Bye bye PCTools

Old August 11th 07, 09:48 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
johannes

Default Bye bye PCTools

johannes wrote:

I was about to purchase the full version of PCTools Registry Mechanics
online. It seems a good product and I had already used the trial
version. But you need the full version to fix all the problem that it
finds. This may me handy, I thought. Went through all the web pages and
was happy with the price, it included a £10 discount. Filled in all the
details and CC number and was just to press the final submit button.

Then I spotted a paragraph at the bottom where it was stated that I
also committed to a continuous annual subscription for upgrades, and
that this would automatically be charged on my credit card. I could of
course opt out, but not there and then. Opting out would involve
sending an email to a billing department within a time frame, and
hoping that they would acknowledge and respond to it in due course.
Such hassle I can well do without.

This fact alone caused me to abandon the purchase of PCTools and
choosing an alternative product. Vendors beware!

And while I'm at it, another gripe for Uniblue's SpeedUpMyPC, a 'Free'
download for Tucows... With five stars in Tucows, that looked all very
promising. No mentioning that it was a trial or a demo. So I downloaded,
installed and ran it. SpeedUpMyPC diagnosed 203 issues that could be
fixed for optimising my PC. But... wouldn't tell what the issues were,
and of course wouldn't fix the issues. To do that you would have to
purchase the official version online. The so-called free download was
completely useless, I felt that I've been had. As it were, the software
is probably good value, but why can't they be up-front with what you get
in the first place? That makes you think: What else are they not telling
you? It's now uninstalled!