists in two places. Memory is soldered to
the motherboard (256MB or 512MB). There is also a memory slot
on the bottom of the computer, covered by the "memory module cover"
(see page 56).

You would start, using the knowledge of how much memory is present
in the computer. If memtest86 says there is only 256MB or 512MB,
then the computer may not have an SODIMM in the slot. It could be
using just the motherboard (soldered down) memory. If the
soldered in place memory is bad, you'll need a new motherboard.

If the computer reports 1GB of memory, then some of the memory
is on the motherboard, and the rest is the SODIMM installed
on the bottom of the machine. If that was the case, you could
unplug the SODIMM and run memtest86 again, to test the soldered
down memory. If memtest86 passes, with the SODIMM unplugged,
then you won't need a new motherboard.

This is supposed to be a photo of the A60/A65, showing an added
memory module.

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptop...iba_A65_02.jpg

The onboard memory is supposed to be in the upper center of the
photo, under the gold colored material. I can't tell if that
is an actual module, or just chips soldered to the motherboard.

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptop...iba_A65_17.jpg

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/images...otherboard.jpg

Paul
Old May 13th 10, 06:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Ken[_5_]

Paul wrote:
Ken wrote:
Sydney wrote:
[...]

I have a theoretical question for you: Do you think the MB would work
if the on board RAM were disabled and additional RAM were installed into
the RAM slot? Most MB's adjust the RAM when polled upon start up.
Supposed (and most people would never attempt to do this) the on board
RAM were disabled by opening the CAS and RAS lead or even the power lead
for the IC? Would the first RAM seen then be that installed in the
slot? Just curious.

Old May 13th 10, 07:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Ken wrote:
Paul wrote:
Ken wrote:

I have a theoretical question for you: Do you think the MB would
work if the on board RAM were disabled and additional RAM were installed
into the RAM slot? Most MB's adjust the RAM when polled upon start up.
Supposed (and most people would never attempt to do this) the on board
RAM were disabled by opening the CAS and RAS lead or even the power lead
for the IC? Would the first RAM seen then be that installed in the
slot? Just curious.

That is a good question. Based on the way regular motherboards,
chipsets, and BIOS work, I would say there is no special dependence
on soldered down memory. The situation could be quite different
for some older equipment. But modern stuff doesn't really
care which slots are populated.

As far as I know, you don't need RAM to start the boot process.
And the Northbridge is likely disabled, as far as memory operation
goes, and is turned on by some of the BIOS code. That is why
there should be more flexibility about what bank(s) have to be
working.

You'd have to be careful, with respect to what you cut. If you
have a "private" signal on the memory bank you can play with,
that might be OK. But snipping any controlled impedance, bussed
signals would be a more dangerous proposition.

Still, I like your idea. If you could figure it out, then chances
are you could try exactly what you suggest.

One thing I can't tell you, is whether a modern BIOS is dependent
on having a working SPD chip or not, for each slot. The BIOS
actually has two ways to config/test memory. It can use the SPD EEPROM
and the declared config information, to understand what size memory
is installed. But the BIOS can also do probes on the memory, to
verify the size (that is how the BIOS can properly configure
a computer, even when the contents of the SPD are wrong). What
I can't tell you, is whether the hooks are still in
the BIOS, to do Plug and Play based purely on probing. If it
had the capability to probe, then disabling the SPD chip would
not be enough to prevent the memory from being detected.
And then you'd have to go after something like a CS#.

The soldered down memory might have an SPD chip, which is what
I'd attack first. Followed by looking for something like CS#.
Since I don't know what hides under that "gold colored material"
in the pictures, I don't know how difficult it would be to
disable the memory on the OPs board. We'd really need to see
a closeup photograph of what is underneath. If it was just a
regular SODIMM, the removal/disabling might be rather easy.
I don't really see much advantage to the manufacturer soldering
memory chips right to the motherboard, because of the danger
the memory might not pass on a factory memory test. It would
be more of an advantage for the memory to be modular and
removable.

Paul
Old May 14th 10, 08:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Sydney

"Joel" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :
"Sydney" wrote:

My Toshiba has deffective RAM. memtest86 shows it.

I have taken apart the whole machine and did not find RAM separate
module.
It seems to me that the ram is included in the motherboard.
I called the Toshiba maintenance in France (where I am ) and they told me
that the memory module is separate and offer to replace it by buying a
new
one !
I am puzzled.
Any advice on this ?

I don't have the same model you have to give wrong advice. But my
Toshiba, HP, Dell, and Sony all store the memory in the component on the
back of the laptops

These are the steps you need to do.

1. Taking the whole laptop apart piece by piece. Then put them back
together to the original form. Or better NOT to take it apart.

2. Look on the back of the laptop, you should see few small components,
and
one of them is where you find the MEMORY stick(s). It's either 1 or 2
small
screws.

3. I would suggest to Google for the DFP manual, or a PHOTO of it.

Also about the "RAM separate module" I don't really know exactly what "RAM
separate module" is, so I guess "Memory" or "Memory stick" is another name
for it.

Thanks to all contributors to this problem.
I really appreciated.
Based on all the anwers i can say that my bad memory is soldered to the
motherboard.
End of story.
I am not sure i'll go until replacement of MB.

Toshiba Satellite problem JFG General 7 June 26th 08 02:47 PM
Toshiba Satellite A210-11B Paweł Szaga General 1 October 24th 07 04:54 PM
HP nx9020 vs Toshiba Satellite L10-119 neswiedz General 0 March 24th 05 03:47 PM
resetting Toshiba Satellite BIOS password - need toshiba manuals blq knight General 2 December 1st 04 08:35 PM
Need help taking Toshiba Satellite Pro Apart purplestallion General Hardware 1 July 2nd 04 03:23 PM