new to 64 bit question ............

Old June 20th 05, 11:10 PM
SL

Default new to 64 bit question ............

Hey all,

Ive been an AMD man from the very start. But I have yet to get my first 64
bit version, and its a little trickier than I first thought. I have a new
AOPEN AK86-L board on the way. I also am getting a generic new 400w psu and
Themaltake cpu cooler. I will add my Simpletech (2x512) pc3200 ram to it
from my current board. Also, I will carry over the faithful 9800 pro for
now as well.

But, I still have yet to buy a new chip for the board. I do a lot of Newegg
purchasing, and reading as well. I see for my board (socket 754), that my
budget will allow from 2800+ to 3000+ for the 64 bit chips. But the price
is almost double for the 3000. Is it that much different to justify the
speed? Im looking at the Newcastle line I believe. I dont want to buy the
duron or celeron versions of the line. I think that would be the Sempron.
Does that make sense?

Anyways, with what I have, can I safely overclock to a 3000+ with a 2800+ ?
I would just hate to go to the latest board/chip and not do much better than
my current AMD 3000+ (333) rig. Or will I?

Any tips or good reading sites are welcome as always.

Thanks group,
SL

Old June 20th 05, 11:34 PM
Lee

Don't buy the old board, go with a Socket 939 as the other ones are no
longer in production. if you want to upgrade later on, it will be a simple
drop a new cpu in, if you go with the socket 754 your already adding out of
date equitment you can't upgrade.
btw, newegg is great.

-Lee

Old June 21st 05, 12:52 AM
Cuzman

Lee wrote:

" Don't buy the old board, go with a Socket 939 as the other ones are
no longer in production. if you want to upgrade later on, it will be a
simple drop a new cpu in, if you go with the socket 754 your already
adding out of date equitment you can't upgrade. "

I'd also add that a generic 300W PSU is not adviseable for an Athlon 64,
Radeon 9800 Pro and 1GB RAM.
Old June 21st 05, 04:26 AM
Ed Light

don't forget alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old June 21st 05, 10:28 PM
SL

Too late, the board arrived today. I figure it was cost efficient enough to
experiment with. I will make my next board one of the 939/754 compatible
ones. That way, I can carry the chip I choose on over....baby steps, baby
steps.

thanks for all the info group,
SL

Old June 22nd 05, 10:31 PM
Ed Light

A hybrid may not be able to use the x2 cpus.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old June 29th 05, 07:48 PM
dawg

?
I would just hate to go to the latest board/chip and not do much better

than
my current AMD 3000+ (333) rig. Or will I?

Any tips or good reading sites are welcome as always.

Thanks group,
SL

No.There's not that much difference. You can overclock a 2800+ a bit and run
it as a 3000+ easily. My 2800+(1800mhz) is running perfectly at 2250mhz
with no extra cooling. Just some tweaks to FSB,voltage and HTT in the BIOS.