Creating a bootable partition on a new harddrive

Old February 2nd 05, 01:17 AM
Ken

Default Creating a bootable partition on a new harddrive

Hello,

I am running Windows 2000 Pro and I have added a new hard drive,
creating 2 partitions.

Now I want to make both drive bootable. How do I do that?
Can I even do that?

TIA.

Ken

Old February 2nd 05, 08:15 AM
Bob H

Ken wrote:
Hello,

I am running Windows 2000 Pro and I have added a new hard drive,
creating 2 partitions.

Now I want to make both drive bootable. How do I do that?
Can I even do that?

TIA.

Ken

You can use Partition Magic or something similar to make active primary
partitions, you can only have 1 partition active primary partition at a
time. In other words you cannot have 2 active primary partitions at
once or whilst using any OS.

Get a partitioning tool and find out how to use it and what will it do
first.

--
Bob H
Leeds UK
Old February 2nd 05, 12:47 PM
Folkert Rienstra

Bob H wrote:
Ken wrote:
Hello,

I am running Windows 2000 Pro and I have added a new hard drive,
creating 2 partitions.

Now I want to make both drive bootable. How do I do that?
Can I even do that?

TIA.

Ken

You can use Partition Magic or something similar to make active primary
partitions,

you can only have 1 partition active primary partition at a time.

on a single drive (and depending on the bootcode in the MBR).

In other words you cannot have 2 active primary partitions at
once or whilst using any OS.

Clueless. You're on a roll, aren't you.

Get a partitioning tool and find out how to use it and what will it do first.

Rotflol.

Old February 3rd 05, 06:01 AM
Andy

On 1 Feb 2005 17:17:49 -0800, "Ken" wrote:

Hello,

I am running Windows 2000 Pro and I have added a new hard drive,
creating 2 partitions.

Now I want to make both drive bootable. How do I do that?
Can I even do that?

You have to create a primary partition on the new drive, and make the
partition active. Then set your BIOS to boot from the second drive.

TIA.

Ken

Old February 3rd 05, 05:21 PM
Bob H

Folkert Rienstra wrote:
Bob H wrote:

Ken wrote:

Hello,

I am running Windows 2000 Pro and I have added a new hard drive,
creating 2 partitions.

Now I want to make both drive bootable. How do I do that?
Can I even do that?

TIA.

Ken

You can use Partition Magic or something similar to make active primary
partitions,

you can only have 1 partition active primary partition at a time.

on a single drive (and depending on the bootcode in the MBR).

In other words you cannot have 2 active primary partitions at
once or whilst using any OS.

Clueless. You're on a roll, aren't you.

Get a partitioning tool and find out how to use it and what will it do first.

Rotflol.

Well apart from telling me I am clueless, what is you intelligent answer?
Have you done any MS hardware courses?

Clueless

--
Bob H
Leeds UK
Old February 3rd 05, 05:22 PM
Bob H

Folkert Rienstra wrote:
Bob H wrote:

Ken wrote:

Hello,

I am running Windows 2000 Pro and I have added a new hard drive,
creating 2 partitions.

Now I want to make both drive bootable. How do I do that?
Can I even do that?

TIA.

Ken

You can use Partition Magic or something similar to make active primary
partitions,

you can only have 1 partition active primary partition at a time.

on a single drive (and depending on the bootcode in the MBR).

In other words you cannot have 2 active primary partitions at
once or whilst using any OS.

Clueless. You're on a roll, aren't you.

Get a partitioning tool and find out how to use it and what will it do first.

Rotflol.

Ooops, nearly forgot, how many other ppl do you call clueless, troll?

--
Bob H
Leeds UK
Old February 3rd 05, 06:44 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"Bob H" wrote in message
Folkert Rienstra wrote:
Bob H wrote:
Ken wrote:

Hello,

I am running Windows 2000 Pro and I have added a new hard drive,
creating 2 partitions.

Now I want to make both drive bootable. How do I do that?
Can I even do that?

TIA.

Ken

You can use Partition Magic or something similar to make active primary
partitions,

you can only have 1 partition active primary partition at a time.

on a single drive (and depending on the bootcode in the MBR).

In other words you cannot have 2 active primary partitions at
once or whilst using any OS.

Clueless. You're on a roll, aren't you.

Get a partitioning tool and find out how to use it and what will it do first.

Rotflol.

Ooops, nearly forgot, how many other ppl do you call clueless, troll?

What, you own the rights to be the only one?

Oh, and get a clue about setting up your newsclient properly too.
Old February 3rd 05, 07:24 PM
Rod Speed

"Bob H" wrote in message
Folkert Rienstra wrote:
Bob H wrote:

Ken wrote:

Hello,

I am running Windows 2000 Pro and I have added a new hard drive,
creating 2 partitions.

Now I want to make both drive bootable. How do I do that?
Can I even do that?

TIA.

Ken

You can use Partition Magic or something similar to make active primary
partitions,

you can only have 1 partition active primary partition at a time.

on a single drive (and depending on the bootcode in the MBR).

In other words you cannot have 2 active primary partitions at
once or whilst using any OS.

Clueless. You're on a roll, aren't you.

Get a partitioning tool and find out how to use it and what will it do first.

Rotflol.

Ooops, nearly forgot, how many other ppl do you call clueless, troll?

Only about 250 according to groups.google |-)

Old February 3rd 05, 07:56 PM
Bob H

Rod Speed wrote:
"Bob H" wrote in message

Folkert Rienstra wrote:

Bob H wrote:

Ken wrote:

[...]

Yes, he does come up quite a lot in various discussions I see.
It would help if he gave a helpful reply rather than just sit and call
anyone else who tries 'Clueless'
Troll, I say.

--
Bob H
Leeds UK
Old February 3rd 05, 08:26 PM
Rod Speed

"Bob H" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:
"Bob H" wrote in message

Folkert Rienstra wrote:

Bob H wrote:

Ken wrote:

[...]

Looks rather more like another of those pathetic
creatures no longer kept in locked wards in my opinion.